Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Switching from Glock to 1911..

hankfan79

I am switching to a 1911 after years of primarily shooting a Glock. I want to become competitive in Single Stack along with CDP in IDPA. Having said that, anyone else out there done this?

Would it be better to use a regular mainspring housing or an arch one? Will some of you give me your opinions on it? I have heard that 1911's point different to some shooters when they use the standard mainspring housing and have to correct it by using an arched one. Thoughts?

I do the same. For me the arched MSH just makes the 1911 point more glock like than the flat one. It also has the hump in it more similar to a glock. I shot glocks for a while then had trouble switching back to the 1911s. Put the arched MSH in the gun and it just felt better for me at least. I say give it a try they are cheap. I personally like the Colt, polymer MSH to keep the weight down with the techwell magwell. Midway has them cheap so worth trying it out.

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/default.aspx?productNumber=280054

I use the sights obviously. It just points different front the draw than what I am used to (flat).

Most of the opinions I am getting vote for the arched. Haven't seen one for the flat.

try them both and see what you like! You can pick up an arched or a flat mainspring for under $20 on 1911forum.com. Then decide which fits you best and go for it. My game guns have flat, but I have a GI build with the arched and sometimes like that, too.

i went from a G34 to CZ and a 1911 soon after that. My kimber is ddefinitely more acurate that my Glock and was getting my shots w/o any difficulty. the 1911 just seem to point better. I put an arched S&A MSH on it but i just recently switched to a S&A flat MSH. Just seemed to get a more consistent grip with the flat but haven't shot any matches yet, just prctice and dry fire practice. It's something you are going to have to test for yourself and see have the gun acts in your hand with either of the MSH's. You should already have flat, buy an arched and give it a try. If it don't work, sell it.

+1 on the arched. There some very good ergonomic reasons for that grip angle. Just approach the whole situation as an adaptability exercise. Personally, I think it's worthwhile to be able to shoot anything you can get your hands on.

That is what I noticed on mine was it pointed different off the draw. It also didnt feel just quite right when I shot it either and I seemed to have to work at it more. It just feels more natural now with the arched

I'm new to competition shooting but I shot a G17 through my beginings, and have recently switched to a 1911. I personally think the 1911 feels a lot more natural in my hand than the glock does. I always had problems shooting my glock to the left no matter what I did. I have no such problems with my Kimber Gold Combat Custom.

I prefer the flat mainspring housing but suggest you feel the grip or shoot both on several guns before purchase. The thickness of the grip panels comes into play also. To me the thinner grip panels allow the grip safety to work a little easier. For IDPA you can polish a little but it has to work.

My 1911s with arched MSHs feel very similar to my glocks. I get thin grip panels because it makes the mag release a bit easier to get to. I don't seem to have much of an issue switching between the two. I have big hands which may be why the arched feels better; Glocks fit me well without reducing the backstap and the arched MSH feels much better than flat

Well, actually, I am looking for a mainspring/magwell so they are not cheap. Almost $80.

Thanks for the input. Keep em coming.

Not Cheap. That's the first lesson moving from the Glock to the 1911.

I actually went the other way. After cutting my teeth on Browning Hi-Powers and 1911s (+1 on arched mainspring), I switched to a Glock 19 and had a very tough time learning to shoot it properly. The trigger, the grip, the striker-induced sight wiggle during dryfire, the low-left shots, gave me fits.

However, now that I've gotten used to it, I find it just as accurate, if not more so, and dirt cheap to run (no need to run to the gunsmith for fitting).

You can adapt quickly to either the Glock or 1911. I shot SSP for 2 years with a Glock 17. This year I'm shooting a STI Trojan with a flat mainspring housing. It doesn't feel more natural or better pointing, just different. My opinion is not to jump back and forth on a daily basis. It's competition so you want to focus on 1 gun. Hell if Dave S. can do it so can you.

Edited by GForceLizard

I shoot an arched when I play 1911s

Can you explain your experiences a little? Why do you do so?

If you are used to the arched angle of the Glock, then an arched MSH will come closest to giving you a similar feel/grip angle.

With a Glock, I roll my shoulders forward and the gun points right on target, so with a 1911 try holding your shoulders square, and you might just find it points straight on target without changing any parts.

Bingo!

Shoulders are the key here.

The trigger control and grip are the 2 most questionable changes that Glock > 1911 users find are different....well those and the 1911/2011 are just 10X more accurate :sight:

It might be worth your time and money to buy a cheap arched MSH(no magwell) to try out. See how you like it. Then get a msh/magwell based on which one you like. If you don't like the arched MSH, I'll buy it from you, I have a parts hording problem. :D

It might be worth your time and money to buy a cheap arched MSH(no magwell) to try out. See how you like it...

That is the correct answer. It doesn't matter what works for me, him, or anyone else. You need to see what works best for you.

I think most, but not all of my 1911s have arched MSHs. I'd have to look.

I don't seem to have any issue switching from a Glock to a 1911. The only time I have an issue is switching back from a nice, crisp 1911 trigger to a squishy Glock trigger. Even the tuned ones are still a little squishy. :mellow: