Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Red dot vs iron sights

Cody_2130

I am getting ready to purchase my first 3 gun AR ( a DPMS 3G1)I am trying to decide between a set of decent flip up iron sights or a lower end red dot setup. The budget would be the same with either so I figure ~$100, I have had a cheap $30 red dot from walmart on a .22 before and it seemed to work great and I loved it but have very little experience beyond that so some advice would be great.

If you plan to shoot lots of matches and want to stick in a non-magnified class, be sure to see if there are differences in the classes you will be placed in. Some matches group iron shooters and 1x red dots in the same class while others separate them. This happened to me when I first started shooting - I sank money into a variable optic and offset red dot without thinking about the fact that it would throw me into open class for most matches.

Irons: Troy

Red Dot: I like the small dots like the Burris FastFire II or similar models made by C-More, Doctor, Leupold, etc.

Good luck!

Cheers,

Kyle

Cheap red dot and long range shooting don't usually mix because the dots are too big on those things. If I were you I would add the DPMS rear fixed sight and Fixed front sight to your rifle. If you really want to shoot irons like the pros you will slide the front post all the way out to that muzzle break.

Here are the links at Brownells so you know what I mean.

http://www.brownells.com/1/1/16967-ar-15-detachable-rear-sight-detachable-rear-sight-dpms-firearms-llc.html

http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=17848/Product/AR_15_M16_STEEL_DETACHABLE_FRONT_SIGHT

Cheap red dot and long range shooting don't usually mix because the dots are too big on those things. If I were you I would add the DPMS rear fixed sight and Fixed front sight to your rifle. If you really want to shoot irons like the pros you will slide the front post all the way out to that muzzle break.

Here are the links at Brownells so you know what I mean.

http://www.brownells.com/1/1/16967-ar-15-detachable-rear-sight-detachable-rear-sight-dpms-firearms-llc.html

http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=17848/Product/AR_15_M16_STEEL_DETACHABLE_FRONT_SIGHT

Would that front sight work mounted on the gas block? I would like to keep the site radius as long as I can if I go with iron sights....

This is another option that I was considering. http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/63971-1.html Possibly going with a 3x magnifier kit down the road as well.

Edit: looking at the Mako BUIS setup, I can order those with the gun a get a decent discount on them from DPMS. Any thoughts on that setup?

Edited by Cody_2130

I just put a set of MBUS on my nephews Nordic Components NC22. They are adequate but that plastic stuff scares me for 3 gun. You do a lot of bumping and bruising to your firearms. They need to be tough. The same goes for the cheap red dot sights. Can they take a beating?

For sure man, unfortunately for me I am blowing most of my money on the gun and some extra mags so my budget is pretty tight as far as sights/optics go. I plan on upgrading later on to something alot better.

Pay a little extra and get the Weaver 1x3 scope, the V3. If your running your stock out and not going nose to charging handle then you can get by with regular high rings or even better the burrins pepr mount. VERY good scope for the money and will not hold you back. If you look on the classifieds they come up from time to time. Under 100 bucks your options are slim and will probibally be disappointed pretty quick. For a 22 those cheap dots might be decent(dot is usually huge) but on the ar15 they arnt as good or hold up as welll

The Weaver 1-3x is a GREAT little scope for the money, and would be much preferable to the fixed 3x. The 3x would be pretty slow on the close in targets. You did say for 3gun competition, right?

BTW, Cody, I'm right across the river from you.

The Weaver 1-3x is a GREAT little scope for the money, and would be much preferable to the fixed 3x. The 3x would be pretty slow on the close in targets. You did say for 3gun competition, right?

Some guys do pretty good with ACOGs that are fixed power even on close in targets. Keep both eyes open and use the bindon point aimping concept. It works reasonably well for me but I admit I do prefer a good lower power variable scope.

Pat

What about the Burris AR-332? (http://www.burrisoptics.com/ar332.html) If I am planning on going with red dot/ tripeler setup on the gun should I just go with the 3x fixed and call it a day?

