Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Single stack question.

T_Linville

I am new to the whole USPSA matches, on a local level this will be my first full year shooting. I have decided to shoot production this year and maybe buy a 1911 to shoot single stack with later in the year. My question is what kind of off the shelf gun are most shooting. I want something reliable and halfway cost effective. I have read on here about STI, Springfields, kimbers and such. I guess i really just want suggestions on what to buy 1911 wise.

Off the shelf probibally not many out there bone stock. The spartan is priced right, reliable and you can update it for what alot of other guns run stock. Ie magwell, trigger cleaned up some and possibly a new front sight(I found the stock on to be too wide and the FO to big)

Hold off on buying a new gun for a while. See how you like shooting production. In the meantime, pay attention to what the other shooters are shooting and watch the classifieds here.

That said, there is a nice looking Springfield in the classifieds right now at a decent price.

I am not planning on buying anything anytime soon. I am just looking for suggestions incase i come across a deal i can't refuse. I want a little more info on what to avoid and what is working for everyone

I'll chime in here and recommend the STI Trojan 5.0. Great gun with a very nice slide to frame fit and barrel/bushing fit (which is one of the main differences between a stock and custom gun). Any 1911 is highly customizable so anything GOOD will work!!!!

A side note....my stock STI trigger was VERY crisp, BUT it wiggled up and down like crazy!!!!! Don't know if you care. I made the decision to replace mine with an Infinity prior to even getting the gun.

I have been very impressed with the Springfield Range Officers that I've handled so far. The trigger may be a bit heavy, but they've all broken cleanly. The only thing you might need for one to get started is a mag well, but that can always be added later. It seems the standard price for them is around $750 - $775, but I found one for a friend NIB at a gun show for $625 a couple months ago.

Me too on the Springfield's!! I might add that I have been treated exceptionally well by the Springfield customer service people. The guns the custom shop puts out are really nice if you want to upgrade!!

Single Stack is the one true path!!

I have yet to handle a Springfield RO but I haven't heard anything bad about them.

It will basically come down to what you want to spend. Below 1k your limited to Springfield loadeds, STI spartans, and a few others. Get to the 1k mark and the world opens up.

I've owned plenty of 1911's over the past 9 years (kimbers, SW, Dan Wesson, STI and Nighthawk Custom). The only one that leaves the safe with me on every trip to the range is the STI (in 9mm). It has been completely reliable from the first shot. the nighthawk is great but i've been competing in ESP so the 45 hasn't been used as often. The Kimbers i've owned are good but have needed to be sent back to Kimber on a couple occasions. the SW and dan wesson were good but i got rid of them to get the nighthawk. That falls out of the price range you are looking for but within your price range the STI Trojan is a great choice. I don't have any experience with Springfield but hear good things.

I'll add my vote for a Springfiled Loaded model. The two models I deliberated between were PI9132LPand PX9152LP. Both have adjustable sights and ambi-safeties while only the PX9152LP has a built in magwell. I ended up with the PI9132LP because of a lower price and greater availability at that time. All I've added to it has been a Techwell SP with Mil-Tac G10 grips. I'm very pleased with it's performance so far, but I may have some trigger work done in the future. Hope that helps.

ohhhh. That black stainless with those grips just look SEXY!

For me it was between the Trophy Match and STI Trojan. Picked the Trojan and love it. That said, I know I wouldn't have regretted getting the Springfield. Alot of my friends have them and they are good pistols! I just don't like stainless that much. That black stainless, though, is :goof:

If you want a 1911 in 45 you should be able to find a used TRP for close to the price of a new Loaded. I have a TRP and there IS a difference in the quality of the two. You can also use a 40 S&W for SS. Steel1212 would be better able to give you suggestions on a 40 SS option.

If you are looking for a double stack 40 S&W for Limited then STI and Para comes to mind. Just depends how deep your pockets are.

I suggest you go with an STI Spartan for the most cost effective option. It has the same firing conrols as all the STI's so you get a good trigger to start with. I have handled a lot of springfields and think there trigger stinks. As far as accuracy my Spartan shoots my Major PF loads into .800 5 shot groups at 20 yds. Not too shabby for the price. It has a great barrel lockup and slide to frame fit, mine was better than any stock springfield or taurus Ive ever handled. You are getting a great gun for the price. The only quirk with the Spartan is it is finiky with feeding SWC style bullets. This is because of the non-ramped A1 design barrel. With a little barrel feed lip work it will be just fine. If you want a ramped barrel configuration than the Trojan is another great choice with alot of performance for a little bit more than the spartan. I at all cost would stay away from the taurus.........I've seen a few in action and they don't shoot very accurately and apparently the sights aren't very securely fit. I've seen my friends fall off a couple of times. That might be because of the constant jerking of the slide to clear jams !!!!!!!

There's a lot of really good advice here. The only thing I would add, is think about what caliber you want. Certain guns feed better in certain calibers. I've seen some posts where 40 single stacks can be a tricky beast to feed. Same with 9mm.

I have an STI Trojan 9mm and a SA Loaded 1911 in 45 acp. The STI is by far a better fitting gun. It is silky smooth. The SA also has quite a few mim parts. The STI has good quality parts. Also STI and SA both have GREAT customer service.