Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Titanium Cylinders

Forrest Halley

Looking for some Titanium Cylinders for an L frame .357 and a 625 hopefully with extractors...Any thoughts on this? What are the advantages and disadvantages? Local gunsmith says titanium cracks when chamferred...guy at TK says it works just fine. Help me out with a mass input of the knowledge here. I'm curious what to do here.

Besides we need to get back to the real workhorses of the revo world. Full moons make me really crazy unless they're loaded with ammo.

We have discussed the pros and cons of Ti cylinders a lot here, a search should bring you that mass input of the knowledge here!

My quick opinion on Ti cylinders: Much ado about nothing, no significant advantage. I ran one in 2009, went back to stainless in 2010.

They chamfer just fine. I would not put a whole lot of stock in the mass input of your local gunsmith's knowledge. :)

They only crack if chamfered wrong. A haircrack starts migrating from imperferfections in rounded off edges with poor polishing jobs too. Only benefit using TI cylinders, would be slightly better action job and easier lock up on the cylinder bolt ( less mass in movement), and a lighter gun out of the holster for stuff like Steel Challenge.

However, as everything in life, there's a trade-off. More recoil and inconsistency with fast reloads. And somehow, they don't feel like enough gun in the hand at times.

Just my opinien...and you know how that goes ha ha.

Jess

Hello: So how would one go about get a titanium cylinder :devil: I am thinking about a 625 4" barrel for IDPA and shoot SSR with the new power factor of 105 :surprise: Let see a 185 grain bullet going 580ft/s should be pretty soft shooting and make big holes :cheers: Not sure how it would work though. Thanks, Eric

Hello: I have shot my 646 which has a titanium cylinder from the factory in a IDPA and USPSA match. It is also available from the factory for the 625 so it should be. I think as long as it makes weight it should be good. I am not sure about how the auto rim brass or the speedloaders will work. I do have a milling machine here and a lathe so I could make something up for the speedloaders if need be. I just think it would be cool to shoot a 45 in SSR even if I would be slow :cheers: More trigger time is always good. Thanks, Eric

Hello: I have shot my 646 which has a titanium cylinder from the factory in a IDPA and USPSA match. It is also available from the factory for the 625 so it should be. I think as long as it makes weight it should be good. I am not sure about how the auto rim brass or the speedloaders will work. I do have a milling machine here and a lathe so I could make something up for the speedloaders if need be. I just think it would be cool to shoot a 45 in SSR even if I would be slow :cheers: More trigger time is always good. Thanks, Eric

If you're going to be in four inch anyway...why not just save the cash and stick to the stainless cylinder? You'd have even less recoil than the already non existant recoil. Looking to shave transition time maybe? Bobmacs.com has the SL variant for smith .44/.45 for 32$ a copy. These are like comp threes just more money.

Hello: The 625 4" is a little on the heavy side so I have een told. I don't have a 625 4" yet but want one :surprise: It will also be my backup for the 5" I have for USPSA. Thanks, Eric

I just had my 625 4" checked at Winter Nationals, came up to 40.8 oz with stock Hogue rubber grips.

It makes SSR weight.

• 2 months later...
am thinking about a 625 4" barrel for IDPA and shoot SSR with the new power factor of 105

Now to find a 4" 625 and some 45 auto rim brass

Sigh...Sometimes I feel like The SSR Cop... :(

AFAIK, using .45AR in a 625 in SSR is a no-go, since...

...45AR isn't listed as one of the allowable substitutions, e.g. .38spl in a .357mag. :wacko:

...and cylinders machined for moons aren't allowed in SSR (not on the inclusive list of allowed SSR mods), even if speedloaders are used. :wacko:

...then there's potentially the weight thing.

:huh:

Tom

edit: As far as a Ti cylinder for the 625, I saw one here.

Edited by GrandBoule

Any idea where you never see 610 Ti cylinders for sale?

Lee

Because Smith never made any and won't. They told me if I wanted to order 500 and wait a few years for them to R&D them they would think about it.

Lee

Did you just ask a ? And then answer it? Lol

Any idea where you never see 610 Ti cylinders for sale?

Lee

Because Smith never made any and won't. They told me if I wanted to order 500 and wait a few years for them to R&D them they would think about it.

Lee

Did you just ask a ? And then answer it? Lol

Yes

Hello: That sucks about the 625 and 45 Auto Rim brass. I think I will be sending a letter off to national since they lowered the power factor for SSR so what is the big deal. Speedloaders are not any faster than speedloaders so what is the big deal. Thanks, Eric

Hello: That sucks about the 625 and 45 Auto Rim brass. I think I will be sending a letter off to national....

Yeah, good luck with that. If your letter is met with the same kind of response I received the last time I tried to communicate with IDPA headquarters, you may decide to stick with other games like I did.

am thinking about a 625 4" barrel for IDPA and shoot SSR with the new power factor of 105

Now to find a 4" 625 and some 45 auto rim brass

Sigh...Sometimes I feel like The SSR Cop... :(

AFAIK, using .45AR in a 625 in SSR is a no-go, since...

...45AR isn't listed as one of the allowable substitutions, e.g. .38spl in a .357mag. :wacko:

...and cylinders machined for moons aren't allowed in SSR (not on the inclusive list of allowed SSR mods), even if speedloaders are used. :wacko:

...then there's potentially the weight thing.

:huh:

Tom

edit: As far as a Ti cylinder for the 625, I saw one here.

Not sure where you're getting the interpretation that .45AR brass in a .45 ACP is not allowed in SSR. This case is essentially a thick rimmed 45ACP and was made specifically to function in guns chambered for .45 ACP. This is not a matter of shooting a shorter than standard case like 38 SC/LC in a 38 Special which is what the rule addendum addresses. Shooting 45 AR in a 625 does not require modifying the gun - it's as is from the factory.

Jerry

Edited by COF

Not sure where you're getting the interpretation that .45AR brass in a .45 ACP is not allowed in SSR. This case is essentially a thick rimmed 45ACP and was made specifically to function in guns chambered for .45 ACP. This is not a matter of shooting a shorter than standard case like 38 SC/LC in a 38 Special which is what the rule addendum addresses. Shooting 45 AR in a 625 does not require modifying the gun - it's as is from the factory.

I agree with you Jerry - it sure sounds like it ought to be legal, but the AFAIK, it aint.

In the latest rules addendum (appendix 1.6 SSR), it reads (emphasis mine): "additional language to rule A. page 25...Ammunition used must match the caliber listed on the gun. The only exceptions would be: .38 special in .357 magnum, .44 special in .44 magnum."

Then there's still the issue of cylinders machined to accept moonclips conspicuously absent from the (inclusive) allowable SSR modifications list.

:wacko:

Tom