Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Production Pistol

Currently I am shooting a S&W Model 915, and it is getting some age so I am considering switching to another pistol. I really like the feel of the S&W, so I lean toward one of their models, but I was wondering if you guys had any suggestions for a good solid production class pistol for me to consider. At my level of experience and budget, I am probably best sticking to production class for now (and it gives me an excuse to buy a differnt pistol later :rolleyes: ).

Thanks,

David S.

Just FYI, it's production DIVISION.

My suggestion would be a Smith M&P 9L fro production. Replace the sights and tune the trigger and you have a first rate production rig.

M&P Pro if you like S&W. I have handled a few lately and really like the way they feel. Get an M&P in .40 for a nice production or Lim/Lim 10 pistol. I have a Glock 35 that I am really pleased with and what I love about it is that I can compete equally in all 3 divisions with it but I do shoot my Edge slightly faster than the 35.

Brian

Don't get tunnel vision. Take Grumpy's advice and look at a CZ. I would look at a Glock 34 or 35 if you want utter reliability and the largest selection of aftermarket DIY upgrades.

I think the Glock 34/35, the M&P Pro/L, and the CZ all have great reasons for why they're so popular. Test out all three and see which you prefer.

I have a 34 and a CZ Shadow, and for now I'm sticking with the 34. The grip angle is a non-issue for me; it's just a little practice to go back and forth. What is an issue is the CZ's safeties are terrible, and it's really easy to accidentally activate the safety while firing the gun. I've switched to a standard CZ-75 safety, and it's a little better, but if I ever leave the 34 behind I'll probably put Rami safeties on the Shadow for the lowest-profile safety available. As far as my times go with the guns, they're pretty similar. The Shadow seems a little faster on the splits, the 34 is a little faster on the transitions, but we're talking one or two hundredths of a second either way. The 34 has an advantage in terms of sight radius, but the CZ is more inherently accurate (better trigger in SA mode, and better slide/frame/barrel fit). Both respond really well to tinkering. Pick one of the above and stick with it for at least a year and you will be well on your way.

BTW, if you're not already reloading, and you want an excuse to buy a pistol later (as you mentioned), don't get a .40.

If you are not reloading, I'd buy one of the above in 9mm. You always need another gun, so you can get the .40 later. I've shot the glocks, Smiths, and an XD, however; not having shot a CZ, I find the comments and shooter loyalty to them very intriguing and the CZ will be my next Production gun.

CZ shadow here. Bought sight unseen on just reviews and I could not be happier (I hope) lol. I probably have close to 2500 rounds throw it already in a year and haven't had a jam with ever ammo I can find.

Looks like OP and I have one thing in common problem, Safeties. I thought I was bumping the LHS safety (im right handed) during reload BUT apparently it is my index finger (strong hand) activating the RHS safety during reload when "finger off the trigger" and index finger goes on the frame bumping the safety.

I think this is fixable by dry fire. or changing the safety to a smaller OEM safety.

But again, preference. I just like CZ. heavier, more manageable recoil. to me.

My vote if I may, is for the Glock 34.

Thats just me, I have shoot Sigs and S&W and always come back to my "blocky gripped to big for my hand Glock 34".

If production is really the division you want to shoot. there is no reason to deal with the .40 when everyone shoots for minor score, now if you want to shoot Limited or L10 then the 35 or one of the many fine production guns listed in the rule book will do fine for any of the three divisions PRD - L - L10 Cheers :cheers:

Oh' wait im sorry I live in California I dont get as many choices as most of you. but I think I would still be shooting the 34 if I did.