Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Need Reloading Help

I did a search for .257 Roberts and didn't find anything. Now I know that it is used in many sport shooting activites that I am aware of, but I have a friend who wants to purchase a Dillon reloading press, we are going halves on it. I reload .40 and 9mm, he wants .257 Roberts. Is there a Dillon press that will load these three rounds. I understand that I will have to buy differnet conversions for each round. Other than the dies to I have to change out a powder bar similar to shotgun reloading.

I currently use a single stage press for pistols so this is a little new to me in rifle and pistol calibers. I use a Mec progressive for shotgun shells.

Are the Dillon presses accurate enough to load .40 and 9mm without having to measure each powder drop. Hope that makes sense.

I did a search for .257 Roberts and didn't find anything. Now I know that it is used in many sport shooting activites that I am aware of, but I have a friend who wants to purchase a Dillon reloading press, we are going halves on it. I reload .40 and 9mm, he wants .257 Roberts. Is there a Dillon press that will load these three rounds. I understand that I will have to buy differnet conversions for each round. Other than the dies to I have to change out a powder bar similar to shotgun reloading.

I currently use a single stage press for pistols so this is a little new to me in rifle and pistol calibers. I use a Mec progressive for shotgun shells.

Are the Dillon presses accurate enough to load .40 and 9mm without having to measure each powder drop. Hope that makes sense.

Do you already have dies for the 257 roberts?

as far as the other questions yes, yes, yes. I load with a RCBS Pro2000, Rock Chucker, and a Partner Press.

A Dillon RL550B will do everything that you need. Buy it in any one of the three calibers and at the same time buy the other two change over kits. I would also buy "Quick Change-Over Kits" as well but that is just me (they include extra powder measures and toolheads).

To answer at least one of your questions directly; the Dillon powder measure are accurate enough to throw to within less than 0.1 grain with most pistol powders.

Brian

Edited by Too_Slow

On a RL550B the shellplate is the same for both 9mm and 40 S&W (#5), the locator pins are different (9mm-#3 and 40 S&W-#2), and the powder funnels are different (9mm-#F and 40 S&W-W) part of the reason for that is that the powder funnel also flairs the case for bullet seating (no separate flairing die needed). All three are different for .257 Roberts (note if you ever decide to load .45acp or 30-06 the shellplate and locator pins are the same as .257 Roberts).

Brian

The 550 is an excellent press.

With the 550 Deluxe Quick-change Kit for about $100.00 Swapping from one caliber to another is sweet.

If your loads for pistol use a powder that fills the case less then half full then the 650 may be worth looking in to, as it is 5 stage and can run a powder check in one stage.

Most bad loads I have seen were from too much or too little powder.

In addition to the replys, check these out if you haven't seen them:

Dillon FAQ:

http://www.brianenos.com/pages/dillonfaqs.html

“Which Dillon”:

http://www.brianenos.com/pages/dillon.html#which

be

The 550 is an excellent press.

With the 550 Deluxe Quick-change Kit for about $100.00 Swapping from one caliber to another is sweet.

If your loads for pistol use a powder that fills the case less then half full then the 650 may be worth looking in to, as it is 5 stage and can run a powder check in one stage.

Most bad loads I have seen were from too much or too little powder.

I use a 550, and it is very easy to see the powder level in all my pistol brass. After you load the same charge for a while, you can see if the level is off, or different. I thought I needed a powder checker before I bought my 550, but I do not see the need for it now. YMMV.

ok so I have done a little more research and buying a dillon reloading machine seems kind of difficult when you are trying to do it for more than one caliber, but I think I have it under control for the most part.

a few questions I still have: So when you purchase the machine and they ask for the caliber that you would like, they are just using that so they can set up the pins and the tool head for you and they assume you have dies, or you have to buy dies at an extra cost.

Had to go to dillons website and on there website under the 550b I clicked the "set up" for .257 roberts, but a little further down where it asks for dies they don't have .257 roberts, I am assuming they don't make .257 roberts dies, but they can set there machine up to load .257 roberts if you already have the dies. Is this correct.

Does anyone make .257 roberts dies anymore. If so please list ones that I can use for the 550 b.

Thanks

You are correct in that dies are not included with the RL550B. Dillon Precision does not sell dies for this cartridge, but any brand of standard 7/8-14 thread dies will work. Try RCBS, Redding for starters.

Both RCBS and Redding have the die sets listed. Of the two the Redding dies are most likely the better of them, they cost a little more but you get really top quality from them. Another thing is that from Redding you can get the 'Deluxe Die Set' that includes the Neck Sizer along with the Full Length Sizer.

Brian

Cool, thanks for all your help. see if this makes since for an order.

the 550 set up for 40 cal, 40 cal dies, and another caliber conversion kit for the .257 roberts, plus all the other goodies

RL 550B in 40S&W $429.95

Carbide pistol dies 40S&W $ 62.95

An 'As it Should BE' upgrade $149.95

550 Maint/Spare part kit $ 30.95

10 pack pistol deprime pins $ 5.49 you will bend and break pins.

4-pack sm.primer pickup tubes $ 22.95

add the following for the other two rounds you mentioned.

2 550 Quick Change Kits $ 98.95 ea.

