Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Quick Skill Test

Ben Stoeger

I have a quick skills assessment test for you guys. Think of this like a fast way to measure where your skill level currently is for USPSA shooting. I am not intending for this to be a “drill” in the conventional sense, this is more like a test to give you a way to track your current skill level.

The requirements are simple, one target, 25 yards of space, and 50 rounds. I recommend keeping the test conditions similar, that means always testing yourself at the beginning of a range session, before your practice starts, and always using the same type of target.

Your score on this test is simply the time of all strings added together plus any penalties for points down. (.1 second added per point dropped, don’t forget to add in 10 points down for a miss penalty should a shot miss entirely)

The start position for each string is hands relaxed at side. All strings start facing downrange except for two of them.

If you guys want to shoot the test, then post scores on this thread that may help people get an idea of what is what.

From 7 yards, Draw and fire 6 rounds.

From 10 yards, Draw and fire 6 rounds with your weak hand only.

From 15 yards, Draw and fire 6 rounds with your strong hand only.

From 25 yards, Draw and fire 6 rounds.

From 10 yards, Draw and fire 2 rounds, reload and fire 2 more rounds, reload again and fire 2 more rounds.

From 25 yards, Draw and fire 2 rounds, reload and fire 2 more rounds, reload again and fire 2 more rounds.

From 15 yards, Draw and fire 2 rounds freestyle, then 2 rounds with your strong hand only, then transfer the gun and fire 2 rounds with your weak hand only

From 7 yards, Turn then draw and fire 2 rounds, reload and fire 2 more rounds

From 25 yards, Turn then draw and fire 2 rounds, reload and fire 2 more rounds

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The test is going to be a good test of speed and accuracy I think.. strong hand and weak hand shooting is no joke... put .1 second per point down is gonna push you faster. We will see what happens.

Your score on this test is simply the time of all strings added together plus any penalties for points down.

Do you define points down as being anything outside the center A zone of the target? Or are you doing one point down for a C and two points down for a D?

Your score on this test is simply the time of all strings added together plus any penalties for points down.

Do you define points down as being anything outside the center A zone of the target? Or are you doing one point down for a C and two points down for a D?

The second one.. Just the way USPSA defines points down.

I plan on doing this soon- I like it. 50 shots on one target though... I guess I'll tape between strings or set up other targets so we don't have to walk 25 yds to score 6 shots. I'm thinking of using a total point/time for HF for the entire drill as well as individually. I think .1 sec/point is too little but depends on the string it happens in.

Edited by lugnut

Is the order of the strings important? For example, can you do all of the strings for a given yardage, then move back to the next distance and do all of the strings? Also, is it expected to stop shooting between each string and tape up the target? Or shoot string after string and then score all 50 hits on the target at once?

I plan on doing this soon- I like it. 50 shots on one target though... I guess I'll tape between strings or set up other targets so we don't have to walk 25 yds to score 6 shots. I'm thinking of using a total point/time for HF for the entire drill as well as individually. I think .1 sec/point is too little but depends on the string it happens in.

.1 Second per point may not seem to be enough.. but the reason is to really put a premium on speed of shooting and gunhandling. I think it works well at that level.

Is the order of the strings important? For example, can you do all of the strings for a given yardage, then move back to the next distance and do all of the strings? Also, is it expected to stop shooting between each string and tape up the target? Or shoot string after string and then score all 50 hits on the target at once?

Shoot all 50 into one target... that seems quickest to me. (thats what I usally do on things like this).

I dont think the string order matters at all... but you never know I guess.

I am going to give this a try the next time I go out for Live Fire practice. But I think I will stop between each drill to tape and score the target so I know which one I am having the most issues with. Knowing what drill you are having accuracy issues on has to be a good data point to know. I think this will also make each drill be executed from a universal "Cold" state. If you stand there and run drill after drill after drill you get grooved into the shooting which will make a difference in your performance. At least I know it would for me.

I also wanted to add that if we are counting from a "Points Down" perspective wouldn't a Miss be -15 points? 10 point miss penalty and 5 missed points on the target.

Yeah the total is 15 points. The "penalty" portion is only 10 though.

Did it today with a few guys. Some of the things were "comfortable" some not so much- like the weak and strong hand shooting! We will try to do it on a regular basis to see how things go. Thanks.