Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Need advice on running/workout shoes

Corey

I would recommend going to a local running store. There are so many different type of shoes as there are feet. In my 20s and 30s, I ran 10K, 15K, and half marathons every chance I got. I spent a lot of time with runners. It seemed like everyone had their favorite brand and model. My feet are pretty normal so fitting was easy. A friend had a narrow heel, she finally got fitted by someone who knew what they were doing and running was so much easier for her.

Recently, another friend wanted to start training for a half marathon, she went out and just purchase a pair of shoes--from a big box store. She ended up with hip problems from having ill-fitting shoes.

I found Nike shoes were best for me. My dad preferred Brooks. The key is have a shoe model tailored for your foot and style of running (the way your foot strikes the ground).

Running shoes do not last years. High mileage runners change their shoes every few months.

I use SuperFeet insoles which help me greatly rather than spending hundreds of dollars on orthotics.

I typically spend around $100 for a pair of good running shoes.

On sales they run around $75. I have never had a problem with running in last year's model. I look for quality before prices and the latest model.

Edited by pjb45

• 2 months later...

+1 for going to a running store.

They'll look at your gait, your arch shape, and your running goals and have you test out a few different shoes that fit your body's needs. Once you've found a pair or two that work perfectly for you, write down the info so you can keep ordering them wherever they're on sale.

• 4 weeks later...

Get some Vibrams Five Fingers, take your time getting used to them, never look back. I have never felt so good running as I have since I started using these. I have done my fair share of running too.

The five fingers are a good choice for running and general fitness. I like the added proprioception the thin soles offer.

+1&2 on Vibrams

Vibrams or great for fitness and everyday use. You will bring out your full potental in agility and speed with vibrams. If you dont like vibrams i would recommend any quality running shoe with a minimulist sole. Merrell make some really good running shoesmerrell running shoes

When all else fails there nothing better than running barefoot :cheers:

If you like the minimalist style, take a look at Innov8. I bought a pair, and LOVE them. Very light, durable and agile. I got the Roclite 400 gortex "boots". Perfect for trail running and USPA matches!

If you like the minimalist style, take a look at Innov8. I bought a pair, and LOVE them. Very light, durable and agile. I got the Roclite 400 gortex "boots". Perfect for trail running and USPA matches!

+1 on INOV8 shoes i have the bare-XF 210, they are extremely flexable and light, they weigh 5oz each. The next pair of cleats i will get are the baregrip by INOV8.

I went through a bunch of different shoes until I found these

http://www.merrell.com/US/en-US/Product.mvc.aspx/22876M/0/Mens/Barefoot-Train-True-Glove?dimensions=0

hands down the best shoes I have ever owned. I used to get shin spints like mad until I switched to these. I run about 4 miles every other day in them.

I have three pair of inov8s and I love them.

The baregrips ill have to look at.

I was on the fence on the BareGrips. I tried a pair on and they felt pretty good. But like many people I felt they were a bit pointy in toe box for a minimalist shoe. So I'm waiting until a version 2 comes out that has a more natural toe box and a better color. I'm just guessing on the color, but I'm pretty sure Inov8 is going to come out with a better toe box because everyone is raving about that shoe.

As for running shoes, I'm on my last pair of 2160's before I switch to something with less differential. My short list in order:

Edited by PistoleroJesse

• 3 weeks later...

I started wearing Brooks about a year ago and love they way the feel and hold up. Sometimes you can get them online for a little cheaper.

+1 On the Brooks. I went to a running store and since I have flat feet, the salesperson told me that a shoe WITHOUT the arch is better on my feet if I'm running for long periods. He recommended Brooks "The Beast" and my feet couldn't be any happier. :cheers:

I went to Running Zone and got fitted, wore it for a couple weeks and my feet were hurting. They have a 30 day exchange policy even if you have miles on the shoes so I took them back and tried a different pair. Did this twice and ended up with Brooks. They cost a little more there then buying shoes online, but getting the right shoe is worth it.

Guess I should drop back into this thread, haha. Ive been CrossFitting for about 6 months now and have been wearing the Inov8 F-lite 230s. Really like them for that type of workout. Don't do a ton of running. Couple guys there wear Brooks and swear by them. Maybe Ill trek over the running store in town this summer and get fitted up for some.

Guess I should drop back into this thread, haha. Ive been CrossFitting for about 6 months now and have been wearing the Inov8 F-lite 230s. Really like them for that type of workout. Don't do a ton of running. Couple guys there wear Brooks and swear by them. Maybe Ill trek over the running store in town this summer and get fitted up for some.

I've done up to 5K (treadmill) in my 230s and 2.5 miles on pavement. They're fine for forefoot running. Doing a real 5K tomorrow and I intend on wearing them.

Edited by spanky

• 3 weeks later...

I barefoot 95% of the time, the rest of the time I am in either minimalist sandals or when I have to wear shoes for shooting, public places, etc, I wear either Vibram Fives or on the trails and in the shooting bays I wear Merrell Trail Gloves.