Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

930 22" or 24"?

Hey everyone, first post and looking for your input on building a 930 for 3 gun stock classes please.

After much reading, I have decided to buy a 930 28" and have the barrel cut, threaded, Nordic extension added and forcing cone worked.

I have to decide on either a 22" with +4 or 24" with +5. I don't want the tube longer than my barrel.

Will a +4 be flush with a 22" barrel?

I'm pretty sure the +5 would be more or less even with a 24".

Is the maximum barrel length of 22" not enforced anymore?

I know I can plug a +5 to remain in stock classes and that Benny Hill is using 24's.

If it were you, what setup would you build?

I'm buying a 930 today and leaning towards doing a 24 with +5 unless anyone can tell me I'm heading in the wrong direction or if I'm missing something.

Thanks in advance!

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You can cut the barrel to 22". I've personally cut 2 of them to that length. Both guns now have 8+1 capacity.

I have one also. I put on the +5 Nordic and it sticks out a bit. But it looks cool. ;)

ETA: Here is a pic of the end of my 930. The barrel length is about 22.25" I got one of those $5.00 extended chokes from Mossberg. The tube is a Nordic +5. It loads 8 real easy and 9 is not bad either.

post-400-032021400 1301698526_thumb.jpg

Edited by ChuckS

Thanks for the replys everyone, I haven't been able to find a 28" Waterfowl model in stock anywhere which is now the hold up so if anyone has any leads on one available for a good price I am all ears.

Thanks!

Here ya go: http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/products_id/14639

I hope deltabravo got the last one because that link shows them as out of stock.

Thanks for the replys everyone, I haven't been able to find a 28" Waterfowl model in stock anywhere which is now the hold up so if anyone has any leads on one available for a good price I am all ears.

Thanks!

Here ya go:

I hope deltabravo got the last one because that link shows them as out of stock.

I just tried to order one but like you said, they are sold out.

Let me be more specific.... I clicked the link, saw they were in stock, called my FFL to line up the transfer, clicked back to order and they were sold out lol Oh well, that's how it goes sometimes........

Edited by deltabravo555

Why can't you cut it where you want it, and if it is between ribs, cut the rib back to the next bridge, and mount the sight there. You might have 1/2" of barrel without rib on it at the muzzle. This is how the Remington 1100 Comp. Master is set up.

Thanks!

Here ya go:

Let me be more specific.... I clicked the link, saw they were in stock, called my FFL to line up the transfer, clicked back to order and they were sold out lol Oh well, that's how it goes sometimes........

back in stock this morning...

Thanks!

Here ya go:

back in stock this morning...

I'm pretty sure I have one set aside for me at a different store and will be picking it up Thursday. If it falls through I will try ordering from Buds.

Thanks again guys, I will add pics and progress reports once I get the weapon and start my simple build if anyone is interested.

Hoping to send the barrel out to get cut Thursday or Friday.

You can cut it anywhere you want, but if cut at bridges, it looks much cleaner w/o a stub sticking out.

Benny,

The 2 that I cut, were at the rib support posts. The look just like the factory configuration now. The rib ends at the post, and the barrel 1/8" longer.

One of the guns was used at a Redneck Tactical class over the weekend. Check with Kurt.

It is possible that the barrels you are seeing my have different support spacing.

Edited by Dan Sierpina

If anyone has a 22" with +4 Nordic setup can you please post a pic of it? Thanks.

I only have a +5 but this photo will give you an idea where the +4 tube will end. (vertical red line)

post-400-029444900 1302123862_thumb.jpg

Hope this helps,

Chuck

If anyone has a 22" with +4 Nordic setup can you please post a pic of it? Thanks.

Here you go, 22" with a Nordic +4. The tube ends just before the end of the barrel. I really like this length. I'm still a noob but it seems very handy to me. I can transition from target to target very quickly, and the muzzle rise isn't bad at all. I need a new clamp, the Choate doesn't hold under recoil.

IMG_1627.jpg

Edited by bkoenig

Thanks guys!

I'm not wanting to deal with screwing with the +5 tube capacity and switching a plug in and out for the apparently fairly standard 8+1 max capacity rule as it just sounds like a recipe for malfunctions or losing / forgetting parts at a match.

I think I will go the 22 / +4 route and if I get more serious about all this I will adapt accordingly.

Getting the gun tomorrow, will add pics.

So I finally have a 28" waterfowl. Decided to do the 22" and went to order the Nordic +4 but it's now out of stock.

Talking with a buddy of mine tonight who also has a 28 cut to a 24 with a +5 Chaote he says his +5 sticks out past his barrel by a shell length, which I don't want.

Hmmm. We took measurements and his barrel was indeed cut at the post just behind the ports making it a 24 and his Chaote + 5 is roughly 14" long making it longer than his barrel when installed.

So either the Chaote +5 is longer than a Nordic +5 or people running a Nordic +4 that's equal length of their barrel have 24" barrels not 22" barrels. Confused yet? I am. Lol Any ideas?