Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Overlay Refused

sperman

I was at a match recently and had an edge hit on a target. When I asked for an overlay the CRO on the stage told me " The match director said we aren't using overlays at this match."

How would you react? (This was a Level 2 match.)

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

im not positive on the rules and if they are required to use an overlay or not.. but if it was that close i would have been pretty upset and would have asked to speak to the match director before anyone pasted the target and ask why they were not using overlays.

9.6.5 In the event that the Range Officer upholds the original score or penalty and the competitor is dissatisfied, he may appeal to the Chief Range

Officer and then to the Range Master for a ruling.

9.6.6 The Range Master’s ruling will be final. No further appeals are allowed

with respect to the scoring decision.

Scoring overlays approved by the Range Master must be used exclusively,

as and when required, to verify and/or determine the applicable

scoring zone of hits on paper targets.

Scoring overlays approved by the Range Master must be used exclusively,

as and when required, to verify and/or determine the applicable

scoring zone of hits on paper targets.

Hmmm. "Approved by the Range Master..."

So maybe the RM doesn't have to approve them?

I was at a match recently and had an edge hit on a target. When I asked for an overlay the CRO on the stage told me " The match director said we aren't using overlays at this match."

How would you react? (This was a Level 2 match.)

1. Who cares what the MD said? He's not in a position to make that call.

2. Time to ask for the RM. If the RM gives you the same response, it's time either to file an arbitration, or to file a complaint with NROI.....

....or maybe just accept the RO's call on the target and move on? That's what I have generally done, even when I'm not sure I agree with the call.

Overlays are misused as often as they are used. When you're using rough perforations on brown cardboard as your scoring lines, nothing you do is ever going to be 100% accurate.

I can tell you what went through my head at the time:

1. What kind of RO (CRO actually) doesn't grant the users request for an overlay.

2. If this really came from the match director, what's the point in asking for the RM. For all I know, they all agreed to it before the match.

If I had it to do over again, I would have asked to have the target pulled and called for the RM, but I can't guarantee that request would have been granted either.

2. If this really came from the match director, what's the point in asking for the RM.

It's not the Match Director's call. Officiating is up the the Range Master.

7.1.6 Range Master (“RM”) – has overall authority over all persons and

activities within the entire range, including range safety, the operation

of all courses of fire
and the application of these rules.
All match disqualifications and appeals to arbitration must be brought to his attention. The Range Master is usually appointed by and works with the

Match Director, however, in respect of USPSA sanctioned Level III

and Nationals matches, the appointment of the Range Master is subject

to the prior written approval of the Director of NROI.

7.1.7 Match Director (“MD”) – handles overall match administration including squadding, scheduling, range construction, the coordination of all

support staff and the provision of services. His authority and decisions

will prevail with regard to all matters
except in respect of matters in

these rules which are the domain of the Range Master.
The Match

Director is appointed by the host organization and works with the

Range Master.

An RO did state the RM said no Overlays. However as the CRO I not only used my overlay I used two of them to show that the call was correct. Not clear what the beef is about this.

Edited by Jammer1911

If this occured at the DoubleTap then you are remembering it wrong. An RO did state the RM said no Overlays. However as the CRO I not only used my overlay I used two of them to show that the call was correct. Not clear what the beef is about this.

Forget what match it was. No one is here to play the blame game.

However, with that said the topic of discussion is can the RM state no overlays? Is that legal?

I just wanted to clear the air since This is a recent incident and sounds strangely like what happened there. And as the CRO I know what we were told but I also know as a competitor I would have wan't the call verified as well.

I just wanted to clear the air since This is a recent incident and sounds strangely like what happened there. And as the CRO I know what we were told but I also know as a competitor I would have wan't the call verified as well.

That creates another interesting question.

If an RM can decide that overlays won't be used at all, does it give certain competitors an unfair advantage if the CRO goes ahead and overlays targets anyway? I think it probably does...

However, with that said the topic of discussion is can the RM state no overlays? Is that legal?

That is not the topic. RM and MD are different people/jobs.

That's not really the topic either. The MD clearly does not have that authority. The question is, does anyone? Ultimately if anyone does it would be the RM.

Why not pull out the overlay and make a call? Seems like a simple request that is a right of the shooter per the rulebook. I was at a match recently where a shooter also made the request and was refused. The Ro pulled the target but that slowed us down more than an overlay would have slowed us down. Why not overlay?

Why not pull out the overlay and make a call? Seems like a simple request that is a right of the shooter per the rulebook. I was at a match recently where a shooter also made the request and was refused. The Ro pulled the target but that slowed us down more than an overlay would have slowed us down. Why not overlay?

Right on. It is just good mojo to have your overlays at the ready and use them. I think it saves time.

Right on. It is just good mojo to have your overlays at the ready and use them. I think it saves time.

Exactly! Ask and you shall receive. :cheers:

the unfair advantage is only if the CRO only did for one but not the other competitors. I would have done this for any that made the request. Does not slow anything down that much.

The unfair advantage is when only the CRO on your stage (you, if I read correctly) decided to ignore this mandate (as you should have).

If the RO's and CRO's on the rest of the stages didn't similarly ignore it, a strong possibility of inequity exists.

Good on you, by the way...