Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Is USPSA about accuracy?

Coach

Yes, USPSA is about accuracy..... and speed....... and power.

From my point of view Power is a joke if an A hit is scored the same for both Major and Minor classes. As far as accuracy goes it's rather weak. It's about how fast you can sling shots and complete the COF. Also if one wants to go to a big match they better pack a lawyer too.

Hello, Lil' Miss Sunshine!

You really don't like USPSA very much, do you? Is there anything about it with which you are satisfied?

No its some of the silly things that USPSA does that bothers me. Especially a minior A zone hit is scored the same as a major A zone hit.

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

From my point of view Power is a joke if an A hit is scored the same for both Major and Minor classes. As far as accuracy goes it's rather weak. It's about how fast you can sling shots and complete the COF. Also if one wants to go to a big match they better pack a lawyer too.

You really don't like USPSA very much, do you? Is there anything about it with which you are satisfied?

No its some of the silly things that USPSA does that bothers me. Especially a minior A zone hit is scored the same as a major A zone hit.

So is it just as silly that all steel that gets knocked is scored as an A hit, 5 points? You are over thinking this issue, it's a sport that has rules, some of them are a little wierd but they are what they are.

So is it just as silly that all steel that gets knocked is scored as an A hit, 5 points? You are over thinking this issue, it's a sport that has rules, some of them are a little wierd but they are what they are.

Funny. I question a rule not a person and the post gets pulled. Yet the above quote "Hello, Lil' Miss Sunshine!" which was not meant in a good way is just fine.

Now as far as the value of an A zone hit, the equating of a minor caliber as being equal to a major caliber is unfair to those who choose to shoot major. Minor should always be scored less than the same Major hit.

Funny. I question a rule not a person and the post gets pulled. Yet the above quote "Hello, Lil' Miss Sunshine!" which was not meant in a good way is just fine.

Now as far as the value of an A zone hit, the equating of a minor caliber as being equal to a major caliber is unfair to those who choose to shoot major. Minor should always be scored less than the same Major hit.

1. Havn't seen a post pulled - so to that - I'm lost as to the comment. All I can say is the "Hello" comment just pointed out the very negative opinion you have of USPSA. Lest your posts seem to illustrate that. I can't speak for the poster of it - but the comment was more pointing out your negative feelings toward USPSA.

2. I couldn't disagree with you more on the value of an A zone hit. The A zone is a "perfect" hit, and should be the same value on every course for every platform. The power designation is more toward the controllability of the weapon depending on how much recoil it generates and how it affects your accuracy. Minor PF has a trade off on less than accurate shooting that major pf doesn't. It's a huge advantage as it is. Increasing the "perfect" score for one platform vs. another will change the balance to the point where it will make minor useless for anything other than production. Each course of fire must be the same value for every competitor that shoots it and you must allow them to choose their platform within the rules. What you are suggesting is that it would be a different course of fire (150 pts available for major vs. 130 pts available for minor) and that just won't fly.

What is your reasoning behind that opinion? How would you do it if you were in charge?

Your post was pulled due to the specific reasons that were explained to you in a PM. If you have issues with that, PM Flexmoney or Brian. We do not discuss Moderator actions on the open Forum.

Thank you

I'm new to the game, and this forum, but my observation goes something like this:

I see USPSA like a car battery, it has a positive and negative. The positive is accuracy, and speed is the negative, and each one depend on one another to function. With only one, the battery is useless.

IMHO Yes accuracy counts but not as much as speed. That is why a less accurate but quicker major shooter has the advantage. Extra point for B&C does add up. Just look at the match scoring.

I think that USPSA scoring is fairly well balanced. I slightly prefer the points down (time added) system of IDPA but both work well and in reality the same good shooters still win or so it seems. What I don't care for as much is the 2 hits to netralize a target anywhere on paper scoring. That seems not to count accuracy enough. But thats just my opinion I shoot all three scoring systems at the various matches I go to. When in Rome.

Pat

There is a problem with time plus scoring. If one stage in the match is a very technical stage that a large percentage of shooters have very high times on, one shooter could ace it and have a major advantage over the balance of the stages. This is more noticeable in multi-gun where a single stage, usually the long range rifle, has a lot of people timeout, but one or two people ace it. They then have a lot of time to 'spend' on the rest.

The solution is to use the time to determine order of finish and then convert to points.Each stage being worth 100 points or possible 125 and 150 for multigun stages. This eliminates the advantage gained or lost from one stage that unbalances a match.

In an IDPA match where all the stages are essentially the same round count and have a fairly close time to each other Time+ can work, but that it still has an effect.

In an IDPA match where all the stages are essentially the same round count and have a fairly close time to each other Time+ can work, but that it still has an effect.

The problem happens most notably in IDPA on low/no light stages.

Don't understand Jim. How can I convert TIME to POINTS? What happens to the points I actually shot?

Explain more please, if you will. Thanks.

Points/Time= Hit Factor Match winners, division winner, classifiers, etc are all based on Hit Factor in USPSA. Time is very important for example a 100 point possible stage:

1st Shooter: 98 points in 20.10 seconds. HF of 4.875 (Accurate)

2nd Shooter: 68 points in 14.75 seconds. HF of 4.610 (Fast)

3rd Shooter: 85 points in 17.10 seconds. HF of 4.970 (Balance) Winner

This is just an example, USPSA requires a balance. You need to find a balance if you want to win the game. Yes I said "game" and a fun game at that! Hope this helps.

• 8 months later...

I think it really depends on the discipline. Shooting a precision rifle is different than shooting USPSA pistol and takes a completely different knowledge base. Shooting pistols for bullseye competition is much harder for me than shooting High Power service rifle. Likely due to the bias of the type of shooting I have been doing for most of my career where I shoot about 200% more rifle rounds than pistol rounds. Each shooting discipline takes a different mind set and different technique.

I get asked by non-gunners all the time why I don't apply for top shot... I always tell them that I'm a very specialized shooter doing very specialized things with very specialized guns. (particularly in the case of the open gun)

Not only that, but I have very little use for reality show politics and no desire to do harm to another competitor.

Now, about accuracy and speed: Take a very fast shooter and a very slow shooter and yes, the faster shooter can win sloppily.

Take 2 (or 16) very fast shooters and points become very very important.

The conversation I heard on super squads was always about points down.

More to the point, take 2 very slow shooters and once again accuracy gets real important...

I guess my point is, accuracy determines the winner when everybody is as good as everybody else.

It's one of the reasons that local hot dogs sometimes struggle a bigger matches. Everybody's as fast as they are, and some are more accurate.