Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Which handgun?

It's been a while since I made it out to any matches, but I'm hopefully going to get a chance to do some 3-gun in the next year. So far, I've only shot limited-10 with my single stack 1911 in USPSA. I would like to get into full Limited category as well as 3-gun. What would be my best bet for a multipurpose handgun without busting into Open competition? Will any 2011 Limited setup be allowed in 3-gun as well?

Ideally I'd love to get a custom 2011, but I'm tight on cash. I may save my pennies and hunt down some good used equipment. I'll need an auto shotgun as well, as all I've used thus far is a Mossberg 500 12ga pump.

Thanks!

If you are going to focus on 3 gun, then some version of the hicap 9 is the way to go. Glocks, CZ SP01, XDs, M&Ps 9s are all servicable Production pistols as well as 3 gun pistols. If you are planning on doing some 3 gun and shooting USPSA Limited, some version of the hicap .40 is the way to go.

If $$ is an issue, I would suggest shooting Production as opposed to Limited.

If you are going to focus on 3 gun, then some version of the hicap 9 is the way to go. Glocks, CZ SP01, XDs, M&Ps 9s are all servicable Production pistols as well as 3 gun pistols. If you are planning on doing some 3 gun and shooting USPSA Limited, some version of the hicap .40 is the way to go.

If $$ is an issue, I would suggest shooting Production as opposed to Limited.

This. I would suggest a Glock 34 or M&P9 Pro (my choice); the "safe action" triggers on these guns let you drop-and-go rather than having to worry about the safety of a 1911/2011/CZ platform pistol. You would probably be happier with the M&P as it will point much more like the 1911 you are already familiar with. Loading 9mm is significantly cheaper than .40, and if you also shoot USPSA Production (as I do) you can use the same pistol with no major/minor scoring disadvantage.

I agree with stealthy

M&P Pro's and L's seem to be popular. I personally shoot an XDm9 and would recommend that as well.

Most people would agree to "run what you brung." Basically, shoot what you have until you figure out what you want or save money for a custom gun.

Consider a Glock 35 (.40 cal). You can easily make major, or shoot light loads if there no major/minor distinction. 40 minor in a Glock 35 si very soft. you are good to go in USPSA Production and SSP in IDPA (I think). A magwell will be an issue outside 3 Gun.

I shoot a G35 in USPSA Limited, Lim 10 and 3 gun. I load to about 142 PF for 3 gun, which is a tad softer than 135 PF 9mm, and takes down poppers better. I went with 9mm for a few matches last year and went back to .40. I'm at 19/20 rounds instead of 22/23 rounds, but I've never found those 3 rounds made any difference at all. At matches with Spinners, I just shoot my major loads and take 4 or 5 rounds off the amount needed to spin those evil contraptions. 167 PF for Limited. So I'll agree, a G35 is a good deal for USPSA Limited and 3 gun. The M&P40s would be similar, if they happen to appeal more to you. If you just have to go 9mm, G34 or M&P9 would best end up in USPSA production.

I've been banging away with my Glock 17 but to be honest I shoot Glocks like crap. I do love that with the Arrendondo extension I can get 23 rounds in the mag which has saved me a reload on more than 1 stage so far. At Larue this year, I hit slide lock just as I knocked the last plate off the darn Texas star. I think a gun that I could actually shoot well would mean I wouldn't need 23 rounds on a stage that should take 19 rounds.

Get a Smith M&P Pro 40 or the pro 9. And look for a mossberg semi in 12g the price on that shotgun will be around $500.00.

Please keep in mind the guns is half of the cost in this game. You will need shell holders , ar mag holder, pistor mags holders and a belt.

I would say get with someone in your area that is shooting 3gun now and talk to them about using thier equipment frist before you buy.

Just my 2 cents.