Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

308 twist rates?

dskinsler83

I've got both, and I don't see very much difference until you get way out there. Then again, with a world class shooter on the rifle, there probably not be any difference at all. m they both seem to work well. I'm about 1500 rounds or so from a new barrel on my 1:12 Kimber Tactical. I may get a 1:11 or 1:11.25 since the barrel will be a custom barrel anyway.

Well my choices r limited to the SPS Tactical or SPS AAC and one has a 1:10 and the other 1:12. The 1:10 is faster and should in theory stabilize the heavier bullets

If it is .308 caliber, not a 30-30, 30-06, etc, etc. I wouldn't shoot the 175g. I would shoot the old 162 gr and the 1:12 to optimize trajectory. It is tried and trued.

If it is a 300 winchester and you are shooting 1000M then switch to the sierra 240g matchking long range bullet with a 9" twist.

in .308, 1:10 or 1:12 works well over a wide spectrum of bullet weights..... it is very forgiving in this area. I have shot bullets as a heavy as a 180 gr Sierra MK in both twists with good results. If it is in an M1A or a Garand, be wary of heavier bullets... The pressures and speed of operation are hard on the Op Rods.

• 3 weeks later...

Well my choices r limited to the SPS Tactical or SPS AAC and one has a 1:10 and the other 1:12. The 1:10 is faster and should in theory stabilize the heavier bullets

Have you made a decision? I recomended the 1:12 because the twist is good enough to stabilize nearly any bullet (definately anything you would shoot in competition) but gives the wimpy .308 cartridge a little more velocity.

Actually I found another choice that I decided to buy. It's a Savage Model 10 PC limited edition w/ 20" fluted barrel 5R rifling @ 1:11.25" rate. Accustock and accutrigger

I have all rem700 bolt guns but recently bought a semi custom savage in 260 rem. It's a great shooting rifle. Controls a little different but I was shooting little bughole groups my first time out. I am a savage fan now.

Actually I found another choice that I decided to buy. It's a Savage Model 10 PC limited edition w/ 20" fluted barrel 5R rifling @ 1:11.25" rate. Accustock and accutrigger

I looked very closely at that rifle and think it's a darn good package except for one thing - I don't like the accutrigger.

The trigger has a safety built into it that is similar to the Glock but can create problems if your finger is not "properly" positioned on it. Here are a couple quotes from other web sites about the issue:

The issue started to rear its ugly head with a shooter in a precision rifle class last year who was running a Mod 10 with an accutrigger in 7.62 x 51. The rifle was a superb shooter and ran perfectly till roll over prone. We found that when we turned the rifle over past the 9 o'clock - 3 o'clock axis it would fail to fire. Pulling the trigger would get you a click but the pin would not strike the primer. I have had people with different year and models of the accutrigger report both yes and no on the issue and Savage simply says that their rifles are designed to be shot in a safe and natural way.
When doing the initial zero of the rifle with the gloves on it became apparent the AccuTrigger was going to be a problem. On several occasions while wearing gloves we had a trigger squeeze where the center blade was not fully depressed and the firing pin was not allowed to strike the primer which resulted in a non-fire event. Removing the gloves helped tremendously but if you were not diligent, even without gloves on, in making sure you had the tip of your finger completely depressing the blade on the trigger, you could get a click without a bang. This was a big enough problem that it is a concern for me. I would even consider replacing the trigger with a Timney or other upgraded trigger that did not have this safely mechanism.

I have an accutrigger on my 22-250 varmint rifle that I use for prarie dogs. It can be dialed way down and is a clean break right from the factory. I think mine is set around 10oz. That is amazing for a factory trigger. With cheap midway bullets (hand loads) my savage easily shoots a 3/8" group at 100!

I don't like the accutrigger.

Have you ever tried it? I too hear of a lot of folks dissing the Accu-Trigger but they fail to mention that they have never actually fired one. This is as much of an internet rumor as the people that claim that shooting bare lead bullets through an OEM Glock barrel fouls said part to the point that it will catastrophically fail after only a few hundred rounds.

Mine is 100% stock and breaks at around 10oz. I can think of a single Rem 700 rifle offering this right out of the box.

If you must, you can always change the trigger group for a Rifle Basix and this will take case of the trigger tab but I don't see any good reason for this.

Edited to add:

I guess I should also mention that I prefer to shoot the lighter 155gr SMK and therefore decided on a 1-in-12 twist barrel.

Edited by Cy Soto

• 2 weeks later...

I just completely finished my new f-class f/tr .308 (only took 2 years for me to finish) had several phone conversations with Hart on the subject. Their answer was they have never seen enough variance with 175gr between 1:10 or 1:12 to recommend going with either. they basically said if you think you will shoot 155 168 or 175 go with 1:12 if you want to shoot the 175-190 then go 1:10 I went with 1:10 and plan to shoot this gun for the first time tomorrow. i know out of the box the same remington had 1:12 and easily held 1/4 inch with 175gr federal match ammo.

• 2 weeks later...

My Savage 10FP has a 1:10 twist and does 175SMKs very well. The Accutrigger breaks clean, too. I too have heard many people saying they don't like the Accutrigger, but when they try mine, they change their minds a bit. There are still some skeptics, but I thinks it's just from Remington's long-standing reputation and some people resist change.

• 1 month later...

I have a 1:12 26" and was recommended by Remington to shoot 165 grain, but a range master suggested 155. I personally have shot well with both out to 300 yards. I shot some 180 but was having zero issues at the time so wouldn't comment too much on that grain.

I have the accutrigger as well and find no problems with it. I have heard about accidential discgarges and so forth, and have tried to make it happen repatedly with dummy rounds. I am confident it is safe, well mine is safe anyways. Factory set about 3.5 lbs I never have adjusted it yet.

Edited by Hamma Slamma

If it is .308 caliber, not a 30-30, 30-06, etc, etc. I wouldn't shoot the 175g. I would shoot the old 162 gr and the 1:12 to optimize trajectory. It is tried and trued.

I have a decent amount of experience around .308's and LR shooting, but I've never seen anyone shoot a 162gr bullet. 175's are one of the standard, the tried and true, along with 168's. 168's work great for shorter range but 175's are better beyond around 600. I'm shooting Sierra Palma 155's now, my rifle doesn't like Lapua's.

My .308 still has the Remington 1/12 barrel and shoots great with 155-175's. I'm sure you'll be happy with your Savage.

Edited by Red_SC