Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Stacking batteries

Batteries...they suck. They are never bright enough always run low when you need them and are expensive as hell.

That said, I have been running a small experement with a Konus M30 Rifle Scope 1-4X 24mm Illuminated. It's a standard-ish 1-4 mildot reticle with a tiny blue illumination dot in the center. The problem is I think it's a hunting scope because on the highest setting the dot is ok indoors, but useless for anything outside until around dusk. This scope takes a standard 2032 3v lithium battery, so I decided to try the Stacker trick. I bought a sheet [under $1 each when you buy the whole sheet] of 2016 3v batteries, and have been doubling them up in the battery compartment.

The dot is now eating 6V instead of 3v, but so far it doesen't seem to care. At full intensity, the dot stays above the 2032 level for better than a week [subjective, not measured with anything besides my eyeballs.] The LED has lived through 4 sets of 2 batteries, all to 100% drained. If overall the LED life is shortened from 100000 hours to say 10000, who cares?

In a practical sense, I can now use the scope both eyes open outdoors on a sunny day, [like an acog] and it doesent wash out.

I have been told but havent tested the rumor that the same trick can be done with a stack of hearing aid batteries on an aimpoint. I have a couple of clones [a Burris speed-dot gets burn your eyes bright with 2 2016's] and a Vortex that takes CR-2's - I wonder how a stack of 675's would fit...

Interesting... I wonder if anyone has tried doubling batteries in the Burris TAC30 to increase the brightness of the reticle?

Side note, I've never felt my Aimpoints were lacking in illumination! If it got any brighter, I'd worry about damaging my retina! ;)

Probably like a lot of LED lighting these are regulated to operate within a certain voltage range. Before anyone else tries you might want to find that voltage range in the specs portion of the user's manual.

Years ago I bought one of the aftermarket battery caps for my Aimpoint. It was way to bright using two batteries.

I just tried this today in my Millett DMS-1. It was brighter with 2 2016 batteries, but not so bright as to be "daytime illuminated". A worthy experiment, though.

-Rob

OK, I just tried this with a Burris TAC30. Short answer - it doesn't work.

Ok, Please forgive me if my assumptions are wrong, I have been doing that alot lately [being wrong], But did you actually TRY this, or did you look at your battery compartment and decide it wouldn't work?

The beauty of this "hack" is that 2016 batteries are exactly half the thickness of a 2032 [both are 20mm diameter, 1.6mm thickness vs 3.2mm thickness]. The first battery makes contact in the normal way, the 2 batteries make contact + to -, then the second battery makes contact in the normal way, and Viola, double voltage. If the design of the battery compartment means the negative contact is full height, use a small dolop of nail polish to keep #1 from making contact on its edge.

If you send me a picture of your battery compartment, I will photoshop in where you put the nail polish id I wasn't clear enough. :sight:

Edited by barrysuperhawk

Ah, I had a brain fart about the half-sized 2016s! OK, scratch my earlier post!

I do suspect it might be necessary to put nail polish around the perimeter of battery #1 though, based on the battery compartment.

The other questions is what will this do to your scopes electronics? Like Barry said, it's effectlively doubling the voltage. An old 6v starter will turn real fast w/ a 12v battery, but it won't last very long...

The other questions is what will this do to your scopes electronics? Like Barry said, it's effectlively doubling the voltage. An old 6v starter will turn real fast w/ a 12v battery, but it won't last very long...

That's a valid point, and I agree there is no way to predict how much sooner failure will occur. I humbly submit that electronics fail all of the time even when the user does everything right. By doing this you are accepting that you are shortening the lifespan of the scope in question in return for a brighter dot. Kinda like the open 9mm and 38 super crowd firing what is peilously close to a proof load in order to make major and accepting that their gun will wear out faster.

In my case, the dot on the scope was useless in the daytime, even on the highest setting.stacking gives me a dot bright enough to use in the light of day....

• 4 months later...

Anyone tried this on a Leupold MR/T M2 ??? I've looked on the Leupy web site, but can't find the voltage range for the scope.

I suspect you won't, so the question would be if you are brave enough to try it and take a chance at having to send your scope back to leoupold and lie about how it got buggered.

As a secondary point, I tried this with a Cmore STS and the brightness was a bit more, but it appears the regulation on the Cmore is alot tighter [it's pretty bright already]

I wish I could find some 2011 batteries.... ;-)

I'd love to see someone try this on a Burris 1-4X XTR. :-)

Kevin,

It works... I have done it with my XTR. Good to see you this weekend.

Kyle

Another user just IM'd me and told me that on the Trijicon 4MOA MRD, stacking 2 2016 batteries is in the manual as an acceptable way to increase brightness... can someone confirm this?

Anyone found a "stack" to replace CR-2s? Have a Vortex Strikefire that is actually decent for the money. The dot is just not quite enough in bright light unless I have the doubler screwed into it. That makes close in a bit tough though.

Doubling the voltage while the impedance stays the same results in double the current through the scope's electronics. That's why the batteries die faster.

It is possible that sending twice as much current through the scope can damage it permanently, though at these low voltages and current levels, it is not likely.

BTW, I tried the stacking trick on my Vortex Viper PST 1-4X, and it only slightly improved the brightness. Most likely this is by design.

• 2 years later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...