Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

How safe are primer tubes?

cache

Horror stories from who ? Let me guess, gunshop experts that dont even reload ? Take a gander at that long thread. There have been millions and millions of rounds loaded through Dillon tubes with nary an issue,

I know two people who have detonated federal primers in Dillon 650s with the attendant sympathetic detonation of the primer tube. Neither was injured. The problem isn't the equipment or components but technique and maintenance. Keep the priming mechanism free of debris and press the primers into place (as opposed to slamming the press to it's stopping point on the up stroke) and you won't have a problem. I've made it through about a half million without incident. Always wear safety glasses when reloading, just in case.

Read above post from Okshootists, read again ;) . Wear safety glasses when handling primers and loading ammuntion.

Have fun.... :cheers:

There is nothing wrong with Federal primers or using them in Dillons, period. My primer problems were with crimped primer brass that hadn't been swaged, or flash holes with the sides of the primers (ringers) still in the case(years ago too).

DougC

Exercise enough caution and primer tubes are safe.

Do stoopid things like trying to dislodge a stuck primer by hitting it is gonna get you hurt.

There's a post here about one of our friend that lost the tip of his finger trying to dislodge a primer.

And this was with Winchester primers.

apply reasonable caution w/ the primer tubes andyou will be fine, i have also heard of 'events' w/ the 650's priming system, but as was said before, keeping the equipment clean and serviceable, and dont 'force' things your gonna be ok, and by all means WEAR EYE PROTECTION when loading....cant say that enuff....

I've read a few horror stories about primer tube explosions (usually involving the 650 and federal primers), and I'm wondering how safe is it to reload using primer tubes.

I think you are confusing two different tubes. Primer tubes are used to load ALL Dillon presses. The explosions you read about on the 650 are because when one gets set off on the loader it is basically right under the primer tube that is attached to the press. This sets off other primers. On the 550 as an example, the primer seating takes place far enough from the affixed tube that it is not prone to set everything off if you crush one.

The tubes that are loaded up ahead of time to feed the press are perfectly safe if handled with reasonable care.

I agree with OK Shootist, Doug Carden and the others as well. Those guys have an incredible amount of experience. I only loaded 12,000 rounds last year. I have had the pleasure of loading since 1982 on 9 different machines. Five are Dillons which can't be beat. If you are determined to load thousands of round per hour you'll regret it. Slow down a little and feel the primer enter the brass. S&B and Amerc brass have small primer pockets and even off center flash holes. Federal primers are the absolute best in my opinion, especially if your guns are tuned and slicked to the max. Enjoy.

over on thehighroad.org, about a year ago or so some guy posted a pic

of a Primer Magazine Tube that had shot through a ceiling tile,

due to sympathetic detonation of a bunch of primers.

Not sure how that happened, unless he was jamming a metal rod

down on them instead of the plastic follower.

I looked for the pic & the post, but couldn't find it.

I know three people who have had the Dillon 650 go "boom!". All are experienced reloaders and competitors.. I've crushed my share of Federal primers and never had an issue. In all of my years of reloading (and over 200,000+ rounds) I've had 2 primers go off in the 650, and one on a MEC Sizemaster. In the case of the 650, I was depriming on 1, seating primer on 2, sizing on 2.. and.... forgot to remove the deprime punch in the sizer.. and a muffled "Pop" could be heard.. I had to do it twice to figure out what I was doing wrong :D On the MEC, I'd just had shot spill from a shell, and one pellet found itself on the priming station... that was a louder POP!