Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Bear Defense/Avoidance

The National Park Rangers are advising hikers in Glacier National Park and other Rocky Mountain parks to be alert for bears and take extra precautions to avoid an encounter.

They advise park visitors to wear little bells on their clothes so they make noise when hiking. The bell noise allows bears to hear them coming from a distance and not be startled by a hiker accidentally sneaking up on them. This might cause a bear to charge.

Visitors should also carry a pepper spray can just in case a bear is encountered. Spraying the pepper into the air will irritate the bear's sensitive nose and it will run away.

It is also a good idea to keep an eye out for fresh bear scat so you have an idea if bears are in the area. People should be able to recognize the difference between black bear and grizzly bear scat.

Black bear droppings are smaller and often contain berries, leaves, and possibly bits of fur. Grizzly bear droppings tend to contain small bells and smell of pepper.

-------

In all seriousness, I know they make high concentration pepper spray for use as a bear defense. However, I don't know how well that will work. I do know it falls short of a large bore firearm.

Edited by JFlowers

I'm going on a camping/flyfishing trip and cannot take a firearm. What are your suggestions on bear defense/avoidance?

Any input is appreciated!!

Avoid the smell of food or blood near your camp.

I'd go fishing somewhere where I could carry a large revolver:)

Good luck.

Jack

its an out dated law that kept concealed Carry out of the national parks , or did I miss a change to the change.

I did some back country camping in Glacier Nat & Yel before the law changed

several things READ!!! UP

pepper spray is a good Idea ( Counter Assault Bead Deturent 8oz min) it comes with a nice holster Do not Surprise the Bear.

Do not keep food in your tent

now the hard ones Do not Cook in the same clothes you will take into your tent = think about that one. its hard when you need a jacket in the morning and a jacket at night. Hat to keep your head warm at night may be the same watch cap you ware to cook in the morning

The Bear had the guys head in his mouth!

Wash the pans away from the camp DO Not put the grease in the fire pit = My dad watch a BIG Black bear scoop up red hot coals from the fire pit and eat them

Did I recommend reading up?

Alternat plan would be to take someone along that you do not like and wack them on the knee if the Bear gets to close = that way you can out run at least the guy you don't like

Edited by AlamoShooter

I'm going on a camping/flyfishing trip and cannot take a firearm. What are your suggestions on bear defense/avoidance?

Any input is appreciated!!

Avoid the smell of food or blood near your camp.

I'd go fishing somewhere where I could carry a large revolver:)

Good luck.

Jack

I'm going to the Black River in Arizona on the Indian reservation. Their laws regarding firearms leave "bending" room on the side of res police AT BEST! I am going with a guy who takes the trip every year and he's a gun nut. For him to request that I not take a firearm is suprising.

*edit* I do have my CCL here in New Mexico if that makes any difference. I have read entire documents on the res police website as well as some links from a friend who lives in AZ and has fished the black river. Please offer input if any of you know concrete rules for firearms and the res.

Edited by Erik S.

Rule # 1, better to be judged by 12 than carried by six,

One thing about bears, Black bears dont attack often but when they do it is usually for predation, hence the dragged out of the tent senarios. So playing dead is definitely not the way to go, Grizzlies tend to attack becasue you threatened them or their territory, so playing dead may help. Are there Grizzlies in AZ?

seriosly though I'd be more worried about Human predators than bears, bears tend to run away if you give em half a chance.

Are there Grizzlies in AZ?

seriosly though I'd be more worried about Human predators than bears, bears tend to run away if you give em half a chance.

Not any more that are known.

Where he's going there can be both, fairly remote on the rez, bears, lots of rattle snakes.

I like rule #1.

Edited by Powder Finger

I forgot how to fish

I wantaa gow tooo

If I remember correctly in Texas it's called Jug fish'n, don't need to be present to win.

haha, SHOOT! They even have a rule against that! It is illegal to leave your fishing rig unattended at any time when your lure/fly is in the water.

