Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Traditional cmore mount or 90 degree mount

Mat Price

I've run both. I wound up with the upright (although I could change again in the next 1/2 hour). I will say though that if I ran a 9mm I would definitely run a sideways mounts. Eliminates the issue some 9s have with extracting cases hitting the bottom of an upright mount as they leave the ejection port.

My Trubor was a good enough gun that the previous owner made master with it.. but every once in a while, it would bounce a case back into the ejection port.

With the 90* mount, it ran perfectly.

I am really considering getting the quinn II. and returning my dawson mount. I have used a cheely on a gun i built for a lady and i see no difference in finding the dot. between the upright and the 90. I just needed a nudge.

I have been through three mounts on my open gun.

I started with the traditional Allchin/STI mount with the Cmore mounted upright. I had no complaints about the gun or the mount and I learned to shoot with it very well. However when I built a limited gun and began switching between the two platforms I was bothered by having two different indexes. One for the C More and one for the Irons on the limited gun. The difference was slight but it was enough to get me to explore the 90 degree mount. I chose a Cheely mount and it did solve the problem of the two indexes by significantly lowering the dot relative to the bore and giving me the same sight plane index for both guns. The downside was now the weight of the C More and mount were no longer on the axis of the gun but just to the side. At 5+- oz it wasn't a deal killer but it was noticeable.

I have primarily switched to shooting 3 Gun and and the bulk of the 90 degree mount on the side of the gun did prove to be a concern from a holster choice standpoint. While it works well in a race holster it was harder to get the gun to fit into a drop leg or kydex holster.

To that point the mini Red Dot Sights did not have the field of view of a C more but I was interested in the Leupold Deltapoint. It almost matches the Cmore for FOV has an excellent triangle reticle and only ways 1 oz with the mount. I have since mounted the Leupold in an Arredondo mount and so far have been very happy with it. It affords a lower mount and index of the 90 degree mount without the off balance bulk.

Ultimately IMO there is no single best solution just the solution that you decide meets the balance of your needs in the best way.

Edited by smokshwn

I have the Cheely mount. Switching from iron sights to Open with the dot, the sideways mount gets the dot closer to the sight line of iron sights. At the end of the day though, dry fire repetition is the only true way to find the dot all the time.

At the end of the day though, dry fire repetition is the only true way to find the dot all the time.

People keep searching for that magic bullet that will give them an immediate 10% classification boost. In reality one simply has to practice with his weapon. In my case, the possible small improvement in parallax reduction was more than destroyed by the inconveniences of the 90 degrees mount. Let's face it - this sport is to a significant degree about the beauty of your equipment, much like bicycle race... so to me the side mounts create strong dissonance.

I am definitely a function over beauty type of shooter. It does not matter to me how my pistol looks if it wins matches, even though my pistol looks really good. :rolleyes: I never had a problem indexing my upright mount, but once during a stage I kept putting rounds into hardcover next to a target because of the parallax. I know that at short distances this should be compensated for, but if I do not have to stop and think about it I'm better off.

I think it will work better for you, but you need to decide how much the aesthetics matter.

Thanks guys! With all the information from this thread and all the other threads I have read on the subject. I decided the quinn II is the mount for me. I have shot both types of mounts, the upright on my open glock 34 and cheely on a para 9mm I built for a coworker at the indoor range/ retail store we work for.

The things that I like the most about quinn is the smaller variance in zero impact distances. With my upright mount on my glock zeroed @ 15 yards I was way off at varying distances. I think it will be an easier transition moving from my limited apeiro iron sights to the quinn dot.Most of all!!!! a higher degree of reliability. I will ALWAYS take function over bling ANY day.

Mat

I shot Production and Limited over the last couple of years and then got into open. Had it made with the Quinn. First guy in my club with the sidemount, got some weird looks but everyone wanted to see the sight picture. All remarked it does not block their vision, and wow the dot was low. One GM said if he started open now, he would use it, because the transition and index won't change between iron and scope. He qualified this and said, I just have too much time invested in the upright. That pretty much sums it up, I made the right choice because I have no time invested in an upright. I have never not found my dot with a "limited" index with my side mounted cmore.

Have fun

I shot Production and Limited over the last couple of years and then got into open. Had it made with the Quinn. First guy in my club with the sidemount, got some weird looks but everyone wanted to see the sight picture. All remarked it does not block their vision, and wow the dot was low. One GM said if he started open now, he would use it, because the transition and index won't change between iron and scope. He qualified this and said, I just have too much time invested in the upright. That pretty much sums it up, I made the right choice because I have no time invested in an upright. I have never not found my dot with a "limited" index with my side mounted cmore.

Have fun

exact same story here, just started to dabble in Open and two of our local resident Master class shooters suggested a side mount Cmore since it would be easier to find the dot. I regularly switch between Limited and Open so the side mount makes it real easy to find the dot. Focus for me is on Limited, Open is just for fun (for now). The dot is only a little higher than iron sights. The side mount does look a little funny and unbalanced though, but works great.

I think that is a grossly overstated concern, a solution in search of a problem. I have guns with both types, and can shoot both about equally good... or bad... :) after just a few draws. Therefore getting rid of side mounts.

I switch to a quinn II about a year ago after 10 years of using a regular c-more mount

the biggest pluses for me was I no longer have to remember sight height over bore on close tight targets or shooting over props and no-shoots.

and because the mount totally clears the ejection port, all ejection issues are gone, and it's easier to clean the gun.

I think it is a very valid concern. I shoot my open STI in USPSA pistol, but I shoot an edge in 3gun, and it was very hard for me to go back and forth. The Cheeley sideways mount fixed all of that. Does it look a little odd?, maybe, but who cares, it runs better, and I shoot better, and that's all that matters for me.

Another vote for side mount. I have shot both and definitely prefer the sideways mount. I have modified a Bladetech holster for 3 gun. I holds the gun very well with only a slightly longer draw time (I haven't really timed the difference).

Robert

• 3 weeks later...

Another vote for side mount. I have shot both and definitely prefer the sideways mount. I have modified a Bladetech holster for 3 gun. I holds the gun very well with only a slightly longer draw time (I haven't really timed the difference).

Robert

Has anyone experienced loosing zero on the c-more when tilted sideways? I think I had it twice now, not sure why.

Thanks,

Eli.