Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

OK Lets talk Comps

ty34984

:surprise: The comp on the left is a really good comp for 38 super type guns.

The comp ive found that works the best with 9mm is the Jim hand Egw comp,next is the CNC 4 port comp number 11830.

The comp I use on my super is the Caspian "X" Comp, I run about 170 P.F, If you all keep your P.F. up around 170 your 9mm

open guns work good there.

Jim/Pa

Sailors :sight:

Jim I had my eye on that Jim Hand Egw comp and I thought it could be a good one, the only thing that turned me off was it is heavy. Then again a aluminum guide rod could offset the weight enough to balance the gun out. Funny thing is I like a heavy limited gun and a light weight open gun.

Yes, after reading all the stuff on comps. Just screw one on and shoot, shoot , shoot It reallt doesnt matter the design. Nuf said.

No doubt you can work around a bad comp but been there done that, and yes it makes the difference between a violent gun and one that you can shoot fast and comfortable. A lot can be done with the right powder, in a 38S but with a 9 there are fewer options. Jim Anglin builds some of the best shooting and running 9 majors I've seen, if he says the Jim Hand is the way to go, get one.

Comps make a big difference in their design, but mostly I prefer forward angle or straight up and 4 big ports. The Dawson #2 is about the best I've ever used, and I've used just about all of them. 3 ports don't work well unless it's a steel gun shooting minor.

I would not "just screw one on and go shoot" - you have to figure out what works, for your style of shooting. Spring weights are just as critical, you can't just "go shoot" there either. Open guns are very sensitive to minor changes, and you need to experiment with what works the best with your powder / bullet combo.

For instance, I personally prefer 115's and lots of powder vs. 124's. I like a flat shooting pistol, not a flippy one. Anyone here that has seen me shoot, I shoot fairly fast, most splits are 12's and transitions can be 15's on close targets.

so for the OP of the thread, yes angles make a difference but it is small in my opinion compared to the number and size of the ports. 4 port, straight up, dawson #2 and work on springs, recoil rods, and powder loads for around 169 pf.

But of course YMMV and it's all about what you like, not me. I'm just saying experiment and you'll narrow it down. You can adjust to anything, but don't handicap yourself with equipment - be true to your own style.

my favorite open setup:

dawson 2 comp

sprinco open race rod

9# spring

15# hammer spring

shortened slide 3/8 to 1/2, some flat topped, some not, doesn't matter

scoop cut the back where the bomar would go

standard bbl

let it rip - this setup is not for the timid.

forgot to add that I also port the bbl twice, 12 o'clock, once in the comp thread area, once more behind that through the slide/bbl. No the comp doesn't come off when it gets hot, just in case you're wondering! :-) Use loctite 620 retaining compound on the threads, the green goo of doom.

Saw an interesting Comp Saturday in a 2 gun match, the gun had a hybrid barrel 4 holes and the comp ports were split out the sides of the comp. The gun seemed to shoot pretty well. I asked about the load he was using and he said it took a while to sort it out but the gun ran well at 190pf. Yes, at 190 pf he reached the taming of the interesting comp. Sure glad I not running a rig like that. Among GOOD comps there might not be a whale of a difference but some flat suck.

;)

The Jim Hand comp from Egw isnt that much heavier by the time you get it all matched up to the slide it is just fine, I dont

think that aluminum guide rod is a way tolighten a gun, because the aluminun is so flexable it can slow a slide down a bit

and make it feel like it is sorta bouncing so it seems to me.

I too have a barrel set up that I run 190 P.F., it shoots flat and makes the RO's a little jumpy , then again if I

feel like making a lot of noise I can shoot the 9x25 set-up I have :P:goof:

I think the open gun I have Caspian :bow: 38 super is as good as it gets, I use one of their "X" comps it sure works

good for me. Idont believe in changing guns often, my 40 Limited Caspian is ~ 13 years old.Its the older style frame,

my opengun is the first year square trigger guard model dont know howold its is got lots of round through it.

Get something built you like maintain it good and just shoot it, soon it will be an old friend and you will like it a lot.

Jim/Pa

Sailors

• 4 months later...

If you ever want to know if a port is doing anything on a comp with a particular load, go to the range with a roll of electrical tape.

Wrap a 2-3 wraps around the port in question and fire a shot. If it doesn't cut the tape, that port isn't doing anything useful. The more wraps it breaks, the more gas is being redirected.

If you ever want to know if a port is doing anything on a comp with a particular load, go to the range with a roll of electrical tape.

Wrap a 2-3 wraps around the port in question and fire a shot. If it doesn't cut the tape, that port isn't doing anything useful. The more wraps it breaks, the more gas is being redirected.

I'll try that...... THANKS

im gonna try that tomorrow! Im guessing since you are suggesting this you have tried it?

im gonna try that tomorrow! Im guessing since you are suggesting this you have tried it?

Yes, I did it a lot fiddling with comps and loads. Be sure to pick up the shards of tape. It works best with stretchy electrical tape since you can look at the residual pieces and see how hard they were stretched before they broke. Masking/Target tape is not nearly as useful.

great info!!!

I tried this today at the range......... I found that the front port worked just fine. The gun shot super flat with the 4 port's, NO side port's will be added.

• 2 weeks later...

My 2 cents. If you have a decent comp, any of them in common use today, you will get more gains playing with your bullet,powder, and springs than changing comps. There is really nothing that new under the sun with comps that I've seen.

IF you never practice enough with any given setup you never get in tune with it and never see the potential. Too many seem to want something magic to improve their scores when good practice and some good instruction is where it's at for everyone.

If you have a reliable pistol and block out all those thoughts of better comps or whatever, apply yourself, put in work on the things you don't do well you will see results. :ph34r:

Several years ago I had a chance to shoot one of the TOP Shooters (then and now) open gun. Quite frankly His gun was the most violent hard to shoot guns I have ever shot, my equipment is/was MUCH better.

After that lesson I just worked on my shooting, best thing I ever did....

He IS a top shooter and it is not How Flat or Soft the gun is.......Spend the time looking to improve your shooting ability........

Edited by tunakilla