Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Springfield High-Cap .45?

One of my editors forward to me the following letter from a reader:

How about an article on high capacity 45 acp's e.g. Paras, Springfield Armory's, Wilson's KZ 45's etc.I am thinking about such a purchase and a corresponding article would be benefical.

I have to ask: does Springfield even make a high-cap .45?

please forgive my ignorance but could i throw a .40 top end on the .45 doublestack springfield frame? i like the weight and feel of a steel frame but i've had several gunsmiths tell me that they cant get a great trigger on the para because of the way para makes their frames. I was told that springfield frames do not have this problem. soooo, if i could use a .45 springfield frame i could get the trigger i want.

Guest Larry Cazes

Quite interesting.....My para P14 has a consistently crisp 2.5lb. trigger after dropping in a Nowlin Commander kit, an STI trigger, and adjusting slightly. Has been very consistent at this weight since last june, over 10K rounds no change.

please forgive my ignorance but could i throw a .40 top end on the .45 doublestack springfield frame?

Probably ... don't see why not.

i like the weight and feel of a steel frame but i've had several gunsmiths tell me that they cant get a great trigger on the para because of the way para makes their frames.

I think you might want to consult with some more gunsmiths. I think Dawson Precision and Hunter Custom might have a different opinion.

I've felt triggers on Paras that were as good as any other gun. I know one guy who has two of them done by Darrel Stonebraker and you won't find a better trigger pull.

I'm not sure what in the frame could make that much difference. Did they give you any specific reasons?

I'm not sure what in the frame could make that much difference. Did they give you any specific reasons?

In the old, old preban days, Para's sear-and-hammer hole placement QC was less than ideal, which caused a lot of smiths to get extremely frustrated with them. I've heard things are a lot better now, but reputation always lags reality.

The trigger on my para is fair, Dawson did it a couple years ago, but I've felt better. I can't remember all of the gunsmiths I spoke with but they were all recognized nationally. The last was Brazos last year at The Florida State match. I wanted him to put a trigger job on mine equal to his display s_i guns. He declined saying the QC wouldn't allow it.

I still prefer my para to the other high caps and to be fair my trigger isn't bad but sometimes I get a little trigger envy :P

Shred, perhaps you are right and reputation hasn't caught up.

In the old, old preban days, Para's sear-and-hammer hole placement QC was less than ideal, which caused a lot of smiths to get extremely frustrated with them. I've heard things are a lot better now, but reputation always lags reality.

That makes sense ...

My steel framed gun was way, WAY oversized "sideways" inside the frame. With all of the original parts intact, the sear could actually move far enough to the side to allow the spring to go past it and get stuck.

My friendly local gunsmith spotted the problem right away ("It's all in the tolerances ..."). His solution was rather interesting and effective. He took two of the shims you use for replacing the Series 80 parts and use a surface grinder on one of them until the combined thickness was "just right."

Since then (1997), the only malfunction I've had with that gun was when I was trying to get my 18-rd mag (Gramms basepad kit) to work. The trigger isn't bad, but I never really had him work on it much. We just dropped a S-V sear and Koenig hammer in it and it was "good enough" for me. ;)

I guess anyone, including a gunsmith can botch a trigger job - even on a Para, but it would take some doing. I have 5 Paras. 3 open guns all break at 1.75 lbs and 2 limited guns which break at a consistent 2 lbs. 2 of the open guns have over 100,000 rounds apiece with no change in the trigger pull (different uppers on both though). If you want a steel frame like I do, get a Para and a good drop in trigger kit or take it to a reputable gunsmith. It will be cheaper and easier than trying to find the Springfield.

Duane,

Just sold three SPringfield Hicaps in 45ACP.

They are pretty much the same as a std Para and as stated PAra mags fit fine. The SPringfield mags the three I sold only held 13each? But when you want to install an ambi safety the set up would be different, as the frame "kicks" out sideways sharply from high up by the top of the grips.

Build quality is much better than the first lots, and the loaded versions are similar in quality to the Ltd Series Para.

They all seem to shoot acceptably well with good quality loads, but that goes for most Springfields.

I have a "dual duty" 1911 in .40 and 9x23. You could get a Springfield .45 on sale, sell the barrel & slide, & you will need the following parts in .40:

.40 RAMPED barrel

new link

new link pin

bushing (though I suggest a bull barrel)

.40 slide

.40/9mm/38 firing pin

.40 extractor

.40/9mm/38 ejector

You will need to fit these parts to your frame. You may need to pay a gunsmith for this unless you have experience. If the frame is not cut for a ramp, I strongly suggest you have it cut & use a ramped barrel; I personally believe that unsupported/ non supported designs like the 1911 should NEVER be sold in .40 without a ramped/supported barrel. JMHO. Then you will need som Para pre-ban mags w/ basepads det up for 140mm (for Limited anyway).

You might also ask if Enterpres (Enterprise??) Arms still makes their "Boxer" model; I recal this was a Para clone that came in .40. i thought it was $1100 to $1300 though not sure if its still made. Regards, D.

The other day, before even seeing this topic, I went to the Springfield site to look at this. I had seen it there before. Now it's gone. Are they still in production?

I'd guess, at the least, that they're available as Custom Shop Guns. One would hope that in September they'd get them back into the general public's hands... with a squared trigger guard. ;)

How could it hurt to add another couple of guns? That way you get to shoot MORE GUNS.

Don't forget the Bul M5, the current Kimber polymer frame (different from the original using the Bul M5 frame), an Entreprise (if you can find one) ...