Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

EGW 9mm Undersize Die??

chefjay

I bought a EGW u die for 9mm...With the die properly installed it resizes great but the problem I am having is that when the round goes into the seating station and the bullet is seated the round comes out with a visable bulge around the base of the bullet uo until the top of the case and of course this keeps the round from chambering in the gun...Does anyone have any input on this problem????

Thanks

sounds like a problem with the seating die. What seating die are you using?

I had the exact same problem with a Dillon die that has the reverseible insert for flat point and round nose bullets. If you have the wrong end, it will cause the problem you are having. It makes teh bullet go in sideways kinda and bulge.

I'm not quite sure why you got the u die, I haven't seen any problems with 9mm brass, the u die for the 40 is intended for the Glock brass problem that doesn't exist in 9mm. I have certainly seen some bulges in some cartridges over the years, but it's never been anything more than just a cosmetic problem, hasn't interfered with functioning at all.

Your bullets are seating crooked. You could try belling a bit more to help them sit square on the upstroke.

The Redding Competition Seater Die is the sure fire solution though. Not cheap, but worth every penny. You won't believe the difference in consistency.

You did not say if the bulge is on one side of the case only, or all the way round.

If one side, it is likely a problem with getting the bullets started on center.

If all the way round, a slight amount is normal with the u die, known as the coke bottle effect.

A larger circumferal bulge that will stop the round from chambering, might be caused by a heavy bullet seated too deep.

What kind of brass, bullets, are you using, and what is the OAL?

• 16 years later...
56 minutes ago, 99mpower said:

probably solved, but people continue to have issues with the U die, as they use it to try and fix something thats not there. The solution is rollsizing, not undersizing the brass.

For my wheel gun the undersized dies seem to stop the bullets from walking out of the brass.

I think roll sizing would be great but I don't personally know anyone who has needed to.

10 minutes ago, IHAVEGAS said:

For my wheel gun the undersized dies seem to stop the bullets from walking out of the brass.

I think roll sizing would be great but I don't personally know anyone who has needed to.

rollsizing is VERY big in 40cal, due to the "glock bulge" www.rollsizer.com is the big commercial rollsizer I use, and after using it on 9, 40, 45, 223, and 308, rollsizing makes life so much easier. No longer do u "need" an undersize die, because the base is back to being correct, the press doesnt have to work so hard to size, and everything runs smoother. Rollsizing has almost made, chamber checking, obsolete. I still chamber check everything in hundos, but im OCD about that crap.

10 minutes ago, 99mpower said:

rollsizing is VERY big in 40cal, due to the "glock bulge" www.rollsizer.com is the big commercial rollsizer I use, and after using it on 9, 40, 45, 223, and 308, rollsizing makes life so much easier. No longer do u "need" an undersize die, because the base is back to being correct, the press doesnt have to work so hard to size, and everything runs smoother. Rollsizing has almost made, chamber checking, obsolete. I still chamber check everything in hundos, but im OCD about that crap.

Agreed 

The more a case is reloaded the harder the brass becomes and it springs back more after resizing.

The Lee and EGW undersize dies will size the case .002 to .003 smaller in diameter and reduce brass spring back and increase bullet grip.

Below is a 9mm cartridge that was resized with a Lee undersize die and the case is wasp waisted. This will increase bullet grip on range pickup brass and prevent bullet setback.

MfcwIQB.jpg

Below the new Redding pistol dies now have a Lyman type "M" expanders that will aid in straight inline seating and prevents the bullet from tipping during seating.

WS3Kba4.jpg

Qeoxsd7.jpg

vwgkeH3.jpg

The above message was brought to you by "Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Pistol Brass" 😉

Edited by bigedp51