Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Legal to paint the inside of the magwell?

bobmysterious

This may come as a shock to some of you guys on the forums, but there are lots of RO's and match directors who don't spend their free time searching the web for rules updates.

:surprise:

Say it ain't so!

**I heard from some folks that they received an email alerting them of the recent rulings published last week. Even though USPSA has my email address in my profile, I didn't.

• Replies 243
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Maybe I take my SC role too seriously, but as updates come out, I send that information to each of the MD's in the Section. I see that as my job.

Yes, it is the shooter's responsibility - aren't RO's shooters as well?

NROI makes changes as approved by the BOD. Those AD's need to make sure their SC's are aware, and they in turn to the MD's at the clubs, from the MD's to the RO's. You don't need a computer for that, a simple telephone call will do.

Yup, only now hearing about it as of Sundays match from another RO and yes, we are RO's ourselves, have been for awhile. If it was really that important, you would think that it would actually be sent out to us RO's/shooter's/whatever. If it's not in the rulebook, how the hell are you going to say someone should know about it? If it was that important, there would be an amendment and updates that were sent out. We're not geeky enough shooters to watch and track these things and I would bet most of us don't go on this forum or any forum and if we do don't with any regularity. We're happy to follow the rules, you just have to put them somewhere like, say, the rulebook. Then again who would have thought something like that would have such a decision attached to it. That's like saying someone's put into Open because they used a magazine they put in thier front pocket or in front of thier pants to load their gun with at the start of a stage.

That's like saying someone's put into Open because they used a magazine they put in thier front pocket or in front of thier pants to load their gun with at the start of a stage.

That issue was taken care of. You can read about it here: http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=135598&view=findpost&p=1531455

Thanks for the link. This was also relayed to me this last weekend which is why I mentioned it. All I can think of is is USPSA lossing it's mind? Even though that turned out fine, that's just crazy. I guess it's just poor wording that will get corrected down the road with an amendment in the intrim which is kinda what this is but not quite the same, just as crazy though.

Edited by EmanP

Maybe I take my SC role too seriously, but as updates come out, I send that information to each of the MD's in the Section. I see that as my job.

Yes, it is the shooter's responsibility - aren't RO's shooters as well?

NROI makes changes as approved by the BOD. Those AD's need to make sure their SC's are aware, and they in turn to the MD's at the clubs, from the MD's to the RO's. You don't need a computer for that, a simple telephone call will do.

Yup, only now hearing about it as of Sundays match from another RO and yes, we are RO's ourselves, have been for awhile. If it was really that important, you would think that it would actually be sent out to us RO's/shooter's/whatever. If it's not in the rulebook, how the hell are you going to say someone should know about it? If it was that important, there would be an amendment and updates that were sent out. We're not geeky enough shooters to watch and track these things and I would bet most of us don't go on this forum or any forum and if we do don't with any regularity. We're happy to follow the rules, you just have to put them somewhere like, say, the rulebook. Then again who would have thought something like that would have such a decision attached to it. That's like saying someone's put into Open because they used a magazine they put in thier front pocket or in front of thier pants to load their gun with at the start of a stage.

Ask your AD and SC about it and let us know what they had to say.

The question is how is it that he would be put into Open when they are shooing a different match right now? After they're done the stages will be redone for us Production types.

6.2.5.1 However, if a competitor fails to satisfy the equipment or other

requirements of a declared Division during a course of fire, the

competitor will be placed in Open Division, if available, otherwise

the competitor will shoot the match for no score.

or they'll just do whatever they want. at this year's single stack nationals they created an open division, and a few years ago at the production/limited nationals they moved at least one person to limited.

Really?...They pick and chose which rules they follow at the NATIONALS???

I know who they are Chuck, but some act like everyone should know everything simply because they enjoy the sport which is simply not true. There are some that regularly visit these forums and keep track of all this stuff, but there are many many more that do not and it simply doesn't matter to them. They are here to do something that they find enjoyment in, not be some super user. Sounds like an elitist tone when someone suggests that it's thier fault for not knowing a change that was made 5 months ago and tells them to consult someone that they might not know or care anything about. We are here to have FUN, not to be talked down to simply because one doesn't keep up with the latest and the greatest. 'Can I put griptape on my slide?' 'What? That was like 2 years ago and you don't know? Why don't you go ask the section coordinator and see what he thinks about that.' It's just rude.

Personally I feel as though NROI rulings should be sent out via snail mail to all RO/CRO for the aforementioned reasons.

Yeah, I agree.

Unfortunately, 11.8.3 in rulebook tends to put tho onus on Match Officials to be checking for updates.

Sorry to wake up a sleeping thread but I and a few friends just found out about this and we're leaving for Nationals in 2 days.

This rule has been out since the beginning of April 2011. Here we are in mid-September and you are just hearing about it? Not a single MD or RO at any local match you shoot said one word? You guys must be the only few production shooters in your Area.

I am amazed that in 5 1/2 months, not one mention was made to your friend at any local match.

This may come as a shock to some of you guys on the forums, but there are lots of RO's and match directors who don't spend their free time searching the web for rules updates.

It is the shooters responsibility to know the rules, but IMO, NROI could do a better job of keeping the members informed. I heard an argument on another thread that we have to keep printing paper rulebooks becuase not everyone has a computer. I'm not sure I agree with this argument, but the only place I know that NROI rulings are published is online.

Darn. Not only am I responsible for knowing every single law and ordnance in the Sate of Texas but also New Mexico,Arkansas,Tennessee and Kentucky as I travel through those states along with every single Federal law,rule or whatever I now have to memorize another set of rules. I would say your statement is unrealistic.

There is an arms race even with a small book of regs. that are always in flux. Seems it's time for a complete reconsideration and rewrite.

I think that most production shooters are aware of the refinishing for cosmetic purposes only rule. (When I heard that rule, refinishing meant rebluing the gun or having it hard chromed.) I don't think that it is readily apparent that putting a couple of paint marks in the magwell constitutes as refinishing.

Or taken from the other perspective, the concept of anything not explicitly allowed in the Appendix or in a ruling is considered prohibited. If one looks closely, the current printing of the rulebook omits being allowed to apply sight black in production. Additionally the NROI ruling about paint in the magwell also prohibits using paint to help align the sights.

Makes one wonder if anybody will be bumped to open for applying sight black.

(As an FYI: When I asked JA for his opinion a few months ago about sight black in production when the paint in magwell controversy was happening, his opinion was "sight black is allowed." )

According to the RO, it was the front corner of my mag pouch. After feeling me up like the TSA they kicked me to open. Y'all got a look at it, and you probably know my opinion on the situation. I'll be diplomatic and just say that I disagree. On the upside though, I won open! It was really cool meeting y'all too, and I'll be back next year to defend my title.

scorelw.jpg

According to the RO, it was the front corner of my mag pouch. After feeling me up like the TSA they kicked me to open. Y'all got a look at it, and you probably know my opinion on the situation. I'll be diplomatic and just say that I disagree. On the upside though, I won open! It was really cool meeting y'all too, and I'll be back next year to defend my title.

I don't think I got a look at it.

What are you referring to? Was your mag pouch (with paint) posted here?

You got bumped because your mag pouch had paint in it?