Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Smartphone App for BrianEnos.com ?

My girl has an iPhone, and she some apps on it for place where she regularly shops. Last night she said, "you should get an app for Brian's Store." I'm clueless with smartphones, but after she explained to me why it would be a good idea it made sense.

I googled, "Smartphone application development for retail" and a slew of companies come up that provide that service. So I was wondering if anyone had any experience with this?

Or any type of feedback would be appreciated.

be

Brian,

I have been doing a lot of research on this for my new company www.boettchertechnologies.com and it is very expensive. The quotes I have received have been from 115,000.00 to 170,000.00 believe it or not. I have been looking into learning how to do it vs. having it done, but have to get a mac first.

Tim

Edited by TimBoettcher

Brian,

I have been doing a lot of research on this for my new company www.boettchertechnologies.com and it is very expensive. The quotes I have received have been from 115,000.00 to 170,000.00 believe it or not. I have been looking into learning how to do it vs. having it done, but have to get a mac first.

Tim

WOW - thanks Tim.

be

• 2 weeks later...

I guess I'll chime in here. I guess it really depends on what you're trying to do and who the audience is...

If you're trying to make, say, a 1-stop shopping experience, lowering the barrier for users trying to buy your products, that is one thing (Think, "Amazon.com". A lot of folks are repeat business, trying to streamline the ordering process). On a bit of thought, though, I wonder if many people are trying to streamline the press-buying experience, etc... Seems that most folks would probably call/order online with a full-fledged machine.

If you're trying to create the forum to SmartPhone native, that is another thing...

• 2 weeks later...

Our company does web-based application development and a small percentage of that work is for mobile platforms. We always ask our clients which of these two options is a better fit for their business:

Specific Application

• Provided through the iPhone App Store or the Android Market.
  • Seperate development for both iPhone and Android (two larges market segments)
  • Quite a bit of time and money involved. I can easily believe the quotes Tim has seen, but I am not deep in the financial part in my job (mostly programming).

Device specific webpages

• Additions to current websites that detect the browser and provide better interfaces.
  • Takes advantage of website code that is already written
  • New design and implementation of site which is quite a bit cheaper.

Most of the work we have done involves option 2 because of the time and cost.

My opinion/experience:

I visit the forum often using my Droid with its built-in web browser. I visited the web store on my phone and I don't think I would have a problem ordering from the store other than the clickable buttons are small on a phone.

If there was a free app for the store I would install and use it as it would be a bit more convenient. If that app cost $.99 I would probably just order from the website.

The mobile site here is very effective and usually the first place I go when I open my browser anyway.

I agree. Although it doesn't beat sitting in front of my home computer, the mobile presentation of the forums is about as smooth as it gets. What were the target areas of improvement that you were looking for via an app Brian?

The mobile site here is very effective and usually the first place I go when I open my browser anyway.

I agree. Although it doesn't beat sitting in front of my home computer, the mobile presentation of the forums is about as smooth as it gets. What were the target areas of improvement that you were looking for via an app Brian?

It was my girl's idea... she said it would be good for business if customers could easily make purchases in my store from their smartphone.

http://www.brianenos.com/store/home.html

• 1 month later...

If you use Safari for web browsing you can save any page to the phone's screen. That way you just touch the icon to go straight to the website.

1) Go to the website in Safari

2) Tap the little "square with arrow coming out" which allows you to forward a link.

3) Tap "Save to my Homescreen"

For reading forums, try Tapatalk.

Trvlngnrs

• 3 weeks later...