Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

1911 magwell

dskinsler83

I shoot a taurus 1911 in single stack and CDP in idpa, my recomendation for a magwell would be techwell usa (TGO model). Just adding the magwell will help with your reloads dramatically. And for me it has a better feel with it on as well.

Don't like the techwells

If your looking at a SA model have you looked at the Techwell carry model? Its basically the same dimensions on the outside but a better design in my opinion. What don't you like about TechWells?

I ran a slimline S&A for a while, it's the same opening and the exact same as the standard one, works great, just slim and looks better with slim grips.. For weight reasons and because I decided to go to standard width grips I went with a Techwell SP.

I wasn't very kind or patient in the fitting of mine, I beat the crap out of it with a rubber mallet to get it flush with the bottom of my gun and then used a pair of channel-locks to get it "just so" ;)... try as I did to ruin it, it's amazing what a little elbow grease, some 600 grit and a bluing pen will fix... it's actually not in that bad of shape, PM if you want it, I'll probably never use it again and I'll give it to you cheap.

I like the grips I have on my gun already don't wanna change them plus it's cheaper lol

Doesn't take much to modify your grips to take a techwell. Once that is done the techwell is cheaper than the SA as you don't have to buy additional grips. On the plus side it allows you to use a plastic MSH if you having trouble making weight. Just an idea cool.gif

Check out the Dawson Precision Ice magwell, I have one on my ESP gun and CDP gun in IDPA. I highly recommend them.

+1

Fits the IDPA box too. I like the no-gap version but you have to modify or buy new basepads.

+2 ICE is nice. Have the gap model and really like it.

I'm not a fan of giant magwells on a 1911. I currently have a Wilson Combat on one, and the SA with the arched mainspring housing on the other. The SA isn't the nicest piece, fit and finish wise, but it gets the job done. I've bought a Techwell Carry that I'm going to try and put on the 9mm I'm building, but I'm going to have to modify the grips beause I don't like the techwell grips.

Check out the Dawson Precision Ice magwell, I have one on my ESP gun and CDP gun in IDPA. I highly recommend them.

Also highly recommend. Have the no-gap version on my Valors. Only mod was swapping out the MSH and filing the magwell opening a bit.

Edited by Lewiston

So do any magwells not require any mods? And are Single Stack legal?

There are numerous options that require only pushing out the mainspring housing pin or removing grips. Some need a little tweaking, but most don't.