Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

How can I deaden a live primer

redwoods

I am making cuff links out of case heads. I want to use a 45acp case head with a primer installed.

How do I get rid of the primer compound and maybe anvil without making it go bang?

Thanks,

Randy

I am making cuff links out of case heads. I want to use a 45acp case head with a primer installed.

How do I get rid of the primer compound and maybe anvil without making it go bang?

Thanks,

Randy

I *think* a drop of oil on the primer compound will do it.

YMMV,

A.T.

WD40, oil, will do the trick....

What I did last time I wanted to kill some primers was put a drop of oil in each one, then put them in a bucket of water for several days...

Why would I want to kill them you ask? Crappy brass that I found after they were primed... :angry2:

I remember reading somewhere, I think it was on this board, that the oil will make it harder for the primer to ignite but will not totally deactivate it. Personally, if I were going to be wearing something that could potentially go "pop" I would make sure by igniting or somehow *safely* removing the compound inside the cup.

As a better suggestion, is there anything that you can use that would look like a primer, that would fit, and would wear better than a primer would?

Edit to add:

Do a quick Google for: "deactivating primers" and you will find all sorts of information that states it makes it harder to ignite them but does not "totally deactivate" them

Edited by Classic_jon

You aren't going to find a good way to deactivate them for certain.

For jewelry, I'd highly suggest getting some brass rod of an appropriate diameter, cutting it down to a nubbin, and a little abrasive and polishing action to make it loo right, then epoxy it in. No lead bearing chemicals, no boom.

ETA, or you could even do aluminum rod and make it look like it has federal primers.

Edited by raz-0

There was an article in Front Sight a while back that oil doesn't kill them, it just raises the ignition temperature. A gentleman on another forum posted that he very carefully removed the anvil and then used a small torch to burn the compound out while holding the primer with pliers. He then loaded the primers normally. He also was making cuff links.

I searched and found a Firearm Examiner Training Module on NIJ.gov stating that the solvent used in manufacturing primers is water . Per the description, the water makes the compound safe to handle but the compound is still active when dried out. I wonder if you could soak the primers in water to safely remove the anvil and compound, then deactivate the compound with oil? Or find some other inventive way of disposing of it. :rolleyes:

Edited by JAFO

I have seen a jeweler locally who did it..... I asked him about the primers and he said that he soaked them in water and then pulled the anvil and compound manually with some jewelers tools while still under water. Im not sure that his experience validates it, but it was interesting.