Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

While waiting for my somewhat expensive ESP 1911...

kreativecid

For pure IDPA use I am really enjoying my STI Spartan. The mags run perfectly, it's inexpensive and ugly enough that I couldn't care less about cosmetics/scratches from holster or sliding it across stage props. The little 9mm is very accurate for all IDPA distances. Granted I have no idea if it will hold up for hundreds of thousands of rounds like some nicer 1911 are built for but at $625 I'm okay if it dies at "only" 50,000; STI's customer service would probably take are of it.

My point and reason for rambling. I have a new Dan Wesson PM9 coming in. About $1400. Lots of features that make 1911 fans go crazy. Many rave reviews. Not really a collector's item (debatable?) and not really high-end; I purchased it way back for a IDPA ESP game gun, but now that the Spartan is pretty much a perfect 9mm option I am thinking if the PM9 should be kept or sold. Pretty low inventory and all are spoken for so I'm sure a sale could happen quickly.

For those who own a nicer game gun and a budget version what are your thoughts on the two which are not really close in the price spectrum. For pure gaming I doubt my skills will notice the difference, and I'm not one to have two ESP guns. Do you keep both or sell the considerably more expensive one to fund your gaming habit?

Edited by kreativecid

Somewhere on this forum, in the 1911 area, you will find a post from a guy who has over 30k through his Spartan 9mm, and it's holding up fine.

Why not just cancel the order if you don't have the gun yet? Just a thought. Failing that....

Sell the considerably more expensive gun to fund your gaming habit. :)

Indeed I shall wait. At the very least handling the PM9 will be nice and I can easily part with it.

Already have a nice Dillon setup and reload til the cows come home. If I do sell one I'm thinking the $$$ will go toward some coaching.

Okay, back to shooting the snot out of the Spartan for now! Thanks all.

Is the Spartan Accurate?

Is the Spartan Reliable?

If yes to above what more do you need?

I would get the PM9 in your hands first but sounds like to me you already have a gun. Then again 1 is none and 2 is 1. biggrin.gif

I can't see the PM9 working out any better than a Spartan, but I've not had a PM9 so that's just my guess. I'd probably sell the PM9 and buy reloading supplies or other goodies for the Spartan:) If you've got all that stuff already, then using the money towards training would be an awesome idea as well!

The only problem I have with the STI, is that because it is a 1911 style pistol, you are limited to only 8 rounds in it. To me it isn't enough, when a shooter shooting a Glock 19 can have 10.

Huh?

A 9mm 1911 will hold 10+1. I'm not sure where you got the idea that 1911 == only 8 rounds.

That's IDPA's CDP division, which is limited to .45 ACP only--and 8 rounds.

Umm... :D

Wait till you get the PM9 to decide. ;)

I agree! I got my PM9 last year before the prices went crazy. It's a great pistol, but I have handled a few Spartans and for a game gun, they definitely get the job done. Fit, finish and all that is going to be better on the DW, but for a game gun, like Corey said, if it's reliable and accurate, why get something else?

Good input by all. I ordered the PM9 a loooong time ago it seems. Owned a Spartan 45 at the time, among others, and thought "hey, I'll get a 9mm Spartan to practice and play until the DW9 shows up."

Time goes by. The darn cheapy Spartan 9mm was like cheating due to the lack of recoil, reliability and accuracy up to 20 yards. Plus it's so ugly to begin with and inexpensive that I never hesitated to totally hammer it in practice like I do while gently carrying my safe queens from foam protection to thick work pad to......yeah, stupid.

Right now I'm practicing draws and transitions and I truly do not know why I'd need a $1500 9mm for gaming. I may keep the PM9 just to own one.

Thank you all for taking the time to comment.

Good Evening,

Any one reading this post and considering a 9mm 1911 may also want to think about the Rock Island Armory (Armscor) 9mm 1911 Tactical. This gun can be had for $430. Rock Island actually makes some of the parts for the STI Spartan.

I am considering the Rock Island after two shooters at one of my local clubs recently purchased them. They are doing very well with the new guns. For less than $900 you could have your game gun and a backup.