Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

New Rear Sight - Apex

RevolverJockey

I got my sight base back from Randy Lee with the new blade in it he is having made for Apex. It has a .125" " U" notch and according to Scott is heat treated tool steel with mid to high 40s RC and is completely machinable. In addition to being a lot stronger, it is a lot thinker on all dimensions and fits very tightly to the sight base. Feel free to PM with any questions or comments. After the stock, Millet, and Weigand this makes my forth and from the looks of things final sight.

Lee

4cae8f27.jpg

ac55f453.jpg

100854ba.jpg

I doubt no serrations because if I understand it correctly they outsource the wire EDM work and blueing. I did talk to Scott today and they said they could mill it for me if I wanted to send it back, but it should be easy enough to open up and reblue the notch. The one I got was .125 wide and I would have probably preferred .140. I will be opening it up myself, but should be an easy job for a 1/8" ball end mill or file. The surest way to know is give Randy a call. He can make anything and if he doesn't think there is a market, he won't know to make it. By the looks of the one I have, all those configurations should be possible. When we first started talking about it, I got the impression this was just the beginning.

Lee

Edited by Mitch_Rapp.45

Must be a brand new item. Couldn't find it on their webside. Was looking to buy the blade only, and put it on my existing rear sight, which has no blade on it right now. Didn't like the Wiegand being out of aluminum and serrated. Does anyone know,if this blade goes right onto the existing S&W sight base ?

Also if they have them without serrations (too much stuff to look at), and with different notch sizes ?

Jess

Must be a brand new item. Couldn't find it on their webside. Was looking to buy the blade only, and put it on my existing rear sight, which has no blade on it right now. Didn't like the Wiegand being out of aluminum and serrated. Does anyone know,if this blade goes right onto the existing S&W sight base ?

Also if they have them without serrations (too much stuff to look at), and with different notch sizes ?

Jess

It used to be on their web site and it was listed as "coming soon". Now it's not on their site so I sent them an e-mail through the web page to ask what the status was but that was a month ago and I never got a response. Looks like it's still in the works but I don't remember what kind of options they were going to have as far as height, notch width or serrations.

Jess

I sent Randy a rear sight base and he installed it. I assume it will drift in like the Weigand. I actually sent my base with a bent Weigand installed. I assume like the other drift rear sights, you have to break the windage screw to install it. I took the sight out yesterday and fired about 100 rounds. I thought I wouldn't like how small the rear notch is .125" with a patridge sight, but it is growing on me. I may not open up the notch at all. One thing is for sure that thing is tight. No movement on the elevation and it fits tight enough the windage screw is actually a little hard to get to move.

Lee

Jess

I sent Randy a rear sight base and he installed it. I assume it will drift in like the Weigand. I actually sent my base with a bent Weigand installed. I assume like the other drift rear sights, you have to break the windage screw to install it. I took the sight out yesterday and fired about 100 rounds. I thought I wouldn't like how small the rear notch is .125" with a patridge sight, but it is growing on me. I may not open up the notch at all. One thing is for sure that thing is tight. No movement on the elevation and it fits tight enough the windage screw is actually a little hard to get to move.

Lee

It looks like I will have to call Apex up tomorrow and see if I can order several.

Jess

Lee

It looks like I will have to call Apex up tomorrow and see if I can order several.

Let us know what you find out

Jess

Lee

I just got off the phone with Scott. I ordered two of them Each one cost $49.00 and it comes with the screw kit to install it since you have to break the old one to get the sight out. It comes with a .125 notch, but he is going to open them up for me to .140 and refinish it for an extra 25.00 each. He does have them in stock.

It looks like a direct copy of the Wiegand to me.

-ld

I thought that at first when I saw it, but I can say looking at them side by side the Apex on is a lot more robust in every dimension and does fit a lot better. I don't think of sights as "innovative" designs as there are only so many way to make notch/post sights, and unlike most firearms, revolvers require a base not just something to slide into a dovetail. There are many who are much more technically inclined than me and certainly been around Smiths longer (Warren and Mike come to mind), but it looks like the bases have changed over the years while the blade had remained the same. I personally don't feel this a copy as it is something logical that can be arrived at without see another product. If I were to set out to make a new sight for a Smith, I would make the simplest product to be marketed to the broadest group of consumers. I would make a replacement blade to fit in everyone existing base and would consider it not taking from the creative property of Weigand. I bought a Weigand for my 610 and 617 and one still sits on my 617. When my range bag tipped over on it's side and my super padded gun rug slid out on its side and hit a barstool leg resulting in my sight being mangled beyond use, I give Randy and discussed steel options (Also considering the non windage adjustable SDM rear) - to my surprise, he had been working on a sight for a while and I am grateful to have it. The are not a lot of options for revolver shooters and I for one am glad people are still producing new products. Just my two cents.

Lee

Jess

Lee

I just got off the phone with Scott. I ordered two of them Each one cost $49.00 and it comes with the screw kit to install it since you have to break the old one to get the sight out. It comes with a .125 notch, but he is going to open them up for me to .140 and refinish it for an extra 25.00 each. He does have them in stock.

thank you