Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Which choke tube for slugs?

bomadera

What is the ideal choke tube for shooting slugs?

It really depends upon the slugs; some are picky. Cylinder would be my choice as there is no need for any choke and a you are doing is hammering the choke tube threads.

Edited by dugout

I called Remington, and they told me nothing tighter than IC. I agree with you, why use a choke tube with a slug.

It really depends upon the slugs; some are picky. Cylinder would be my choice as there is no need for any choke and a you are doing is hammering the choke tube threads.

Slugs will react differently with various chokes. You need to find the one that you like the best. You also need to know what they'll do with the various chokes. If the cylinder choke groups slugs the best, then great, you know. but what if a stage has 3 or 4 slug targets at distance and a popper at 25 yards. You may have some trouble knocking the popper down with the cylinder choke. I wouldn't want to try to change chokes on the clock mid-stage so you'll have to know where you're slugs will impact with your choke that can take down the popper (LM or something).

Jesse is partly right, start with the one you use normally, it takes way too much time to screw in a new one on the clock.

trapr

It's the only way to go. Find one choke that you want to use, and learn where slugs impact with it. As long as it's consistent, use that.

There's far too many stages that have clays and slugs to change out chokes just because there's some slugs on the stage.

Know the impacts with 1 or 2 other chokes too.. just in case. I almost always shoot LM, but if there's a lot of close clays, I'll use IC.. so I check those too.

IC only is an artificial constraint..

Jesse is partly right, start with the one you use normally, it takes way too much time to screw in a new one on the clock.

trapr

It's the only way to go. Find one choke that you want to use, and learn where slugs impact with it. As long as it's consistent, use that.

There's far too many stages that have clays and slugs to change out chokes just because there's some slugs on the stage.

Know the impacts with 1 or 2 other chokes too.. just in case. I almost always shoot LM, but if there's a lot of close clays, I'll use IC.. so I check those too.

It better be the choke you want because after enough rounds, slugs, through a LM choke tube, the choke and barrel treads will be rolled into each other from the hammering, the choke becomes sticky to remove and eventually doesn't come out anymore. Do as you see fit; I'm just saying... :rolleyes:

The Cyl choke tube is what should be used for slugs.

trapr

It better be the choke you want because after enough rounds, slugs, through a LM choke tube, the choke and barrel treads will be rolled into each other from the hammering, the choke becomes sticky to remove and eventually doesn't come out anymore. Do as you see fit; I'm just saying... :rolleyes:

No one I know uses a Cyl choke for 3 gun... it's not really an issue. My opinion of course

trapr

No one I know uses a Cyl choke for 3 gun... it's not really an issue. My opinion of course

This is probably true but it doesn't mean it doesn't cause barrel issues. The OP asked specifically about slugs and choke selection. Is this a 3-gun forum or a technical shotgun forum?

If I wanted to use a choke barrel, LM for instance, I would use Sabot Slugs as this would cushion the choke constriction somewhat.

I just did a quick search and came up with this, maybe it will help the OP:

http://www.angelfire.com/tx/ShotGun/

Has anyone ever fired enough slugs through a tight choke to ruin the threads? I've never met anyone who has, I just hear from people saying what they've heard from someone else. I gotta believe steel and tungsten loads packed into a wad have to be harder on a choke than a hollow soft lead Fosters slug.

Accurate slug shooting was kind of my thing for a number of years, some sort of choke almost always gave better groups than cylinder bore. You could easily over choke them though, swaging them down too much and accuracy goes to hell.

The most interesting (and biggest failure) was probably 10ga slugs through an extra-full turkey choke. LoL. Didn't hurt anything, of course we didn't shoot hundreds of them either.

Edited by cas

Although it is easier on the bbl. and choke tube to run the widest choke you can with slugs, you generally don't shoot too many slugs during a stage. I've used cylinder, ic, mod., lt.mod. and full, depending on what else is going on for that stage.

Somewhere around here, I have a tube that is rifled, for slugs, but, for low-recoil, slugs, it hasn't proved to be any more accurate than the rest, out of my shotguns.

Not good for the threads, get real expensive quickly to replace barrels. In addition, many stages require shot as well as slugs and a choke is helpful B)

I called Remington, and they told me nothing tighter than IC. I agree with you, why use a choke tube with a slug.