Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Experience with 627 converted to 9mm

TonyT

Has anyone had any experience with a S&W 627 in 357 Magnum converted to 9mm Luger? I saw one at a USPSA match several years ago but as I remember the person was experiencing some difficulties with ejection of the moonclipped rounds. Any accufracy issues shooting a 9mm out of that long cylinder freebore?

Edited by TonyT

No Freebore issues with shorter ammo in my 627 since 1997 and I have 100K+ through the gun. My load is 4.6gr of Univ Clays, 130 gr Montana Gold RN, Fed 100 primers, Starline 38 Colt Short at 1.100" OAL. I have 100K+ shot through this gun and am still using the 1st 1K of Starline Brass that I bought in 1997.

These load in fast, eject fast, and I can shoot a 15 stage match and never once have to wipe or clean down my cylinder. Yes, this shoots minor @ 1100 fps in my 5" bbl. and I won the Standards 50 yd stage at the 2007 Area 1 with this load :-)

If you reload your own there is no need to convert to 9mm, just use Short Colt like Bill. Short Colt is the same length as 9mm.

I've been shooting Short Colt in my gun since 2004, 50,000+ rounds with no issues. My brass is starting to split so its time to get new. Accuracy is good enough to get them all in the "X" ring at 50.

My load has been 4.4 grains of IMR 4756 with a Rainier 158RN but I just started test Bayou Bullet 160's. They take less powder for the same PF. I tested 4.1 grains and the velocities were up around 900fps (144 pf). I've loaded up some with 3.6 to test this weekend.

My 627 is chambered for 38 super, I got plenty of clips with the gun when I bought it, and range brass is free.

I shoot 9mm in it most of the time and have had bad results with the ejection, once I had to hit the rod three times, each time with more force, I lost a lot of blood from that.

But I found that if I only use Federal and Winchester brass it works ok.

I resize with a 38 super die and use the load Bill listed above, at 1.120" OAL. I get 1070 to 1100 fps from it.

If I had the extra money for the clips and brass I would be shooting 38 short colt.

Bottom line: 38 short colt is the way to go , no converting, no hassels, no blood loss.

Some shooters have made the case for the wide availability of relatively inexpensive factory ammo in 9mm as a reason to convert the 627. Personally I wouild opt for a 627 in 38 Super. I have seen a number of shooters use the 38 Short Colt case which is basically a shortened 38 Special.

Hi all,

I understand the aspect of saving by using 9mm components, but how do you get any serious accuracy out of this gun ? 9mm being conical shaped vs. straight walled 38S/38spl. etc. New cylinder? also 9's are .355 and supers .355,5 ??? just wondering

Hi all,

I understand the aspect of saving by using 9mm components, but how do you get any serious accuracy out of this gun ? 9mm being conical shaped vs. straight walled 38S/38spl. etc. New cylinder? also 9's are .355 and supers .355,5 ??? just wondering

If you are shooting IPSC or USPSA only 6 rounds are permitted before a mandatory reload, any additional shots taken gets a procedural penalty. Extra cylinders aren't useful. Check the IDPA and ICORE rules also if you want to play . S&W610 is the way to go: 40 is major, ejects quicker than 10mm, very accurate, Speed-E-Rack made mine custom for 40 which is an excellent product, TC moon clips are expensive but were worth the investment, I bought 40 clips and their loader and unloader also, recoil minimal and easy back on target with big N frame . I shoot 100% manufactured reloads 180G for practice and 180G original factory ammo during competitions. I now have Lee equipment but no time yet to reload myself . I've been shooting IPSC 15 years, open, and production with pistols. I'm 57, heavier and slower than I used to be, therefore the elegance of the revolver has returned the fun back into the game for me. My buddies joked that it would take a calander to time my COF...now they are all wanting to try my wheel gun. I bought my new 610 last year. I researched the decision on this forum as well The Firing Line and the SW forum. I also practice a lot with my 617, saving huge $ on ammo.