This came up in today's newspaper (weekly). I don't know if it will help though.

The Intermountain News

DFG offers tips on staying safe in bear country

The California Department of Fish and Game (DFG)reminds campers, anglers and hikers enjoying the outdoors

to take precautions to limit black bear encounters. A key element to safe camping and recreating in bear country is to limit food odors that attract bears. “Bears are constantly in search of easily obtainable

food sources,” said Marc Kenyon, DFG statewide bear program coordinator. “A bear’s fate is almost always sealed once it associates human activity with potential food. It’s always unfortunate when a bear has to be killed because people either haven’t learned how to appropriately store food and trash, or simply don’t care.” California’s growing black bear population is now estimated at more than 40,000. Black bears are located in most of the state where suitable habitat exists and bear/human encounters are not isolated to wilderness settings. For example, last year black bears stirred up trouble in one of California’s premier tourist destinations, as DFG staff logged more than 5,200 hours handling black bear nuisance issues in the Lake Tahoe region alone. DFG wardens and biologists also responded to numerous wildlife feeding issues across the state, and bears obtaining human food is cited in the majority of public safety incidents involving bears. Access to human food or garbage, whether it is overflowing from a campground or residential dumpster or in the form of snacks in a tent, is the primary culprit in attracting bears. When wild animals are allowed to feed on human food and garbage, they lose their natural ways - often resulting in death for the animal. Feeding wildlife or allowing wildlife access to human food provides false food sources, habituates animals to humans and can change animal behavior from foraging for food in the wild to relying on human food sources in or near urban areas, which can lead to bears breaking into cars or houses to seek out food. DFG’s Keep Me Wild campaign was developed in part to address the increasing number of conflicts between black bears and people. The campaign provides important tips for living and recreating safely in bear habitat, and advice on what to do if you encounter one of these wild animals.

Visit www.dfg.ca.gov/keepmewild/bear.html for more information.

BEAR COUNTRY PRECAUTIONS

• Keep a close watch on children and teach them what to do if they encounter a bear.

• While hiking, make noise to avoid a surprise encounter with a bear.

• Never keep food in your tent.

• Store food and toiletries in bear-proof containers or in an airtight container in the trunk of your vehicle.

• Keep a clean camp by cleaning up and storing food and garbage immediately after meals.

• Use bear-proof garbage cans whenever possible or store your garbage in a secure location with your food.

• Don't bury or burn excess food; bears will still be attracted to the residual smell.

• Garbage should be packed out of camp if no trash receptacles are available.

• Never approach a bear or pick up a bear cub.

• Do not attempt to attract a bear to your location; observe the animal and take pictures from afar.

• If you encounter a bear, do not run; instead, face the animal, make noise and try to appear as large as possible.

• If attacked, fight back.

• If a bear harms a person in any way, immediately call 911.

• 2 weeks later...

I would find a way to hide my 629 in my underwear if i had too.

how about a machete? At least you'd have a fighting chance.

Ohhh. and we do have bears here in NM...big black ones.

I would find a way to hide my 629 in my underwear if i had too.

how about a machete? At least you'd have a fighting chance.

Ohhh. and we do have bears here in NM...big black ones.

Yes sir, when I lived in Alb 88-90 it was dry and they lived in town.

Had a blast on the fishing trip! Didn't see any bears, but heard noises in the bushes while fishing that were loud enough to be one. Saw lots of fresh tracks and scat and caught TONS of fish. We had a blast! Thanks for all the feedback....luckily I didn't need it.

Eric s, I am enviuos. I grew up in Tucson and spent a lot of time fishing that area. Some of the best fishing memories of my youth. Saw a bear one time, he was across a canyon, running as fast as he could away from us. Glancing over his shoulder every few seconds. He was definately more scared of us than we were of him. I would bet the sound you heard in the bushes was sometthing else.

Edited by mpeltier