Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Changing grip pressure when shooting.

Loki999

Hi,

When i was dryfiring i noticed that my grippressure changes when i break the shot, it becomes more. And because of the change i have to keep the gun on target while pushing the trigger.

Now in live-fire drills on plates i feel the gun floating away from the target when pushing the trigger.

What dou you think, is it best to keep a constant grip or anticipate every shot?

Ok so no extra pressure per shot. Maybe it's flinsh. i will be aware while training

Back when I was experimenting with different grips, I would fill up a mag, and do rapid fire while making adjustments to my grip while at the same time watching the sights to see what worked and felt the best.

Be concious of the trigger press each shot. A flinch will show up with crappy hits, are you hitting your point of aim?

• 2 weeks later...

From the time your hand touches the gun your hand-grip shouldn't change, if you are changing your hand-grip thru the shoot then your accuracy will be affected, so for me from start to finish my grip stays the same, that's why I can shoot accurately thru the stage.:sight:

Edited by knuckles

I've always found that a quite firm grip works best, whether I'm shooting for accuracy or speed. In fact, there isn't really any difference between the two, when you get down to it.

So no, my grip pressure does not change, at least not that I am aware of. I would try to maintain a constant grip. In my experience, anything that changes right as you fire will tend to make you miss.

• 2 weeks later...

I have read that some pro shooters use greater grip pressure with their support hand rather than their strong. I tried this but it is weird feeling. I use the support hand for "support". I dunno.

Check out Matt burkett's Shooting Techniques video and it may help you get a better understanding of grip pressure on a pistol. As Mr. Enos said, firm but neutral. If you squeeze too hard with the draw hand, it will affect your trigger pull and possibly your shot placement.

• 2 weeks later...

By 'neutral' does that mean 50/50?

Some trainers have told me a 40 weak hand/60 trigger hand

is optimum.

Others have said push with trigger hand, pull with support

hand.

Please explain what is meant by neutral grip I'm new to handgun shooting sports and have become addicted but seems when I shoot with a little more pressure on weak hand I shoot better, some days mostly when shooting by myself I can shoot very accurate and fairly fast for me....when I shoot in match many times I just forget grip pressure, sight alignment etc. If I were to understand neutral grip maybe I could get it down before developing more bad habits.

I have read that some pro shooters use greater grip pressure with their support hand rather than their strong. I tried this but it is weird feeling. I use the support hand for "support". I dunno.

It's a pretty critical technique, particularly as you get up to Major ammo and heavier triggers. The harder you grip with your trigger hand, the more sympathetic movement you get during the pull, and the slower you can move your finger. The main reason I build my revolver grips up so much is in order to get the palm of my weak hand on the backstrap somewhat. If I can get it on there perfectly it's taking most of the recoil impulse while my strong finger is loose and working the trigger smoothly and quickly. I'd say I grip the gun with my strong hand just enough to keep it from shifting in recoil, plus 10% safety margin.

H.

I "thought" I knew what a neutral grip was until last weekend when I was chatting with friend in Navy Special Forces who had just returned from deployment. He said what they were taught in special forces is "Master Grip." When he showed and described it, it looked and sounded like neutral grip to me. Any of you guys have military experience and is there a difference between "Master Grip" and "Neutral Grip" or is it just a term of art difference?

I "thought" I knew what a neutral grip was until last weekend when I was chatting with friend in Navy Special Forces who had just returned from deployment. He said what they were taught in special forces is "Master Grip." When he showed and described it, it looked and sounded like neutral grip to me. Any of you guys have military experience and is there a difference between "Master Grip" and "Neutral Grip" or is it just a term of art difference?

Can you tell us what he described as "master grip"?

probably a different name.

If you read Brian Enos' book, you will realize one of the best grips to have is the neutral grip, where you do not apply more pressure than is necessary to hold the gun in place. You do not want to influence it in either direction with over-pressure.

probably a different name.

If you read Brian Enos' book, you will realize one of the best grips to have is the neutral grip, where you do not apply more pressure than is necessary to hold the gun in place. You do not want to influence it in either direction with over-pressure.

So I guess Brian Enos's book has the answer this question and probably the answer to many more questions I have about this handgun shooting addiction I have aquired....I will order the book I need all the help I can get.