Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

SVI mag tubes for STI

Puma

Purchased SVI magazine tubes to use in STI gun. Has anyone recently purchased SVI tubes for an STI ? If such what issues did you have and what did you do ( modifications ) ?

In before "use a search."

Puma,

Recently people have had to modify the magazine catch, or the magazine tube itself. SVI has recently changed up there tube design to only work in their guns.

In my 9mm open gun I use new SV tube with the logo. The issue with the new SV tubes is that the mag catch hole is smaller that on a STI tube. On my gun the mag release is filed down to fit the SV tube. The other option is to enlarge the hole on the tube. All of the mags have bolen springs and followers. All but one are untuned and run 100%. The one that was tuned was tuned for capacity and I can get 30 in it.

Purchased SVI magazine tubes to use in STI gun. Has anyone recently purchased SVI tubes for an STI ? If such what issues did you have and what did you do ( modifications ) ?

were they new or old?

I just purchased the mag tubes for a new STI.

I believe Jake means were the tubes new or older production SVI? Infinity changed thier tubes a while back and the newer dimensioned ones require fitting to be used in an STI grip frame.

The newer ones have a logo on the side.

I just purchased these SVI/Infinity magazines - NEW. So far the cost to have someone modify these mags is prohibitive. I am better off selling them for 50% of cost and buying STI mags. Anyone want to buy five mags ? Just joking, I do not want to violate any rules !

Edited by Puma

I just purchased these SVI/Infinity magazines - NEW. So far the cost to have someone modify these mags is prohibitive. I am better off selling them for 50% of cost and buying STI mags. Anyone want to buy five mags ? Just joking, I do not want to violate any rules !

Post 8 more times and throw them in the classifieds.

IMO SV tubes are much better than STI tubes. :sight: Not to start a flame war but SV products are tops.

I know some folks that do a little extra work on them to get another round or two in them Check with aircooler and whatmeworry. These are two really nice guys on the leading edge of some stuff.

Post 8 more times and throw them in the classifieds.

Funny, I had six for a new open gun. 3 would work, 3 wouldn't. To get the 3 to work cost me maybe 2 hours each total. The other 3 were wide and would hit the frame. I mean It was an interesting learning lesson but when I bought STI mag they just popped in and ran. To do again, just get STI mags.

These SVI 40 Caliber mags unfortunately do have the logo on the side. They have trouble sitting but I understand that this can be fixed with a file.

However they will not load a single round. Consequently they require extensive modifications to the tube. Again these are the new magazines that SV just started very recently to produce. So everyone out there be warned not to purchase new SV magazines for any gun other than SV's anymore. I will just try to sell the tubes and salvage some of the cost and keep the DP basepads and Grams followers.

I thank everyone for taking the time to respond.

you say they will not load a round. so they will not load a round in the chamber of the gun or you can not load a cartrige in the mag?

Not a single cartridge will leave the magazine to the chamber.................magazine will hold 19 ! The gun will work with the STI magazine that came with the gun just fine so the gun is not the problem.

Opened up the magazine catch hole( right side of magazine ), opened up the magazine lips/beveled the end of the lips and the SV magazine work on my STI mags ! However, why go through the hassle ? If you have an STI gun buy STI mags.

• 1 month later...

I have two SV's and one sti, one 9mm, 2 supers, I have 10 SV tubes some new some old and 6 sti tubes. With some work and a little trial and error I have been able to get all of them to run in all three guns... both cal. loading long with no spacers. In my sti 40 I had nothing but trouble getting anything but sti mags to run... hmm, go figure.

Edited by Got Boost?