Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

9mm minor vs .45 ACP major in single stack

Nemesis Lead

10 shots of 9mm minor vs. 8 shots of .45 ACP major....

Has anyone done any analysis to see which is the more winning combination in Single Stack nationals, etc.?

I am just wondering what the conventional wisdom is here.

Many thanks!

Jay

At the SSTK nationals I would say minor is a poor choice since you will not be able to utilize the 2 round advantage. Stages will be set up for 8 shot SSTK's.

Edited by Strick

Has anyone done any analysis to see which is the more winning combination in Single Stack nationals, etc.?

I am just wondering what the conventional wisdom is here.

Many thanks!

Jay

Just look at the Top 20 at the Single Stack Nationals for the last 10 years. Minor is a losing proposition. More bullets doesn't make up for Charlies & Deltas hemorrhaging points from your score.

Hello: The only one I know that uses a 9mm for single stack is BJ Norris. He is that good that he can come in the top 10. Saying that if he used a 40 or 45 he would be in the top 3 for sure. At a local match you may do very well with a 9mm depending on the shooters :surprise: Thanks, Eric

Look at the SSN results. In most cases, the extra two rounds doesn't overcome the points you give up for your charlie/delta hits.

Of course, if you can shoot faster than TGO and make all alphas, you could be the shooter who disproves the conventional wisdom.

FWIW - I've shot the same matches back to back SS maj/SS min, and I always beat myself running major.

Minor could be an advantage depending on how the stages are setup. 8 round arrays major has it. If its setup for more of a 10 round array minor can be an advantage if you get the hits. The more steel there is, the more minor can shine.

Neither...40 Major! That being said, I believe TGO probably wouldn't win with 9 mm minor but I wouldn't bet against him!!!!!

JMHO

Richard

What advantage does 40 have over 45 while shooting?

Last year (2010), BJ finished 6th overall shooting minor, James McGinty 13th, Doug Koenig 26th. BJ had 2 or 3 bad stages, was 1st overall (by ~1.5 seconds) on the all steel stage.

It would be interesting to see more of the top level shooters shoot minor and see how things pan out.

Can it be done? Yes. Take ANY of their performances, and they will almost certainly place higher if shooting major.

I agree , major is the way to go for the avg to above avg shooter. I have shot and own both,,when facing equal classed shooters, minor is frustrating. The more I shoot 8rd /45 the easier it gets. Just my 2cents worth

In my opinion it depends on the match. Depending on the stages I might opt for SS minor but as others mentioned the SS nats would not be one of them. But in some state and area matches the extra rounds on all steel arrays, being able to prevent standing reloads, and less reloads in general would make minor a better option. If I were serious in SS, I would have one of each, SS 9mm and SS 40. But I would not opt for a 45 only because the cost of lead and brass (and I like the snap of a 40).

The comments about arrays with more than 8 rounds would indicate the some matches aren't following the rules...definitely not the case at Level II or higher matches.

Lots of reading on Single Stack Major V. Minor already:

http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=30118&view=findpost&p=347040

http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=39973&view=findpost&p=455718

http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=123871&view=findpost&p=1399755

http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=39204&view=findpost&p=447205

The comments about arrays with more than 8 rounds would indicate the some matches aren't following the rules...definitely not the case at Level II or higher matches.

Lots of reading on Single Stack Major V. Minor already:

http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=30118&view=findpost&p=347040

http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=39973&view=findpost&p=455718

http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=123871&view=findpost&p=1399755

http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=39204&view=findpost&p=447205

No, the stages I reffer to are leagl arrays since the extra target or steel is availabe from another position as well. There can be in some cases many positions and you may need to go to 3 with 10 rounds but 4 with 8 etc....

Whenever the major vs. minor discussion pops up I can't help but think the obvious... the rules are imperfect, and maybe/probably should be looked at...

How the majority of stages are laid out in a given match, or whether or not a guy happens to reload or just buys his ammo at a box store seems to have more of an influence upon who ends up at the top of the standings more so than many of us may wish and beyond being squarely based on shooting skill sometimes.

IMHO, the gaming shouldn't start before you've decided upon which caliber gun to drop in your holster.

This is only my second summer shooting uspsa. In other words, I'm still learning and improving. With that said, I've been shooting minor, and I've really enjoyed it. It makes me focus to keep it in the A's and really pay attention to what I'm doing. On top of that, its been a cheaper way to learn. I'm sure my feelings will change if I get more competitive/better. However, I have found situations where I had an advantage with ten rounds. 8 shot array followed by two steel. I could pick them up without reloading. For now, it works for me, and I'm having a blast learning.

Dave,

Most of the guys are shooting .40 because they shoot .40 in Limited and Limited 10. Saves having to reload another cal. Also you get an extra round. .40 wasn't around when I started 25+ years ago and SS 9 wasn't popular so I shot .45 and still do because the holes are easier for my old eyes to see! That being said, I still shoot .38 Super in IDPA because I have one and the targets are not that far away, plus all the supplies to reload.

FWIW

Richard

I started in SS minor, because that was the gun I owned when I learned about this sport. At most matches, for me with my style and at my level, the advantage of the extra rounds has more than offset the disadvantage of minor scoring. The SS Nat's was a different story, since that match was set up for 8-round mags. Any stage with lots of steel or long/tight shots on paper increases the odds of a make-up shot, and the two extra rounds can save you a standing reload at slide lock. One more advantage is that the 9mm holes are a motivation to learn to call shots rather than looking for holes on the targets before moving to the next array.

Minor has its place and most definitely does not suck. If I were not planning to focus on Limited going forward I would get another top end in .40 for my SS gun. I would bring both to every match and decide which to use based on the stages.