Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Once fired brass?

I just got 500 once fired brass off a web site (brassman). Is it safe to reload these? I try to collect my own brass on the range but it is very hard since the other guys are behind me also picking up brass. I end up after a match with someone elses brass instead of the store purchased ammo I got from walmart. Your 2 cents would be great.

Edited by JayJayJay

The biggest savings in reloading are from buying once fired brass or even better picking up everything at the range. Just make sure to inspect it before use and you will be fine.

I only got 500 for only 38 bucks from them. I just took a carefull look at them and I would say 97% are in real good shape. I wonder were this guy geets his brass from? I guess from now on I will just get my brass from The Brass Man! Thanks guys for your help. I just got 1,000 rounds of 40 from Montata Gold today. Looking foward to loading these and going to the range with the new CRONO and learn how this all works. Sure wish I had a friend localy that could watch over me but oh well.

I wonder were this guy geets his brass from? I guess from now on I will just get my brass from The Brass Man!

I suspect he is getting it from Law Enforcement agencies. A lot of agencies only use factory ammo for carry AND qualification. My son is a Border Patrol Agent and said he has never seen a reloaded round on their range! When I was the firearms instructor at my agency we found out that it wasn't much more expensive to buy loaded ammo than it was to ship our brass back and have it reloaded.

I have buckets and buckets of LEO used brass.

I use a EGW undersize die to get rid of any bulges.

I reload it until it splits-well almost. I get a lot of reloads out of each piece of brass.

I'm a hoover for pistol brass. Anything in my caliber I pick up and add to the pile. I've loaded 10's of thousands of it and never really had any issues. My sizing die seems to fix it all.

That being said, once fired brass from a reputable retailer should present no issues for you.

/2 cents

I wonder were this guy geets his brass from? I guess from now on I will just get my brass from The Brass Man!

I suspect he is getting it from Law Enforcement agencies. A lot of agencies only use factory ammo for carry AND qualification. My son is a Border Patrol Agent and said he has never seen a reloaded round on their range! When I was the firearms instructor at my agency we found out that it wasn't much more expensive to buy loaded ammo than it was to ship our brass back and have it reloaded.

I work for an LE agency (non-LE position) and we pay about WWB prices for self-defense hollowpoints (used for carry, quals and practice), so the savings to reload aren't worth the hassle, risk, liability, etc.... I can usually get the guys to scrounge me up a bunch of empties when they shoot if I keep their computers running. Better yet, they use SIGS.

Some security firms also do this. My brother in law works security for Boeing in Newark and they carry. When he took the job they issued him a brand new glock and 4 cases of fed .40. I think he was a little suprised when I wasn't sypathetic about when he had to work a long weekend where they trained and shot all the ammo in three days. I asked what they did with the brass and he said they just left at the end of the day and when they came back in the morning it was gone. A couple of months ago something changed and they either quit carrying or changed guns (I can't remember what he said) but they offered to let him buy the glock for $200. He told me he thought is sounded like a good deal and he was probably going to do it. :rolleyes:

I have also bought brass from a guy that offered concealed carry courses where he supplied the guns and ammo. He would sweep up the brass and sell it.