Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Primer pick up tube jammed

Red Ryder

Fellas!

I got a live primer jammed about 2 inches down inside of the primer pick up tube. I removed the yellow pick up nipple and I can visibly see it. Any suggestions on how to safely remove it?

Throw it in the trash.

Any attempt to dislodge would require force. They don't respond well to that.

Fellas!

I got a live primer jammed about 2 inches down inside of the primer pick up tube. I removed the yellow pick up nipple and I can visibly see it. Any suggestions on how to safely remove it?

Call Dillon. They'll have a new tube to you in a few days.

Fellas!

push it out with the plastic thing from your low primer warning buzzer. it takes a little more force than pushing it out of a hollow tube to make it go off.

Fellas!

push it out with the plastic thing from your low primer warning buzzer. it takes a little more force than pushing it out of a hollow tube to make it go off.

It's happened before! Call Dillon and they will send you one. echo, echo

Fellas!

+100

Thanks Guys! Markcic-the link was awesome. I will through it away and call Dillon for a replacement. But I feel a little guilty for not paying. In my experiences, NO ONE ELSE in the USA has such a fine replacement policy and treats its customers SO well.

Fellas!

+100

When I was little I probably smacked at least 1000 primers of my dads with a hammer in the driveway. It really isn't like a stick of dynamite. They were way more fun than smacking a roll of caps.

"+1 on smackin em with a hammer! Too fun..."

WOW, and I thought I was the only one who did that! lol I used to place a primer between two plates of steel and drop a baseball bat on it to set it off! Hope my kids aren't reading this!!

Soak oil in it first, then throw it in the trash. Oil will safely deactivate the primer.

That's a myth. Oil may deactive the primer for awhile, but eventually the oil will dry and the primer will remain live. I researched this topic fairly extensively while defending a lawsuit involving smokeless powder that ignited after being stirred into water and dumped in an outdoor compost pile for months. Bottom line, you can't reliably kill primers and powder without actually igniting/burning them.

Pushing one stuck primer out of a tube isn't any big deal as long as you're careful not to point either end at your face. Multiple stuck primers is another matter.