Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Developing my own style...

Ron Ankeny

Three years of relentless practice, over 130 classifiers shot, 5 division Master and then I realized I don't know jack about my own shooting style.

I have been doing a lot of work in the last few weeks and things are starting to come together. Last night my friend Sam nailed it when he told me, "You are finally developing your own style based upon what works for you." I am so stoked words can't describe my new found enthusiasm.

OTOH, it amazes me that I could get as far as I am today and still not really "know" myself. I have expended a tremendous amount of energy and resources developing technique, but I have never really seen what has been right in front of me all along.

I am fairly new to the IDPA/USPSA competition (one year) and I have found that taping my matches has shown me where to focus during the next practice/match session. Constructive comments on performance by fellow shooters has also helped. I seem to understand my "partially developed" shooting style through these two items.

I have seemed to progress over the past year by reviewing the tapes and understanding what I need to work on. I started as a L10 at 18%, ended last year as Lim at 49%, and shot my first Open classifier yesterday at what I am guessing is about a 66%. :)

Ron,

I am a Master Open shooter and recently took a class with TJ. I have been shooting for well over 10 years and had developed my own style. TJ recommended that I change a few of my habits to improve my shooting. Many of his observations and recommendations were beneficial but one in specific was not. When shooting in general, but more particularly when shooting on the move, I shoot with bent elbows. I am nowhere near fully extended and the gun is much closer to my face. TJ was constantly yelling for me to extend my arms while moving but I was simply not as stable and my hits were suffering. I paid the money to have a Pro teach me so I felt that I needed to listen to his recommendations. More recently I saw a few video tips from Saul Kirsch where he directly contradicts TJ and agrees with me. I reverted back to "my style" and immediately improved my hits. You should always keep an open mind but you ultimately have to stick with what works for you. What works best for others may not work best for you.

Have the confidence to be different!

Leo

I have expended a tremendous amount of energy and resources developing technique, but I have never really seen what has been right in front of me all along.

[ Fade into zen garden, sound of water, smell of Jasmine ]

Yes grasshopper, to see what is in front of you, you must first see everything else.

[ /Fade out zen garden, sound of water, smell of Jasmine ]

This is not uncommon in martial studies. You spend 3 to 4 years getting your black belt and then you find out that it only means that you have some skills necessary to begin the real learning.

It's like you're so happy that you've stacked up a huge pile of rocks and then you realize that you have to build something out of it.

Congratulations! ... most people don't make it this far.

Confusion is good. It forces one to think :wacko: .

Ron, interesting story ! It proves what I have been taught and am teaching others: make use of the experience of others to rapidly develop a good basic style, and then work your way from there to your own style.

Funny though that you get so far (GM) without having *really* thought about your own style.

But then again, I think short_round hit the nail on the head !

Rockwell:

Of course you know those accomplishments were not intended to be a "brag". My point is, just when I thought I had arrived at a destination, I discovered it was only a bend in the road. I am really looking forward to the rest of the journey.

Ron,

Your post REALLy got me into some deep thought about my own journey as well as trying to define what my own style is. I have never looked at it that way before. If one were to ask me what my style is I would not have any idea. My style will change as each stage changes, I think.

I'm gonna have to think about this for awhile.

:P:P

Ron is very tall. About 6'-4", I would guess. He has been watching other people blast through courses like a track star and figured he could never move like that. But, he covers more ground in a single smooth step than some guys cover in two short quick ones. He has discovered that he has a great strength in his ability to cover the right amount of ground with light quick steps that allow him to always be shooting or ready to shoot. He is naturally very light on this feet. No bobbles, no haste. Just efficiency. No more worrying about how other people play the game. Now he plays his game. Pretty cool. B) I hope I get caught up in his tailwind, this man is going places!

I remember threads on this forum where people bemoaned the fact that certain stages weren't right for them. "I'm too short, I'm too tall, I'm too old." None of that is true if you shoot the stage your way.

My point is, just when I thought I had arrived at a destination, I discovered it was only a bend in the road. I am really looking forward to the rest of the journey.
That's good stuff.

You die a little with each conclusion.

be