Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

GM/M combined

shred

I know why they do it, but it still annoys me when they lump GM and M together for placement and trophies. At a recent sectional-sized match, there were 3 GM's in Open. They won HOA Open, 1st M/GM and 2nd M/GM. First Master was 3rd M/GM with 86%. The other nine Masters got nothing (lower classes with as few as 3 shooters got trophies). Realistically M's have about as much chance of winning a match with nationally-quality GM's in it as a B shooter does of winning a combined A&B class. Yeah, it may happen every so often, but that's by far the exception. Why not recognize everybody for where they are in the skill continuum?

I'm not hacking on this particular match. They announced this policy in their match booklet and stuck by it (even adding additional trophies for other classes that deserved them), but wanted to rant just so other MD's might take heed and think a little about what they're saying to some of the most committed shooters in their match.

your lucky, in the philippines, its free for all. Meaning all classes compete for the top prize. whatever your class is you will compete for the top 10 prizes against gms,ms etc. too bad that most wont win

I definately tend to agree with you. my only possible explination is that they ordered this stuff a little while ago. last year there were ZERO GM's there. This year there were five. I think it was more from an unexpected standpoint with the number of GM's. I agree that they should definately be seperate though.

I might be wrong about this but I think when the GM class was first proposed it was going to be for HOA ONLY. I think the intention was not to create another class but to say, " If you're this good, your goal ought to be HOA." Period.

Of course I don't think anyone envisioned there being as many GM level shooters as there are today either.

Al

I remember one MD (at a far-off match) saying "We figure you M's & GM's are here to win the match, so we don't have trophies for you except HOA". :huh:

I understand the hassle and cost of ordering plaques-- especially trying to guess who will show up a month or two in advance, but there are ways around that.

Al,

I'm pretty sure that you are right. GM's always shoot to win the match, period. Those who have been around for a while know that and it's accepted. Masters are recognized as a seperate class. Combining Master and Grand Master is not right; Shred, you have a completely valid point. I hope that the MD get's it right next time. Consistency and fairness are an important part of USPSA and that's one thing that helps promote the growth of the sport.

Regards,

Todd

I'm ok with heads-up, but then again, I'm up there in the 'heads'. My SO is trying to get a C-card and really likes seeing how she does compared to the other shooters in D-class. Not knowing all the D-shooters by reputation and name, it's nice to have that letter on the results sheet to look for.

I like heads up but it would discourage a lot of people. I think that the way people are classified needs to change. Any big match over a certain number of M/GM's needs to be an instant classification for a percentage shot above class. If you are a C and shoot 80% then you are automatically an A. Instead of the score just being another classifier like now. That or like IDPA if you beat so many people in the next class up you get moved instantly. There are WAY too many sandbagers out there.

• 4 years later...

BTT. A friend ended up with a 3rd GM/M trophy when he really deserved a 1st M... 'specially as there were 7 M's and 6 GMs in the division... more than either D or U, both of which got 1-2-3's.. (interestingly enough, in conflict with the latest USPSA rulebook Appendix A1 which says Level III matches can't recognize classes without at least 10 entries.. I don't like that rule much either)

BTT. A friend ended up with a 3rd GM/M trophy when he really deserved a 1st M... 'specially as there were 7 M's and 6 GMs in the division... more than either D or U, both of which got 1-2-3's.. (interestingly enough, in conflict with the latest USPSA rulebook Appendix A1 which says Level III matches can't recognize classes without at least 10 entries.. I don't like that rule much either)

:wub: You called me a Friend :wub: .....Thats the best reward I could hope for. ;)

It was a hot! match :wacko:

Alamo

In NRA A/P we have High Master, Master, Expert, Sharpshooter and Marksman. The rulebook states that when combining classes no class will be combined with the High Master class. High Master shooters compete for high overall awards only if there are not enough entries to give a class award. In A/P, a class must have 3 shooters to qualify for one award.

