Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

9mm & 45acp lead cast help please

Hey guys,

I hope this is posted in the correct place. Im not a noob to reloading, but I am a noob to reloading cast bullets. I just got in a case of 9mm 145gr and 230gr 45acp to try. I have read and read and read. The more I read the more confused I get. I normally use titegroup for both 9mm and 45acp. My understanding is that is a big no no due to smoke, hotter load, etc... I was going to try clays and then I read that it is a faster powder also. Was going to try Solo 1000 and Powder Valley is out of stock. Could someone guide me to what powder I could use with the least amount of problems in 9 and 45. I have read alot about WST, but then somewhere I read that it gets temp sensitive and slows down when it heats up in summer. I shoot all year around and would rather not have that problem at competitions. I am lost to say the least. Hopefully you guys can direct me in the correct direction. Is there any other important things I need to know about shooting lead or reloading lead for that matter. Halfway understand leading, but not completely. Thanks for the help.

Clays is a very popular powder for the .45 230 grain loads, but I haven't heard it used much in 9mm.

Tite Group works for the 9mm. Dunno about in 45acp.

Shooting lead, there's more smoke, more cleanup afterwards, more lead exposure, but there are safe loads, both in loading manuals and on the reloading forums here, for both calibers. A search will save you rummaging through the threads (unless you like turning up old gems by doing so). If you don't mind the smoke and more lead exposure, search on! :cheers:

I use Solo 1000 for 9mm. I like a fast powder for the soft feel. BUT, shooting a fast powder will possibly cause more issues with leading. You will not want to buy too much powder before testing it out.

The easy answers for lead is

1) Unique. It's about the perfect powder for lead. It's also relatively slow and going to feel very different then a faster powder.

2) WSF. Another good lead powder. Meter better then Unique. Very similiar to Unique in speed.

3) WST. Faster version of WSF. Data for 9mm is tougher to find. I have seen it posted (pdf of the manual).

If I didn't have a lot of Solo 1000 I would try WST next.

Would WST work well in 45acp also? I actually have some unique and universal clays on hand. Im about to make a primer order and wanted to grab some more powder to help with the hazmat charge. I was going to grab some more universal clays, or is it just clays? But then I read about the WST, only concern with it was what I had read with temp sensitive. I am using a dillon 550b so also would like something that meters well in it. As of now Im thinking that the WST seems to be a favorite for hard cast. I've reloaded for years and now I feel like Im going back to square 1 by changing over to lead. As of now I will be shooting this out of a G34 in the future possibly a sti eagle.

I have used Green dot,,,

4.2 Gr,,, for .45 180 to 230

9mm,, 4.2 for 122-125

I can find Green dot,, all the time,,,

I have not worked up a 147 9mm load, I would start at 3gr and do some testing,,

all lead bullets,,, smoke,,

I am loading some 180Gr 40's with WST and it is less smoke,, all around,,

Unique for me. I use it for IDPA 9mm and .45 ACP, also use for .45 Colt and 20 gauge skeet loads. 9mm, 125 gr. LRN, 4.4 grs. Unique 1018 fps, very light leading. 9mm, 147 gr. LRNFP, 3.5 grs. Unique, 889 fps, no leading. .45 ACP, 230 Gr. LRN, 5.1 grs. Unique, 748 fps, .45 ACP, 200 gr. LSWC, 6.0 grs. Unique, 848 fps. 8lbs, $101 from Powder Valley. If you don't want even light leading try Black Bullets or Bayou Bullets, both are coated to prevent lead deposits and to reduce smoke. Bill

Don't load 9mm

but in 45acp a 200gr lswc with 4.2/4.3gr of clays will get you major. A nice load, put in a 16pound recoil spring

Fortyfiveshooter is right on with 200gr lswc. Use regular clays. Unique powder you get alot of smoke. I have found that 231 is

really dirty. I even had it on my arms and face after shooting. I also use Missouri Bullets.

I'm with Roy, for a new reloader Winchester 231, Hodgdon HP 38 is an easy to use powder, flows well through the powder measure. Works well in both 45acp and 9mm loads. There's lots of data out there on this powder. This is the powder I recommend to new reloaders and still use myself.

Might check Handloads.com for some data and purchase a manual.

I'm a fan of Solo 1000, will load with it this morning, but it doesn't meter well, varies from lot to lot, very heat sensitive, slows down when the temps go up and would suggest a new reloader not start with a powder that can be a little harder to work with till you understand the working of your machine.

I have had good results with Green Dot in 9mm minor with 147 cast bullets, didn't try it in 45acp but like Red Dot in cast 45acp loads.

I use WST for loading lead in 9/40/10/45 and I also use it for jacketed bullets in .40 and .45. I started using it for loading shotshells and found out how great it worked for pistol ammo. so I always have an 8lb'er around.

Neal in AZ

Thanks for the help guys, I guess I will order some WST as I found some available where Im wanting to get my primers. I actually have some green dot, universal clays, and unique as stated before so I may try several loads using those before the WST arrives. Again, I am not new to reloading I've reloaded and shot over 6000 jacketed in the past 3 months just in handgun calibers and have reloaded for over 5 yrs I guess, but I am new to reloading hard cast so with you guys advice hopefully I can safely come up with some usable loads. With me having to previous experience with hard cast are the black bullets really worth the extra money vs standard hard cast? Guess I should ask this too, I was going to try the wolf primers for the price but normally use winchesters, cci, or federals. Is it worth a shot I have read very very mixed reviews. Thanks again