Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

NEW SHOOTER - 9 USPSA SHOOTS

steel3924

OK! I have a problem. I have shot pistols for plinking only for the past 1-1/2 year. Buck Mark 22, was the gun I was using.

A friend talked my wife into buying me a Glock 34 for Christmas this year, and he took me to my first USPSA shoot in late January. I live in Florida so we do not have the cold problem. I shot the match, it had 2 classifiers, then I shot another match the following week it had 2 classifiers, and that has been the way it has gone for the past 3 months, 9 USPSA shoots all together.

I finally got my USPSA card and under Production it said Class A.

I do practice at the range 4 nights a week and dry fire 2 nights. I got me some really good training tapes and took a few lessons.

My question is when does the bubble burst? What would be the best way to handle it?

Confused and Waiting!!!!!

OK! I have a problem. I have shot pistols for plinking only for the past 1-1/2 year. Buck Mark 22, was the gun I was using.

A friend talked my wife into buying me a Glock 34 for Christmas this year, and he took me to my first USPSA shoot in late January. I live in Florida so we do not have the cold problem. I shot the match, it had 2 classifiers, then I shot another match the following week it had 2 classifiers, and that has been the way it has gone for the past 3 months, 9 USPSA shoots all together.

I finally got my USPSA card and under Production it said Class A.

I do practice at the range 4 nights a week and dry fire 2 nights. I got me some really good training tapes and took a few lessons.

My question is when does the bubble burst? What would be the best way to handle it?

Confused and Waiting!!!!!

You initally classified as A in production; soooo, what's the problem??!!??

For you it might not.

I think for many their bubble gets popped when they shoot the first match and get smoked. Or when they receive the classification card / run their scores in the Classifier Calculator and see a D or C when they believe themselves better.

You've just started, seem to be shooting well without false expectations. If you're bubble didn't burst with an A (and why should it- many shoot for years trying to make A), then you're prolly in good shape.

Edited by Steven Cline

If you shot classifer A's. then you are an A. Now translating that to match performance may be challenging as most matches comprise of stages that are more round count and movement intensive....

Don't "burst your bubble", just practice your stage breakdown and movement skills, you'll be fine.

I'm not sure what the question is . . but, congrats. It's very rare for someone who's only shooting experience is plinking with a .22 to jump into USPSA and make A class from the get-go. I joined USPSA in January of 2010 and am still busting my a#% trying to make A.

You're clearly shooting classifiers well. How are you doing on field courses?

I'm not sure if I understand either but oh well. An initial "A" classification is rare. Congratulations!

As far as bubble bursting? It "might" come after you compare your score at a Level 3 match with the winning GM's score in your division.

If it's 75% of his score or more you're a stud. Our major scores are an accurate barometer. Our classifying system is not perfect, but it's all we got.

Again, congrats!

Jim

Just out of curiosity, how are you finishing at these matches? I'm assuming that if there are 2 classifier stages, there might be 3,4,5 other stages? If you are finishing high up the list with other A guys in your division, well, I hate you! j/k! If you are, that's awesome and you must be a natural!

I'll echo the congratulations from above. :cheers:

You shouldn't be too surprised if you're practicing on the range 4x days a week and dry-firing a couple more days... in addition to watching videos and taking lessons. I guess the bubble might burst if you ever have to scale back the training and practice, but so far it looks like your performance is a reflection of your dedication.

Great job!

-Randy

PS - I work around 55-60/week, and dream about the days when I'll be able to practice even 1-2 days per week!

Let me clarify things, I have shot A classifiers and at the matches I am averaging 58%. They say I am Classified A. That's ok, I won't dispute them I"m to old to be real competition for the youngsters but I am have a real ball just shooting this game.

You guys should consider yourselves lucky that I wasn't 20 years younger. Just kidding. I love this forum.

Let me clarify things, I have shot A classifiers and at the matches I am averaging 58%. They say I am Classified A. That's ok, I won't dispute them I"m to old to be real competition for the youngsters but I am have a real ball just shooting this game.

You guys should consider yourselves lucky that I wasn't 20 years younger. Just kidding. I love this forum.

What's your USPSA member number?

+1???

well? :roflol:

• 4 weeks later...

well? :roflol:

Hmmmmm

My # shows I am a A class shooter. I have only about 7-8 matches and 1 classifier under my belt. Looking at the scores, I am a Solid C shooter. I have shot with masters and they would spank me with no problems.

I think the A they give to new shooters is just a fluke in the system.

My # shows I am a A class shooter. I have only about 7-8 matches and 1 classifier under my belt. Looking at the scores, I am a Solid C shooter. I have shot with masters and they would spank me with no problems.

Ok, what's your member number? I've never seen the system give anyone a classification after shooting one classifier.

Ok, what's your member number? I've never seen the system give anyone a classification after shooting one classifier.

That's because they don't.

That's because they don't.

Bingo. Just wanted to see what he's seeing to try and figure out what in the world he's talking about. :roflol:

You are correct. I just checked my # and it still shows unclasiffied. The one I did was last week so I don't think they have input it yet. I am shown as a A class shooter on the local results.

Sorry for any mis information.

You are correct. I just checked my # and it still shows unclasiffied. The one I did was last week so I don't think they have input it yet. I am shown as a A class shooter on the local results.

Sorry for any mis information.

Must me a mistake on the part of your club's scorekeeper. You are a U shooter until you shoot at least 4 classifiers.

Paul Bunyun...in WA ?

You must be Frank?

The A on your card is likely in your member number like A695xx. That is not your classification. That means you have an "Annual" membership. Some folks might have a TY instead of an A...that stands for Three Year...FY means Five Year, etc..

You should let your stats person know that they need to correct your classification at the next club match. They should be running the monthly update that auto-corrects that, but they don't always do so.