25-06 caliber conversion $ 44.95 same as 257 Roberts

Carbide pistol dies 9mm $ 62.95

set of three #3 Locator Pins $ dont know price p/n 14060

Powder Funnel #F (for 9mm) $ dont know price p/n 13806

There are other things that you will need if you have only loaded shotgun prior to this but this is a good start. I was able to find everything except the last two items listed on BE's store.

Brian

Edited by Too_Slow

That all looks good Too_Slow.

Odd items, like Locator Buttons and Powder Funnels, are in my store. Click the drop-down menu, "Dillon Menu," that is just under the left side of the main, tabbed nav menu.

And Brian since you are being so helpful -I've been changing the name and formatting of that drop-down menu for years, in the hope of getting more people to click it.

So...

Did you just not see the "Dillon Menu" drop-down menu?

Or,

Diid you see the drop-down menu, but it's name didn't prompt you to click it to find Locator Buttons / Powder Funnels?

If you saw the menu but didn't think Locator Buttons would be in it, I'm thinking of changing its name to, maybe:

All Dillon Products

All Dillon Items

Dillon Menu - Everything

More Dillon Items

More Dillon Products

Miscellaneous Dillon Items

List of all Dillon items

List of all Dillon Products

?

Thanks!

be

I have a friend who wants to purchase a Dillon reloading press, we are going halves on it. I reload .40 and 9mm, he wants .257 Roberts. I currently use a single stage press for pistols so this is a little new to me in rifle and pistol calibers. Are the Dillon presses accurate enough to load .40 and 9mm without having to measure each powder drop.

sounds like you could use the DILLON square deal for the pistol ammo and the single stage for the .257 (great

cartridge, by the way). I'm assuming he doesn't shoot more than 100 rounds of .257/month?

that will save you some pesos.

I have a friend who wants to purchase a Dillon reloading press, we are going halves on it. I reload .40 and 9mm, he wants .257 Roberts. I currently use a single stage press for pistols so this is a little new to me in rifle and pistol calibers. Are the Dillon presses accurate enough to load .40 and 9mm without having to measure each powder drop.

sounds like you could use the DILLON square deal for the pistol ammo and the single stage for the .257 (great

cartridge, by the way). I'm assuming he doesn't shoot more than 100 rounds of .257/month?

that will save you some pesos.

I concur, loading rifle rounds like 257 generally isnt a high volume thing. Are you neck trimming and doing extra prep work after deprinming ? Id sell use the single stage you already have for the .257 and buy a SDB for the volume pistol rounds.

thanks for all the help. i believe the friend wants to do some other calibers later so i will have to talk to him and see what he wants to do. the "purchase order" looks great. that is what i was looking for. i have reloaded .40and am currently loading .40 on the single stage.

that was great help again.

BE the store was very help, i was just a little confused about the whole caliber conversion and what stuff i needed

thanks for all the help. i believe the friend wants to do some other calibers later so i will have to talk to him and see what he wants to do. the "purchase order" looks great. that is what i was looking for. i have reloaded .40and am currently loading .40 on the single stage.

that was great help again.

BE the store was very help, i was just a little confused about the whole caliber conversion and what stuff i needed

Right - it's a bit of a learning curve:

http://www.brianenos.com/pages/dillonfaqs.html#550calconv

(click the pic at the link)

be

ok i will be purchasing early next week. what locator pins do i need for the .257 roberts.

It looks like i will be reloading some other calibers as well and we are going to be getting into high volumes of both rifle and pistol.

i saw on BE's website that there is a set for exotic calibers, not sure if that would be the correct one.

thank you for all your help guys, that is why i love this site.

Get the caliber conversion kit for 25-06, it uses the same shell plate, locator buttons, and powder funnel as .257 Roberts (both cases are based on the 30-06).

Brian

Edited by Too_Slow

too slow thanks for all your info. i watched some video on youtube and now i understand more about the process with the 550 and what some of the parts are.

i also understand that i should have read your earlier post b/c that is what you told me to do. haha thanks again everyone.

I am looking at the .257 redding dies now and they have the deluxe set with three dies.

Full Length Sizer Die (with decapping / expander unit)

Neck Sizer Die

Seater Die (with built in crimping ring and seater plug).

How does that work with the 550 since the powder station also expands the neck,

do you put the powder station after the neck sizer die or before.

or can i just buy a 2 die set for the .257 roberts and go stage one deprime, resize, prime

stage two powder and expand, stage 3 set and crimp, stage 4 nothing.

I understand how it works with the dillon dies due to the depth and crimp in diff. stages. just not sure what do do when not using dillon dies

Edited by ss+P

ok i am loooking at the .257 dies now.

they have a 2 and 3 die set.

i am assuming that with a 2 die set you deprime, resize, and prime in stage 1.

powder and flare on stage 2, and set and crimp in stage 3 and nothing in stage 4.

how does it work for the 3 die set.

stage one is the same, but do you move the powder drop to stage 3 instead of stage 2 b/c there is a neck sizing die. I don't think you would want to flare the case and then resize the neck. hope that makes sense.

ok i am loooking at the .257 dies now.

they have a 2 and 3 die set.

i am assuming that with a 2 die set you deprime, resize, and prime in stage 1.

powder and flare on stage 2, and set and crimp in stage 3 and nothing in stage 4.

Yes. I'd just get the 2 die set and forget about the neck sizing die.

be