Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

magazine plug

Brian Payne

I run a Benelli M2 with a 9 rd tube. Some matches limit the tube to be able to hold only 8 rds. I have an 8 rd tube but much prefer the 9 rd as long as I can put a plug in the tube that rides inside the spring, I am not a fan of just blocking off a couple of inches of tube and compressing the spring. I hate having to switch the tube and clamp around, re-sight in for slugs etc..

What are some of you guys using that would cut the rounds down by 1, yet leave the reliability the same. I had thought of just cutting a plastic plug down to the right size, but I fear if it just rides inside the mag spring it may cause a malfunction.

Ideas or advice?

I run a Benelli M2 with a 9 rd tube. Some matches limit the tube to be able to hold only 8 rds. I have an 8 rd tube but much prefer the 9 rd as long as I can put a plug in the tube that rides inside the spring, I am not a fan of just blocking off a couple of inches of tube and compressing the spring. I hate having to switch the tube and clamp around, re-sight in for slugs etc..

What are some of you guys using that would cut the rounds down by 1, yet leave the reliability the same. I had thought of just cutting a plastic plug down to the right size, but I fear if it just rides inside the mag spring it may cause a malfunction.

Ideas or advice?

You have aready stated the answer. Plug it. I have been doing the same thing with no ill effects.

Wood dowel with a flat wahser to keep it centered and fixed against the tube cap.

Factory plastic unit cut to correct length.

I spin mine from aluminum bar stock.

All work well.

Patrick

Pat,

I had thought about something attached to the end cap that would just stick down inside the spring. Unsure how to accomplish this. How did you attach yours to the end cap to keep it from sliding up and down inside the spring?

Pat,

I had thought about something attached to the end cap that would just stick down inside the spring. Unsure how to accomplish this. How did you attach yours to the end cap to keep it from sliding up and down inside the spring?

Think of the plug as a capital letter "T" (wood dowel with a flat washing screwed to the end) Pull the tube cap, place the

narrow end the the "T" down through the spring with the (Flat washer) "T" resting on the spring. Stuff that back into the mag tube

and cap it.

The force of the spring pins the plug (washer)against the inside of the tube cap.

If you use a washer (or actual magazine plug, or aluminum rod spun on a lathe) with the correct diameter

if will self-center the plug within the spring.

Got it?

Patrick

I have some slight thread drift here: I know USPSA and IMA limit non-open to 9 rounds total in the gun but say nothing about capacity. Are there matches where tube capacity is restricted?

Later,

Chuck

PS: I understand the risks of having more capacity than allowed available ;)

Chuck S

That is why I posted this question. Most matches allow for a total of 9 rds (loaded start) and 8 rounds (unloaded start) in the gun, unless you are in the open division. After the start signal you can load as you wish.

Ft. Benning 3-gun, BRM3G and I am sure some others that I don't go to, stipulate that your shotgun can not hold more than 8 rds in the tube at any time.

I have no problem with the rule at all. In fact, I kind of enjoy the different matches just for that reason. I just don't like to switch a lot of the equipment around if I can help it. That is why I was looking for some different ideas for a plug.

Chuck S

That is why I posted this question. Most matches allow for a total of 9 rds (loaded start) and 8 rounds (unloaded start) in the gun, unless you are in the open division. After the start signal you can load as you wish.

Ft. Benning 3-gun, BRM3G and I am sure some others that I don't go to, stipulate that your shotgun can not hold more than 8 rds in the tube at any time.

I have no problem with the rule at all. In fact, I kind of enjoy the different matches just for that reason. I just don't like to switch a lot of the equipment around if I can help it. That is why I was looking for some different ideas for a plug.

I'm watching this as well. Thought I decided to cut a 28" 930 to 24 with a Nordic +5 for a total of 9+1 but now I am thinking just cut it to 22, add a +4 for 8+1 total and let it ride.

My tube holds 10... I have a couple long plugs to use at different clubs.

How I make mine is:

Get some wood dowel.

Remove the cap and spring. Load the desired number of shells in the tube, then drop the dowel down in the front end of the tubeto get the desired length. (make is a little shorter for safe measure)

I take an empty shotgun shell and cut off the hull so only about a 1/2" of plastic is left.

Then I wrap electrical tape around the very end of the dowel till it's the same size as the inside of the shell.

Push it inside the shell. On some of them I used a little silicone adhesive to glue it all in place. Round the other end a little and you're ready to go.

I'm thinking of making some reeeally long ones for hunting purposes.

Edited by cas

I have a 24" M2 with a Nordic + 6, which brings it close to flush with the barrel. I just used the factory Benelli plug that came with the gun. It's nice & visible through the hole in the cap if there is any question of capacity. Makes it 8+1 with the plug, 9+1 without or 9+1+1 with one on the lifter.

Edited by prreed10

For my 24" Benelli Nova with a Nordic +5 tube(9 in the tube) I used a plastic shotgun plug that I cut and rounded to my desired length. I took the mag spring and bent the end (just made a tighter wrap with the last half coil) so that there was no way that the large end of the plug could get into the center of the spring and bind up. This has been working for me and only cost a few dollars.

Hurley

Hurley, I've done something sorta similar. I bent the last 1/4 inch of my spring so that it points inward toward the center of the spring coils, then drilled a small hole in the side of the plug at the very end to accept the last 1/4 inch of the spring. That keeps it in place similar to tightening up the last coil.

-N

Pat,

Think of the plug as a capital letter "T" (wood dowel with a flat washing screwed to the end) Pull the tube cap, place the

narrow end the the "T" down through the spring with the (Flat washer) "T" resting on the spring. Stuff that back into the mag tube

and cap it.

The force of the spring pins the plug (washer)against the inside of the tube cap.

If you use a washer (or actual magazine plug, or aluminum rod spun on a lathe) with the correct diameter

if will self-center the plug within the spring.

Got it?

Patrick

This is a great idea. Simplicity at its best.

• 2 weeks later...