Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Webley Mark IV

C.W.

I recently inherited a Webley mark IV. It's in great shape and I want to shoot it. (Showing up at a match with this thing and shooting esr would be pretty cool).

This Webley, as most I am discovering from my research - has had the cylinder milled to accept moonclipped .45 ACP. I'll load super - light .45's for it, but I have no experience with moonclips.

So my question is does anyone know where I can get moonclips for this revolver? (it came with none)

I recently inherited a Webley mark IV. It's in great shape and I want to shoot it. (Showing up at a match with this thing and shooting esr would be pretty cool).

This Webley, as most I am discovering from my research - has had the cylinder milled to accept moonclipped .45 ACP. I'll load super - light .45's for it, but I have no experience with moonclips.

So my question is does anyone know where I can get moonclips for this revolver? (it came with none)

WOW! You're a lucky dog .... I inherited a Webley Mark IV but it is not in .45. It's a 38 S&W, so not as valuable, nor as rare as the .45.

Congrats.

Now how does one make it faster? I assume the double action can be slicked up a bit and the ejector disabled/modified possibly to allow the gun to break open faster? If you could make it so that it would fall open on its own you could do a really fast weak hand reload while throwing the spent cases over the shoulder.

Now how does one make it faster? I assume the double action can be slicked up a bit and the ejector disabled/modified possibly to allow the gun to break open faster? If you could make it so that it would fall open on its own you could do a really fast weak hand reload while throwing the spent cases over the shoulder.

No, no, no. It was never built for this, and it should be remembered that you're dealing with a historical artifact, and that there are fewer & fewer of them every year. Even though it's already been modified, it's still a 455 Webley. A friend has an unmodified one, and I'm waiting for him to decide to sell it to me. I will get it, and we both know it.

Thanks for the replies, guys. Any info you have on this revolver is welcome. The moonclip question was my big one, if 625 moonclips work, that's awesome. So we're clear - I want to shoot this in a comp ONE time - for the unique factor - and to honor my father - in - law who passed and left it to me.(not to sound like a sap or anything).

A parts breakdown would be really nice, if someone has a link. This thing could use a good stripdown and cleaning - but other than that it seems tip - top. (lockup feels good, trigger is smooth (but kinda heavy)),etc.

If CherryRiver is the Webley board guru, maybe I'll shoot him a P.M. if he doesn't respond to this thread in a couple days. Meanwhile I welcome any information/advice I can get.

At the last Wheegunner Rvenge 12, there was a fellow on my squad shooting a Webly. It takes standard moonclips, and his reloads were very fast, and not at all like ours;

He'd press the latch lever with his right thumb, while grabbing the barrel with his left. He'd then simply lever the barrel down, and hold on to it with his left hand. (Yes, he wore a glove on that hand.) Then he'd snatch up a fresh moonclip with his right, stuff it in, grab the grips with his right, and lever the wheelgun closed.

Very fast, and for ICORE, no need for full-power loads.

Cherryriver is well know for his skill with his Webley and his support of the shooting sports

I have not seen him post around here lately but if you google Bill Zeller revolver his e-mail will show up at clubs such as North Porter County , ICORE, and it appears Excell training group.

I heard a call to action!

Well, there's lots of things I should know about my Mk VI .45ACP clunker, but here's the whole story.

I bought it out of a shoebox of Mk VIs back around '75, for $75. I used the then-current half-moons in it and just plain shot the same ammunition I was feeding my Combat Commander.

Many years later, having spent serious money on a new 625 in the interest of competing in the cardboard sports, and finding it unpleasant to shoot, filled with a depressing amount of dross, and none-too-reliable in the ignition department, I remembered the old Limey buried on a garage shelf, loaded with 250gr Keith semi-wadcutters as the garage-stash gun.

Lo and behold, the full moons of the '90s worked perfectly and off I went. I shot the thing with everything from Winchester White Box to cruddy old reload rejects- just like always, it shoots anything you can cram in the capacious chambers.

It does, oddly, seem to love jacketed bullets. Never expected that. It's really almost accurate with the White Box, excepting the old V-notch rear sight confounding my now-older eyes.

In one of the more bizarre days of my competition "career", I did an all-classifier match about three years ago and was mysteriously spot-on with my shooting and everything else. I actually classified "B", far above my native skill and practice level, and so pretty much gave myself a hoot and a half over the goofiness of it all.

Yeah, I shouldn't be shooting full-power stuff by the thousands. I shouldn't have lightened the pull by bending the mainspring with a drill rod a la Colt's factory method. I shouldn't have cleaned up the finish. And I certainly ought not to be shooting it in USPSA.

But I did, and still occasionally do despite my pretty much abandoning revo division in USPSA now that it's strictly an eight-shot game, and I still get a huge kick out of innocent ROs flinching when the smoking empty moons launch over my shoulder straight at them. Guess I shouldn't do that, either.

Still another thing I shouldn't do is post the only video I have of it in action. Since I blew the stage by taking an unnecessary shot at the swinger after already two-alpha-ing it, I look even dumber than usual, not to mention the 30-some pounds I since left off the spare tire carrier. Still, the gun works and if the distance isn't so far I lose the little front sight in the haze, it works okay.

And, it's entertaining as hell.

But I did, and still occasionally do despite my pretty much abandoning revo division in USPSA now that it's strictly an eight-shot game,

Do what now? Methinks you've confused USPSA with ICORE. And I'll go on record as saying that six shots isn't really a handicap in ICORE, either.

Matt

Edited by Matt Griffin

But I did, and still occasionally do despite my pretty much abandoning revo division in USPSA now that it's strictly an eight-shot game,

Do what now? Methinks you've confused USPSA with ICORE. And I'll go on record as saying that six shots isn't really a handicap in ICORE, either.

Matt

I think he's commenting on the fact that you see so many stages that are nothing more than a series of 8-shot arrays.

By the way, that may be more of a local problem. Clubs that pay attention to good stage design principles do not allow themselves to fall into that rut.

Me too. I missed a nice .455 at a local shop a few months ago that was $225 with uncut cylinders.

Lee

If half decent, that was theft.

Uncut ones are harder to find in here than cut ones.

I think the Mk. IV was the first "Mark" rated for smokeless powder? Grandma kept a Mk. I on the nightstand, loaded with WWII-vintage Canadian surplus ammo, but the latter shouldn't be used in the early guns.

Edited by RickB

I've got one of these old rascals too.They're a pretty cool gun.Mines broken though,IIRC theres a little tab on the trigger that keeps the cylinder from spinning when its "at rest".Normal lock up is OK,but when I close up the gun,the cylinder spins on its own.I've never been able to find replacement parts.I'll have to take another look at it to see if I remember how that whole mess works.As far as loads for these things,they where made to burn Cordite,which I understand can get really hinky when it gets warm out.-Mike

Well I got dies from Dillon yesterday (moonclips are on backorder). I still need to find a nice soft load. I'll probably use BBI moly coated bullets - anyone got a pet load like I'm looking for?