Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

3rd IDPA match, 1st overall

EurAzn12

:D So I felt pretty good shooting today, turns out I shot pretty good too in CDP. Beat a master by 40 seconds... :blink:

I shoot my classifier next month, still UN right now. I think I have a fairly good shot at MA right off the bat, that'd be pretty awesome *knock on wood*

A lesson I learned today:

-When "point shooting" at close range it's still imperative to bring that front sight up and focus on it cause I threw a couple low that should have been easy -0s but were -1s instead.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've shot a BUG match and IDPA match prior to this one. I'm no noob to competition though, been shooting long range, palma, and high power since about 8 (I'm 21 now). And the master was shooting well, I watched him very carefully shoot the stage before me (I was right after him), caught his mistakes and maximized on that :)

Congrats, but I'm with Hankfan on this one... if you beat a MA class shooter at a local match by 40 seconds, then... well... he sucks had an off day! I'm shooting SS class and stay within about 20 seconds of the MA class shooters at my club. You would have beat me by a whole minute!

Good luck on the classifier!

Thanks,

-Randy

Edited by double_r76

Congrats!

What was the match round count? And what was your score? If you don't mind me asking?

Where do you shoot? Maybe some other Benos shooters are in your area.

David E.

Round count was 100 and I shot a 208.71 w/ 26 total points down, there was a lot of movement on the stages and some far shots. Yaaaa with the MA one stage he had like four light strikes which put him way behind. Some of the other scores from EX's were: 222.03, 238.07 or somewhere around these times.

I shot at AAFG in MD

Again congrats,

The classifier should give you a good idea of how you compare with others outside this group. Just to give you an idea, on a garden variety IDPA match 1 second per shot final score is a good goal for a non-pro master. This is of course just my opinion, others goals/opinions will vary.

David E.

Edited by Nuke8401

The 1 second per shot depends a lot on the stages but is a pretty good rule.

Both, congratulations and I'm sorry. Maybe you can find another club in the area with members that can push you to higher levels and keep your interest.

There are a few more places in the area that have some high profile shooters attend regularly that I'm going to try and make it to soon. It's hard to find the time with military obligations though. This place is just 3 miles from me so it's easy to get to.

My stage breakdown:

1- 12 shots, 21.98 (moving around a grid of four barrels in a x pattern, only allowed to shoot when moving in the diagonal direction)

2- 12 shots, 13.03 (head shots only)

3- 6 shots, 8.00 (3/4 were hit steel off to the side, 4 into a down zero only steel cutout, hit steel again, moving forward and back for 4)

4- 6 shots, 12.13

5- 17 shots, 23.73(5/6 were 6 paper in a pyramid, tactical sequence with 5 knockdown steel in the middle of em, 6 was any order double taps)

6- 17 shots, 19.67

7- 6 shots, 33.13 (ouch, pencil poppers through/ around or on top a barrel at a pretty far distance, the last four stages were "bullseye" stages disguised haha)

8- 6 shots, 27.47

9- 6 shots, 31.15

10- 6 shots, 18.42

Hmmm round count is 94 here... I thought there was a few more. The last four stages obviously killed my times, I think target distance was 50' for those little poppers, three of em spaced about 10 feet apart, kinda a pain

As long as the classifier doesn't have two inch wide poppers around 50' I should be good to go (I know it doesn't) Thanks for the good wishes :cheers:

You'll do fine bro...keep up the good work.

On top of that, you beat a SS by only 1.56 secs. I looked at your points down...you had alot. 20 points on 1 stage. Most of the time, you don't find too many MA's that will do that. Your 7 second raw time turned into a 17 second stage. Not good. Keep trying and you will get there. This is not something you can master in just a few matches. I have seen some people with natural shooting ability but those are few and far between.

On top of that, you beat a SS by only 1.56 secs. I looked at your points down...you had alot. 20 points on 1 stage. Most of the time, you don't find too many MA's that will do that. Your 7 second raw time turned into a 17 second stage. Not good. Keep trying and you will get there. This is not something you can master in just a few matches. I have seen some people with natural shooting ability but those are few and far between.

Where are you getting the SS by 1.56 seconds? I had 26 total PD over 10 stages... the most PD I had on any 1 stage was stage 2 which turned an 8.03 to a 13.03. Look at the CDP UN shooter...

I never try to brag or boast, this post was just to report my progress and what I'm doing. I've been shooting since before I could walk (literally), it was my favorite thing to do as a baby. On any weekend I log at least 300 rounds with my 1911 or rifle either in competition or at a range practicing not to mention the hours of dry fire practice I do and weekly practice... I work hard and I'm always trying to make it to the next level.

The IDPA Classifier is a funny thing. Some shooters just don't shoot them well. I am MA in SSP and ESP, but have never shot a classifier under 110, giving it my all. Last 2 matches I shot with over 100 shooters, I finished in the top 4.

Congratulations on your finish. I still remember the first match I finished high overall. I'd suggest shooting the classifier and finding some bigger local matches to truly gauge what you need to work on. Much can be learned from shooting with better shooters.

Eighteen shooters is a fairly small data set to compare yourself to, but a win is a win. Nice job! Stick with it and keep practicing. You'll do great. Please keep us posted on your classfier. Have you ever thought of starting a Range Diary on this forum? You could also try Range Log. Best of luck! :cheers:

Where are you getting the SS by 1.56 seconds?

Look at the wrong score. My bad.

The IDPA Classifier is a funny thing. Some shooters just don't shoot them well. I am MA in SSP and ESP, but have never shot a classifier under 110, giving it my all. Last 2 matches I shot with over 100 shooters, I finished in the top 4.

Isn't it like how good USPSA classifiers don't always equal good field stage scores?

Edited by PistoleroJesse

Congratulations on your first high overall. It is important to remember the circumstances under which your victory was acheived and concentrate on self improvement as well getting those conditions as close to pure as possible. I never like to win based on another's equipment issues as it is not a true measure of their skill against mine. It is also good to remember the size of the pond you are swimming in and to find bigger ones when the smaller ones have been mastered. In the end it comes down to how far your skill is advanced.