It is a good optic, but not the best for 3 gun. I have it on my .450 Bushmaster AR. If you want to go Optics, the absoute best scope for the money is the Burris Tac30. There is nothing that touches it in its price range (or several steps above for that matter). Do NOT go cheap on sights! I'd rather shoot a $500 M4gery with decent sights than a $2000 rifle with crappy sigths in a 3 gun match. You are going to be looking at about $400 minimum for quality sights regardles of if you go irons, red dot or magnified optics.

If you are shooting local matches where shots don't go out past 100 yards or so, then the cheap option will get you by. Shoot the cheap otpion at a major with targets out at 400 and beyond, you will literally be praying for a chance lucky hit.

You can get a nice set of irons for around $120 bucks.

Armalite makes a clamp on front that you can stick out on the end of the barrel. Get the small DPMS rear, stick a skinny post in the front sight base and call it a day.

I'd steer clear of the budget red dots, if you really want a red dot look at the Eotechs or the little Leupold.

Edited by technetium-99m

Yeah the gun will see some "just-for-fun" 3 gun stuff and lot of shooting at my buddys place. Pm me if ya wanna go grab a beer and talk guns sometime man!!

Some guys do pretty good with ACOGs that are fixed power even on close in targets. Keep both eyes open and use the bindon point aimping concept. It works reasonably well for me but I admit I do prefer a good lower power variable scope.

Pat

Yeah, I know a guy who uses, I believe, a 3.5x ACOG and does pretty well with it. I think he'd do better with a good variable.

After re-reading the rules I do need to stay with either iron sights or a non-magnified red dot, which takes the Burris out of the running.

Go with irons only for now. Least expensive and you will learn to shoot well with them. How most of us started. Trijicon Reflex are good dot sights and can often be purchased for around 300 or less, used.

Go with irons for the price you're shooting for.

Red dots are fine if you don't shoot at great distances or at small targets. (Both of which will always be present at major matches)

I have yet to see a RD with a crisp enough dot combined with no tint on the lenses.

Non-contrasting targets are already hard enough to see on 1X, having that tint doesn't make them any more visible. :roflol:

The prismatic on the other hand (isn't a red dot) has no tint, and a crisp dot.

Edited by DyNo!

just a comment... a friend set up my 16inch AR10 for heavy metal last year at Ft Benning, he tried to use flip up, back up sights for long range work rather than a dedicated solid front sight mounted on the gas block, and solid mounted adjustable rear sight..we struggled to get the gun to zero at longer distances.... we ended with a drum style factory rear sight...luckily the 1x rule allowed him to use his EOTech

I vote to stay away from cheap red dot. For what you are doing, no good will come from one of those. +1 on the above posts about small targets at distance and the size of the dot, not to mention it won't hold up. If you want fixed sights, go with a traditional front sight base (easy to change and you can go back to your low profile gas block if you go scope or red dot) and maybe fine tune your thickness of front sight post. There are several clamp on rear fixed sights that will fit your description.

What are some good iron sights to use? I am mainly looking for a set of solid moount rather than flip ups as I am going to be shooting alot and would like to not worry about losing my zero.

Daniel Defense 1.5 Rear. Daniel Defense Fixed Front Sight. Lightest. Can be used with a dot sight later.

i had a similar decision to make and went with a yhm flip up front that is mounted near the break. I am very happy so far and can still put my cheap red dot on to play around with. Its no good past 80 yards, but still fun. The irons seem to be holding a zero well event though they are flip up.

IMG-20110401-00005.jpg

i had a similar decision to make and went with a yhm flip up front that is mounted near the break. I am very happy so far and can still put my cheap red dot on to play around with. Its no good past 80 yards, but still fun. The irons seem to be holding a zero well event though they are flip up.

IMG-20110401-00005.jpg

who made your flip-up sights?