Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Increase in shooters?

Just curious if other folks have had larger than usual turnouts at matches recently, and if so why?

We had like 10 new shooters at our USPSA match today, way more than normal. Local match last weekend had 101 shooters, more than normal. And two rifle matches the last two weekends had a lot more than normal shooters. Just a blip on the radar or a trend others have seen around the country?

If it's a trend what' causing it? My wife thought it might be Top Shot, but I dunno.

It could be quite a few factors. I know from multiple magazine articles, FFL/gunsmith/arms dealers visits that everyone went out and bought guns when Obama was elected, a huge spike in people carrying firearms, and maybe wanting to learn how to shoot them or compete with them.

Could be that it's a "cheap" afternoon for those just looking for fun: ~$20ish match fee, 100 rounds, and a whole day of shooting fun for about what a movie and popcorn would run. Now don't get me wrong it can be an expensive sport, but it CAN be done cheaply (at least from what I'm told).

Exposure. The sport is growing, not just with Top Shot but other markets. New clubs popping up, more events, word of mouth, etc.

Could be a lot of things. Will be interesting to see if other local clubs see a surge now that winter is almost over and shooting season is starting (for those of us up north, anyways).

My club had to turn down alot of regulars because so many new guys had signed up we were over full capacity. For a steel challenge match in the mud no less. First match when it warms up is usually a little more full. Kinda like jan 1st at a health club....lol

So far this year matches have seen 10-20 more shooters than last year. I think alot of if has to do with that there have been alot of guns sold in the last 2 years, and at the same time the amount of tv exposure with Top Shot, 3g Nation, Wednesday Night at the Range people are seeing more things that they can go and get involved in.

At the sametime there is alot more exposure just with youtube and the internet, local shooters video taping and putting on youtube and posting on gun forums gun owners are seeing "regular" people out there shooting these sports and see that they can do it as well.

Also look at the Social Media Sites, the facebook pages and videos on there.

I know that local clubs here in Indiana have all taken advantage of FB and the www.ingunowners.com forum under shooting sports to list upcoming matches and post video and commentary on the matches and lots of new shooters are seeing things there.

Yesterday at Silver Creeks monthly match there were 70 shooters, last year they averaged around 40-50 most months

Last week South Central had 55 in crappy weather

Indiana Section set up a table at the Indy 1500 gun show in Jan, set up the USPSA Video, ran videos from local matches and local shooters and had Front Sight to pass out and USPSA Flyers (everything can be had from USPSA, contact Kim)

We had a 32inch tv running the USPSA video right out front and had at times 20-30 people watching and asking where around here do you shoot this stuff, I have seen this on tv and just don't know where to go

The tables were $190 for 3 days.

We set up examples of our division style guns for display, and we have started to see some turn of from it

Team up with you local gun stores, get flyers, maybe even ask to set up on a Saturday a table to talk to people.

its because we're all so friendly with new shooters!how many people have you met at the range, told about shooting sports, and invited out? I even often to lend gear if I know the person well.

I had one first time shooter and one second time shooter at the match in York sunday in the mud... Even though my gun broke and made me look like a rookie, we all had fun and would be back!

The Last 8 months at the range i used to shoot at has seen an astounding number of new shooters (IDPA)come out, it used to be just 10 to 15 shooters every match. Then we had a new match director take over now he is having to put a limit of 80 shooters on the local matches. Ever since he took over it has exploded with new shooters. If there was a place to vote for the match director of the year, he deserves it hands down. And it does not seem to matter what the weather is out they still see that many shooters in freezing temps.

Edited by calvary45

YES! We are a small club in Mariposa, CA and we have seen a 30% - 40% increase in shooters. Surprisingly, a large percentage of the new shooters are juniors and ladies. At first, I thought it was because I appear to be such a great father figure and, smell good. However, my bubble burst when the juniors said it was their fathers bringing them, and not because of me, and the ladies stated most emphatically that it was their husbands and boyfriends who talked them into going with them and it wasn't because I smelled good. Okay, I'll get over it, but for whatever the reason, it's great to see such an increase.