Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Marines Adopt Leopuld 1-8x CQBSS

DocMedic

another what's good for the military/le-- doesn't have anything to do with civilian needs/uses. Leo did some pretty amazing engineering stuff to make this scope work. And by their graces, we as sports shooters, get to share in an "over production" , instead of upgrading some of the stuff sports shooters could really use, but I guess war drives technology. Nightforce has a super scope in the works because of these contracts, and swfa has introduced their 5x20 ffp so the money has attracted some other players. Hopefully the sports shooters will see something out of all this in lower prices and better product.

If it wasn't for the price... I'd be using this scope.

At 4k I am not willing to make very many compromises. The eye box as power increases is seriously lacking, and while it has a great feature set it is purely overkill for our purposes.

WIth respect to the weapon systems the marines say these are going on, I would suspect they will never see an M2 or MK19. More likely they had funds for optics for those systems in the budget and so that is how the contract read. But I can't see any guys downrange not getting these on rifles as soon as they arrive.

While it may be heavy and have a sensitive eye relief at higher powers (we'll ignore price), that is still one sweet scope. I got to play with one at SHOT, and the way that the FFP red dot opened up to a horseshoe on higher powers was awesome. I hope other companies catch on.

Leupold will have to start building better scopes if they ever want me as a customer again. Their newer products have been so far off from a quality scope that they are losing many people. For the cost there are better scopes out there. Leupold even asked Frank from Snipers Hide to go to there factory to help them build a better product due to all the complaints. First rule they should follow is stop buying chinese parts :)

I would love to try one out, but I would not buy one at the current price. Is the price purely a product getting a 1.1-8 power into the scope? You can get a USO 1.8-10 for $1670 +/- depending on what options you want.

I still want to play with one.

Randy

Considering the ass-backwardness of the DoD procurement process, I wonder if this isn't just a "creative" way to get the Leupy in the USMC inventory. It's probably easier to justify a $3000 sight for a $10000 Mk19 than a $1000 rifle. It wouldn't surprise me to see units with Eotechs or irons on on M2s and Mk19s (an 8X scope on an area fire weapon?) but some kick-ass glass on their DMRs. :devil:

DanO

Considering the ass-backwardness of the DoD procurement process, I wonder if this isn't just a "creative" way to get the Leupy in the USMC inventory. It's probably easier to justify a $3000 sight for a $10000 Mk19 than a $1000 rifle. It wouldn't surprise me to see units with Eotechs or irons on on M2s and Mk19s (an 8X scope on an area fire weapon?) but some kick-ass glass on their DMRs. :devil:

DanO

I can see that being the case. :roflol:

I saw the title and I'm like, "what the f*#k kind of mount do you need to actually USE 8x on a MK19." :roflol:

Anything that is in line with the barrel WRT to elevation would have the barrel and scope pointing 45 degrees in the air at the distance you need 8 power.

Edited by DyNo!

I played with one for the month of December. Check my avatar. It is a great scope out on the range. It is heavy-I can bench press about three pounds and I have a weak strong hand from a nerve stretching injury and it is heavy. Try doing a hundred mounts or snap shots with it. You will notice it. That said, for iron man or rocky mountain it probably works ok. Just not the best hoser scope or short to medium range blister run type scope.

That price point is ridiculous. Leupold has long been too pricey for my tastes in the context of what you get. You can get more features and the same or better quality for the same money in some good Japanese glass. But when you get up over $2K I'll take a NightForce or Swaro any day.