Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Quick Skill Test

Ben Stoeger

Ran this about a week ago. Keep in mind I am 69 years, been shooting about 4 years, started with a 45acp then switched to Production this year, class B. Here are my results.

A 34

B/C 13

D 2

Time: 52.72 Subtotal 56.52

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Heya

I'm a B Production shooter

I tried this for the first time today ice cold first thing at the range. got raw time of 45.79 but i accidently shot the first 3 strings at 7 yds, not 7, 10, 15. my total after points down was 48.39. Next time i run it i'll be sure to get the distances right. I got a hat cam for christmas so shooting the video of this test was its first use. String 9 did not record :angry2: After watching the footage i think that i may have to knock down the sand on my grip tape some, it looks like im struggling to shift the gun in my hand for the reloads. Though some of the loads later in the test did look better. ether way i can gain some time on those for sure. -Craig

http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=csp02301&search_filter=0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l-bK7PgvyHQ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zehMAt8KrrY

Edited by poopshooter

I did this again today with 2 months off from shooting. January 2 is the beginning of my training season so I thought I would do this once a month to see where I am at, today being the "baseline".

One note....PM Centermass if you want to make it easy as far as scoring (post#57). The spreadsheet he made (one for major, one for minor) makes it simple. Thanks Centermass!

Shooting it stone cold after 2 months off reaallly shows the rust! It was cold and blowing 35 mph gusts and the hands just felt like clubs. 67.02 overall (singlestack major), I had a hard time with the one hand shooting and reloads mainly because the hands just didn't want to work. I should have put some slide glide on my knuckles! :wacko:

• 8 months later...

I ran this last Thursday as a baseline for my new training regimen. Not the best numbers, but it gives me a place to start and some great feedback on what I need to work on. :)

Total Time: 46.03

Penalties: 9.80

Adjusted Score: 55.83

I am currently a 70% B shooter

Edited by Pensfan

• 2 months later...

FWIW, did this a month ago. Using Goldenbear's score sheet, and ran it cold.

Production: M

41.0 raw: 35 As, 11 Cs, 4 Ds.

3.8 in penalties

44.8 total.

2 Ds were strong hand only shots, 2 were shots that happened AFTER a reload (25 & 7yd). One of the SHO shots was after a reload as well. Hmmm... I've done a LOT of practice since acquiring targets after reloads, and strong/weak hand transitions, and added bill drills at 7 & 25 yds to my regular live fire practice. May try this again in a week or two.

Edited by facelessman

• 2 months later...

Ran this drill with my duty gear today. Factory Glock 17, with a level 3 ALS holster and duty mag pouches. Factory amno. How I miss shooting with race gear.

39 A

10 C

1 D grrr, felt it as it went down range

total time with pen. 64.07 fun drill, I will continue to use it. Thanks for posting it Ben.

Keith Tyler

M-iron sights

GM-open

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

I just finished re-reading Ben's excellent book Practical Pistol.

And today my buddy told me about this "cold drill" we might use during off-weekend-practice. Any practice session needs to begin with a full-out effort on the first drill(s). and this seems just right. I'm sure glad he found it. We gotta try it.

• 3 weeks later...

A miss = 10 pts down x 0.1sec = 1.0 sec

In the scoresheet provided the multiplier for the total # of misses is a 10 w/c I think should be 1.0

So for every miss you add 1 sec to your raw time as penalty

This is how I understand Ben intended it to be

Am I correct?

Eta: some are adding 1.5sec for a miss w/c includes the 5 pts lost (A) = 10+5 = 15 x 0.1

Ben reiterated that its should only be the 10pt penalty to be considered

I think its because we are not counting the points per hit in the time as scores.

Edited by BoyGlock

• 1 year later...

58.87 Raw time

13 Charlie

2 Delta

3.4 Penalties [shooting minor power factor]

62.27 Total

I shot the drill cold, and haven't shot pistol in roughly two months... and it was about 35-40 degrees out. So my hands felt pretty slow.

I have attended some local defensive pistol matches, but I've never shot any IPSC or USPSA.

Looks like I need to pick up the pace quite a bit as my raw time looks pretty slow.