Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

3rd IDPA match, 1st overall

EurAzn12

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Now, Joe, everybody knows that the Classifier doesn't really mean anything; you can and maybe even should move up solely by match bumps.

Kind of like the hunter who can't hit paper but can kill anything with hair on it.

Good luck and let us know how it goes!

As far as I'm concerned if you've only shoot a few matches if you get SS is good and EX would be great and M would be fantastic!!!

I appreciate your enthusiasm and if you keep having fun every match and keep the positive attitude your a winner regardless of where you classify.

Greg

Jim, I agree the Classifier is some what meaningless, but at least it is a measurable standard. On another subject - I wonder why IDPA did not use the original intent of scoring targets the way they are marked. That would make things interesting. Zero down, one second or three second penalty. The "you can't miss fast enough to win" would really come into play.

I was kidding about the Classifier, just didn't think it necessary to put in a smiley face.

I will refrain from humor in the future.

As to scoring, I disagree. I strongly remember reading that the original plan was .3 second per point down, increased to .5 to reward accuracy.

How could you have a call to score the targets "as marked" when they marked MINUS 1 and MINUS 3. If the scoring formula were to be printed on the target it would be PLUS 1 and PLUS 3, wouldn't it?

Too bad my computer with traffic on the old IDPA e-mail list and back numbers of Tactical Journal were burnt up and I can't be absolutely sure I am not making stuff up.

I strongly remember reading that the original plan was .3 second per point down, increased to .5 to reward accuracy.

I initially joined IDPA in 1997. You are in fact correct Jim about the original scoring of .3 sec per points down.

Yes, they raised the Zero about two inches in the second run of targets.

We are not trying to be anatomically correct, you understand, we just wanted to raise the bullseye. Because.

Thanks, Dragoon. I also joined in 1997, #00177.

There was an e-mail list that was the center of discussion in the early days before the standardized gunboards were as common, and stuff like that was posted there.

Edited by Jim Watson

If you do shoot master, you can brag a lot.

You can be a 5 gun master and still lose.

Tell me about it! My first two major matches after making 5-Gun Master didn't exactly cover myself in glory. 10th place at the Carolina Cup, 3rd Place at the VA State match...I'm not going to lie that I was disappointed with my shooting at both those matches.

Edited by Ahab

I shoot master CDP but I am not really a master.I classifed LOW expert and got bumped. I never shot a classafier umder 120. So not to many masters need to worry about me beating them out at a big match.

:D So I felt pretty good shooting today, turns out I shot pretty good too in CDP. Beat a master by 40 seconds... :blink:

I shoot my classifier next month, still UN right now. I think I have a fairly good shot at MA right off the bat, that'd be pretty awesome *knock on wood*

A lesson I learned today:

-When "point shooting" at close range it's still imperative to bring that front sight up and focus on it cause I threw a couple low that should have been easy -0s but were -1s instead.

If you shoot all zero's down you are shooting to slow. so, :cheers: you are gaming it. :sight:

:D So I felt pretty good shooting today, turns out I shot pretty good too in CDP. Beat a master by 40 seconds... :blink:

I shoot my classifier next month, still UN right now. I think I have a fairly good shot at MA right off the bat, that'd be pretty awesome *knock on wood*

A lesson I learned today:

-When "point shooting" at close range it's still imperative to bring that front sight up and focus on it cause I threw a couple low that should have been easy -0s but were -1s instead.

If you shoot all zero's down you are shooting to slow. so, :cheers: you are gaming it. :sight:

I don't get it, if you have good times and shooting all or mostly -0s, doesn't that just make you a good shot? I know it's impossible to always shoot -0s but ya see what I mean?

And I know this is a can of worms, but aren't IDPA matches a competition? Therefore shooting to win, and "gaming" it, just a natural part of the competition. In a real life self-defense scenario, you can be damn sure I'm going to game the hell out of it and make sure I have the same number of holes I was born with when I walk away, and the BG has several more, preferably all in the -0 area :blink:

Fast times, down zero - sounds like the perfect combination to me.

Yeah - in theory, but no matter the speed, if you shot an entire match clean, how would you know if you couldn't have gone even faster? A few points down shows you weren't going too slowly, while still keeping you very close to where you should've been. I feel I'm there when I add 5 - 7% to my raw time. Over 10% is too many, and you're shooting beyond your control, IMO.

Tom

And I know this is a can of worms, but aren't IDPA matches a competition? Therefore shooting to win, and "gaming" it, just a natural part of the competition. In a real life self-defense scenario, you can be damn sure I'm going to game the hell out of it and make sure I have the same number of holes I was born with when I walk away, and the BG has several more, preferably all in the -0 area :blink:

You're right. That's a can of worms, which is why, here on BrianEnos.com, we don't discuss "real world versus match shooting". Please re-read the guidelines for posting on these forums. Thanks. :)