Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

How much life on your trigger spring?

enutees

I just broke my second trigger return spring on my Shadow. This one lasted three months. I shoot once a week about 150 rounds but I dry fire 5 times a week for 20-30 minutes. I had scheduled it to be replaced this month but I guess I have to move it up to every two months.

Anyone else going through springs quickly?

dang..you must be pulling my side of the average...

never have broken a trigger return spring ever.. **knock on wood**

I dryfire 4 or 5 nights a week, maybe 20 minutes all double action pulls. livefire is maybe twice a week 100 rounds or so

I must be another one of the lucky guys, I put over 6k and about a million and a half dry-fires on an SP-01 I used to have without an issue and I know the guy who owns it now and he's probably put a couple k on it by now too...

My 75 Shadow has near 4k on it now and probably 12 million dry-fires on it, dry-fire almost every day, no issues so far...

Just a guess, but I think the springs can get brittle if they get dry, my routine is that I always put a drop of grease/oil on top of the TRS whenever I field strip it.

For the guys breaking them a lot, again, just a guess, but it could mean you may have a minuscule burr somewhere on the top of the trigger or frame someplace where the TRS is contacting them, making friction... I'm a long-time guitar player, and when I start breaking a lot of strings at the bridge it usually means there's a tiny burr I can't see with the naked eye on the metal saddles the strings lay over, a little extra-fine steel wool usually cures it.

I've only broken one. Used gun, probably the 2nd month I had it. Replaced it with a Tanfo version from Henning (which are cheap).

You guys oil/grease yours? I think it might have been Stuart (or maybe Henning) who I heard say something about keeping oil/grease on the spring to improve it's lifespan.

i don't really clean my gun but i do lube it before every major or about once a month. i use an aerosol lube that i hose the action down with, a spritz on the trigger bar and trigger pin/spring and hammer spring and fpb, and spritz the barrel, and then grease on the rails.

I've never broken one either (10k?), however when recently getting my Shadow Ion Bonded I threw in a new one, just in case. It was from CZ custom which claims are better than typical CZ quality. Dunno...

I've never broken one either (10k?), however when recently getting my Shadow Ion Bonded I threw in a new one, just in case. It was from CZ custom which claims are better than typical CZ quality. Dunno...

The last one I broke was from CZ custom. I ordered some from CZ usa as well and I think they are identical unless there is some non visible difference. It actually lasted less than the factory spring.

Any pics of your Ion Bonded shadow? My duo tone finish is worn to bare metal in quite a few places. Doesn't bother me but I guess I'll have to take care of it eventually.

I broke one on my shadow. I had 6-7k rounds through it and a bunch of dryfire. The night before a match, I was practicing my trigger pull, and the TRS snapped. I had never detail stripped my shadow before. So a few youtube videos and 3+ hours later I had my TRS replaced and my gun functioning again :)

Wow. This is kind of surprising. I've never had a broken trigger spring in any gun I've owned. Never even heard of one. Is this a weak spot that CZ's have? I have maybe 5 to 6k through my Shadow and probably 40k dry fires. No sign of a problem yet, but these posts have me concerned.

Edit: After checking the CZ Custom web site, I see they have a new and improved trigger return spring available:

http://czcustom.com/cz75trsnew.aspx

Has anyone tried one of these yet? It says they are made from a better grade of spring steel.

Edited by Jeff Matzka

I usually check the track in the frame for and burrs, etc, then I rebend the spring to pull tension off of it. then a dab of grease on it.

I am running the factory spring, not the CZ Custom improved spring.

I have had 2 break in my SP-01. One around 1K rounds and the other at 5K rounds. They broke at the leg just before the wire enters the coil and not in contact with any other part of the gun! YMMV

Later,

Chuck

I think this thread is missing one very important issue. Tweaking :ph34r: this spring is the easiest way to improve trigger pull. When you do this you weaken the spring by putting abnormal tension on it. I think that's one big reason for i to brake.

I think this thread is missing one very important issue. Tweaking :ph34r: this spring is the easiest way to improve trigger pull. When you do this you weaken the spring by putting abnormal tension on it. I think that's one big reason for i to brake.

Not necessarily. My first was "tweaked" by Angus. The second was not tweaked. It lasted about 4K more than the first but it still broke.