Edited by Brian B

To answer Jess's question. With the original supers and the second run, they used the .3575-.358 barrels, which are either 1-16 twist, or I believe I was told 1 18 1/2.

For any decent match grade accuracy with the supers you needed to run a .357-.358 bullet heavier than 125grs. I know some one will post here that their gun will shoot microscopic groups in factory form.... :roflol: and that is cool!, but not the norm. Most every person that set them up for competition had to put an aftermarket barrel on for match grade accuracy. I never tried 9mm in my gun, but I sold it to Mike Carmoney, and I know he posted his results on the forum. It is out there if you search. The accuracy was not there as some of us like, but it would work fine.

I couldn't find a super at the time, and started working with the short colt in my 8 shot .357s, as I had several.

I found that the best projectiles were the longer bearing surface bullets, 147 and above.

With the short colt you can use 9mm data for loads, and have my best accuracy with 150gr and above weight bullets. I also taylor throat my barrels, but some don't like that. To each their own. I load a 170gr billy bullet that stays in the x ring at 50yds for ICORE standards in a standard full length 357 cylinder, I don't remember if I tried it in the short colt cylinder or not....

Once you get past buying the brass, which lasts forever, and buying some Hearthco moon clips, it is a fun proposition, and I never needed a super after that....

Hope this helps....

DougC

If you are shooting IPSC or USPSA only 6 rounds are permitted before a mandatory reload, any additional shots taken gets a procedural penalty.

You could shoot it in production and use all 8 rounds.

I have been suggesting somebody do that since al gore started this forum... Lol

The idea doesn't seem popular.

:)

If you are shooting IPSC or USPSA only 6 rounds are permitted before a mandatory reload, any additional shots taken gets a procedural penalty.

If you didn't sign up in production those extra shots put you in OPEN! :surprise:

L-10 has much less restrictive rules.

Unless you have one of the new 8 shot S&W 610’s L-10 still puts you at multiple disadvantages.

Production is ok even with the 3 round disadvantage at the start.

I would be all over it, if I could (my 627 is a lot cheaper to shoot then my 625).

But it has no spur on the hammer (and I like it that way), so is not useable for production.

If hammer modifications were allowed for revolvers in production I think we would see a lot more of them there.

To answer Jess's question. With the original supers and the second run, they used the .3575-.358 barrels, which are either 1-16 twist, or I believe I was told 1 18 1/2.

For any decent match grade accuracy with the supers you needed to run a .357-.358 bullet heavier than 125grs. I know some one will post here that their gun will shoot microscopic groups in factory form.... :roflol: and that is cool!, but not the norm. Most every person that set them up for competition had to put an aftermarket barrel on for match grade accuracy. I never tried 9mm in my gun, but I sold it to Mike Carmoney, and I know he posted his results on the forum. It is out there if you search. The accuracy was not there as some of us like, but it would work fine.

I couldn't find a super at the time, and started working with the short colt in my 8 shot .357s, as I had several.

I found that the best projectiles were the longer bearing surface bullets, 147 and above.

With the short colt you can use 9mm data for loads, and have my best accuracy with 150gr and above weight bullets. I also taylor throat my barrels, but some don't like that. To each their own. I load a 170gr billy bullet that stays in the x ring at 50yds for ICORE standards in a standard full length 357 cylinder, I don't remember if I tried it in the short colt cylinder or not....

Once you get past buying the brass, which lasts forever, and buying some Hearthco moon clips, it is a fun proposition, and I never needed a super after that....

Hope this helps....

DougC

Doug,

When I tried 130 gr. Rainiers in my 38 Suoper 627 the accutracy was somewhat discouraging - best I could get was 2 inch groups at 50 ft. With the 147 gr. Berry's 9mm bullet those group sizes shrunmk to less than 1 inch. I also used some 9mm 124 gr. Montana Gold JHP's which gavew 1 inch groups at 50 ft. Personally I like the feel of the 147 gr. Berry's and will stick with them.