Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

G22 or G17

I have been batting arounf the question in my head on which to shoot? G22 in Limited class or the G17 in the production Class. I understand the Cost factor on ammo (I dont reload yet) but is there an advantage and/or disadvantage of either or? recoil is not a factor, thanks

I'd go with the G17 in Production. That gun fits that class to a T.

The G22 in Limited gives up to much over the long haul. What I mean by that is that at first it won't matter to you as you are new and learning. Over the long haul, you'll get better, guys with S_I guns and the like at your level are operating with a better platform. In my opinion you'd get to a skill level where your gear is going to help you or hurt you.

The G17 in Production will never hold you back. It is perfect.

Best course is to pick a gun and division and don't look back or second guess. Stay with it for a season or two.

Good luck!!!!!

Since Production is always minor, you can load your 40's for your 22 to shoot real soft and yet be able to shoot major Limited when you feel the urge...of course you will have to load them to get minor loads...unless you go to a third party ammo sales to get minor rounds.

With that said, the 40 cal 22 will work fine, but if you have the 17, store box ammo will work for you. Decisions...decisions...you'll figure it out...use what you have, practice and shoot it, then decide where you want to go after you master the one(s) you have.

Reloading will give you a lot more options. ;)

Are these firearms you own, or are considering purchasing? That makes a big difference.

We had this discussion last night at a USPSA match. .40 minor is softer than 9 minor and so the G22 can do both (Lim and Prod) better than a G17. After that, do you want to load every 8 to 10 rounds, or every 18 to 20 rounds? Limited, even Limited minor is easier to learn the ropes with as compared to production. The capacity limited divisions, Lim10, Production, Single Stack and Revolver, are slower, take more planning and make up shots hurt worse. In Production, add minor and you have to be MORE accurate. My son is only 9, but when he starts, Limited minor with a G22. Easiest way to get started!

Recoil IS a factor BTW.

Yes I already have a G22 and G17.

Buy a small amount of .40 minor and .40 major and try them out agsint the G17 and pick the one you like the best considering the reload every 8-10 rounds or every 18 to 20 rounds.

Are these firearms you own, or are considering purchasing? That makes a big difference.

We had this discussion last night at a USPSA match. .40 minor is softer than 9 minor and so the G22 can do both (Lim and Prod) better than a G17. After that, do you want to load every 8 to 10 rounds, or every 18 to 20 rounds? Limited, even Limited minor is easier to learn the ropes with as compared to production. The capacity limited divisions, Lim10, Production, Single Stack and Revolver, are slower, take more planning and make up shots hurt worse. In Production, add minor and you have to be MORE accurate. My son is only 9, but when he starts, Limited minor with a G22. Easiest way to get started!

Recoil IS a factor BTW.

Very good point!

wg

I would suggest the G17 and run Production or even play in Limited shooting minor. The G17 can be competitive in Production with the addition of decent sights and a 25 cent trigger job, but a G22 in Limited would not be quite as competitive. The G22 can be run in Production with Minor, but you have to reload your own or buy loaded .40 minor, which is more than 9mm. Either way nothing wrong with starting in Production to help you learn to break down stages and get proficient with reloads (which will help your classifier runs).

Another consideration involves magazines. If you have ready and legal access to standard capacity magazines, there's no problem. If you live in a state where you are limited to 10 rounds, though, it is worth noting that tuning a G22 or G35 to run minor PF loads on light springs may be troublesome, as the .40 tenners vary as to how tight they are. Loaded to capacity, some ride the stripper rail so tightly that a light recoil spring may not have enough force to cycle cleanly, and you may see first shot misfeeds when shooting with ten in the mag and one chambered.

The 9mm tenners do not seem to have this issue, nor the full capacity mags in either caliber, as they have more play.

Edited by kevin c

I would suggest the G17 and run Production or even play in Limited shooting minor. The G17 can be competitive in Production with the addition of decent sights and a 25 cent trigger job, but a G22 in Limited would not be quite as competitive. The G22 can be run in Production with Minor, but you have to reload your own or buy loaded .40 minor, which is more than 9mm. Either way nothing wrong with starting in Production to help you learn to break down stages and get proficient with reloads (which will help your classifier runs).

Couldn't have said it any better myself!

Another consideration involves magazines. If you have ready and legal access to standard capacity magazines, there's no problem. If you live in a state where you are limited to 10 rounds, though, it is worth noting that tuning a G22 or G35 to run minor PF loads on light springs may be troublesome, as the .40 tenners vary as to how tight they are. Loaded to capacity, some ride the stripper rail so tightly that a light recoil spring may not have enough force to cycle cleanly, and you may see first shot misfeeds when shooting with ten in the mag and one chambered.

The 9mm tenners do not seem to have this issue, nor the full capacity mags in either caliber, as they have more play.

Good point about the 10 round mags; I have a 10 round mag for my G22 that when loaded to capacity is real hard to do a speed reload. My hi-caps loaded to 10 rounds dont have that problem. Also have a 10 round mag for my STI that I cant even load into the gun with the slide forward. The 10 round law is garbage and doesnt do shit to stop crime. If the lawmakers ever see an A class or higher Production shooter do a speed reload with a Glock they would hopefully realize the fallacy of the law. Makes the politicians feel warm and fuzzy inside though. (rant off; Hawaii is a 10rnd state)

Edited by SIG shooter

So after shooting a clinic today I have decided to go production with G17 right now. I have my first match tomorrow. Also after talking to few of the shooters I might shoot the G22 in production sometimes also! Thanks for all the advice. Will update tomorrow!!