Way to resurrect a four year old thread there Shred!

It's like a fine wine, this rant ;)

I moved it to the Match Ops area so people can rebut if they want. FWIW I have a question in to Amidon about the legality of combining divisions under the 2008 rulebook.

Way to resurrect a four year old thread there Shred!

It's a good rant ;)

I moved it to the Match Ops area so people can rebut if they want. FWIW I have a question in to Amidon about the legality of combining divisions under the 2008 rulebook.

Hey! ...Hey!, leave it alone! :popcorn1: I have a trophy with GM on it :rolleyes: ...I don't want to have to give it back

Why not recognize everybody for where they are in the skill continuum?

I'm not hacking on this particular match. They announced this policy in their match booklet and stuck by it (even adding additional trophies for other classes that deserved them), but wanted to rant just so other MD's might take heed and think a little about what they're saying to some of the most committed shooters in their match.

How do you actually know where someone is? I understand the classification system is set up to be a system of measure, but it is flawed at best. I've seen results where A, B, and C, class shooters smoked the M and GM. Did they have a good day? Was it a match set up to their strong points? Do they sandbag the classifiers? Are they in another class at a higher level and take the default "one class lower" and shoot a match with say Lim10 instead of Limited? I mean, if a GM Limited shooter only loads 10 rounds in his Limited gun then he can compete in Limited 10 as a Master by default. What really makes me giggle is when the C or D class guys really show out at a major match and smoke 90% of the group.

And can you really measure commitment by someone's skill level? I know people that have been B class shooters for 5+ years. They do their dry fire drills and never miss a local club match. They practice live fire at least twice a week, but due to old eyes, physical handicaps, or whatever the reason, does it mean they are less committed than a Master class shooter?

:cheers:

And can you really measure commitment by someone's skill level? I know people that have been B class shooters for 5+ years. They do their dry fire drills and never miss a local club match. They practice live fire at least twice a week, but due to old eyes, physical handicaps, or whatever the reason, does it mean they are less committed than a Master class shooter?

:cheers:

Well, I know extremely few Master and GM-class shooters that aren't committed to the sport. I can't say the same about other classes, although I know many committed participants in those classes as well.

Anyway, the word from Amidon, as of five minutes ago is:

Level III and Nationals is a minimum of 10 competitors per class

(mandatory), plus the requirements of the divisions to be recognized must be

met first, and in a level III, that is a minimum of 10 competitors per

division, again mandatory.

You cannot group C and D to recognize a class, as it defeats the

classification process.

Regards,

John Amidon

(I asked about C and D as well as M / GM to provide a little perspective..)

Hey! ...Hey!, leave it alone! :popcorn1: I have a trophy with GM on it :rolleyes: ...I don't want to have to give it back

You should have had a USPSA President's Medal to go along with it..

I've got a 3rd GM/M trophy or two around and I know what they mean, but nobody ever merges the other classes together.

:o A President's Medal would be very nice to have. I would be glad to send the trophy back to get one. B)

But I also know that the only reason I finished that well was that others had problems.

Edited by AlamoShooter

But I also know that the only reason I finished that well was that others had problems.

Don't degrade your performance, Jamie ;) You shot a clean match with just a few Ds. You got the results your performance deserved ;)

The only thing I really have to add to this is that I don't think anyone holding a GM card really expects any sort of GM class trophies or prizes, or whatever. Most of us expect to be shooting heads-up. If an MD decides to do something different, that's his choice, really, but... I thought it was rather odd that GM and M were lumped together in a class, and I don't really feel that's fair to the M guys. I don't see anything in the rules that state that a GM must only shoot for overall placement - I think that's just a generally understood concept.

With that said, though... I never figured that A2 would be used to suggest that a match gave out too many prizes... I always figured it was there to insure that a match gave out recognition, not to prevent it from doing so (ie, setting a minimum standard for a match to meet, not setting a cap on what they can choose to deliver, as well).