Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Draw Practice

muleymaniac81

I came up with an idea that may be stupid, but I'm gonna try it anyway. I live in a small town (299 people) but I obviously still can't shoot in my yard. My idea to get in some practice every day is: I bought an airsoft 1911 to practice my draw and get some hybrid dry-fire practice inside city limits. Anyone try this?

I came up with an idea that may be stupid, but I'm gonna try it anyway. I live in a small town (299 people) but I obviously still can't shoot in my yard. My idea to get in some practice every day is: I bought an airsoft 1911 to practice my draw and get some hybrid dry-fire practice inside city limits. Anyone try this?

One problem I see with your idea is the weight difference. You would be better off practicing draws with your unloaded pistol.

Airsoft can have some uses in your practice routine, but you have to be careful how you use it.

Ben Stoeger has a good article on the use of airsoft for training on his website.

Ben Stoeger website <<<< click here

then check out the articles section to find it.

I do all my draws and reload practices with my actual gun and mags (with dummy rounds of course). Nothing like the real thing. I do have an airsoft setup as well (didnt see as much use as I had hoped this winter) that I use on occasion. like the Ben Stoeger article, you do have to be careful when using it alot, but it definitely gives a different aspect on transitions and such. I have some small plates and a Texas Star that I shoot it with :cheers:

So, here's what I've been doing w/ a Walther P99 airsoft in my back yard I do the following(with 14 rounds in the magazine,7 yards to a pop can every time):

1)From Surrender, free-style

2)Low Relaxed, free-style

3)Surrender, strong hand only

4)LR, strong hand only

5)Surrender, weak hand only

6)LR, weak hand only

7)Table start, free-style

8)table, strong hand only

9)table, weak hand only

10)Surrender, turn and draw, free-style

11)LR, turn and draw, free-style

12)5 yards behind box, step up and shoot, free-style

13)3 yards to the left, step right and shoot, free-style

14)3 yards to the right, step left and shoot, free-style

15)3 magazines on transitions, both left and right

16)2 magazines on groups, free-style, not in a hurry Total: 266 shots, takes about 45 minutes

Where I live, we're not allowed to take our blasters home (have to store them at a gun club) so the airsoft is my only option for practice at home. It's lighter than my real gun, but it doesn't make that much of a difference. I can still work on most of the stuff I need to, except for recoil management and timing. If you can, try to get a metal slide, frame, outer barrel and chamber for your airsoft - that'll give you a bit more weight.

Edited by mudman

I like to draw while looking into a mirror. I use my dominate eye for the target. I can watch for wasted movement that way.

Good one. I did that for many years, double checking for head or shoulder movement during the draw. Before starting the draw, note the relationship of the top of your head to something reflected in the mirror. Then watch that spot for movement as you draw.

be

Edited by benos
added "for movement"

I like to draw while looking into a mirror. I use my dominate eye for the target. I can watch for wasted movement that way.

Good one. I did that for many years, double checking for head or shoulder movement during the draw. Before starting the draw, note the relationship of the top of your head to something reflected in the mirror. Then watch that spot for movement as you draw.

be

Yep, you don't want your head "ducking"....bring the gun up to you.

• 1 month later...

Anyone ever go between the airsoft and the real deal with a .22 converter? I have a Kimber kit and it allows me to shoot every day since the ammo is so much cheaper. Originally bought it to test trigger jobs (hehe a lot easier to hang on to a full auto .22 than a 45 right!) but I love the thing. Also I found out when it's time to run a 22 in things like steel challenge rimfire or the odd local club shoot-off this kit on my single stack gun outruns any Ruger or S&W 41 I've ever shot.

• 3 weeks later...

I use an airsoft to practice when I can't get to the range. It helped me alot with my transitions between targets and in my reloads (airsoft mags I have are weighted and are the same as a fully loaded mag). I like it because I can't get to the range nearly as much as I want.

• 1 month later...

I bought a Tokyo Mauri MEU (1911) a few years ago and I think it helped me quite a bit. I have a plate rack in my garage using 5, 5" high density foam "plates", hinged with duct tape, in my garage. (Distance is 21 feet.) We shoot 5, 6" plates at 7 yards at our local plate shoots and practicing with the airsoft has helped me quite a bit---and---it's fun! As I haven't upgraded to all metal, I epoxied some lead sheet to the dust cover of the airsoft to increase the weight.

In the last year, I've been pretty busy and haven't practiced much with the airsoft. I do quite a bit of draw and dry fire on my "plate rack" (right before a match) and find that very helpful. I haven't had much time to practice live fire but, between the airsoft and dry fire, I manage to win my fair share of matches.

In the last year I shot 3 local IDPA matches (local being, 45 miles away). Lots more complicated than plate shooting but lots of fun. "Running and gunning" is a lot harder than standing in one place and shooting plates, that's for sure.

WyoBob

I have a airsoft Glock and it feels nearly identical to my Glocks. I practice draws in my garage as well as shooting on the move since my local indoor range doesn't allow either. I have a plate rack setup with 10 hinges that have 2x4 steel mending-plates as targets. It is a lot of fun and has really sped things up for me.

• 3 months later...

One problem I see with your idea is the weight difference. You would be better off practicing draws with your unloaded pistol.

Airsoft can have some uses in your practice routine, but you have to be careful how you use it.

Ben Stoeger has a good article on the use of airsoft for training on his website.

Ben Stoeger website <<<< click here

then check out the articles section to find it.

amazing

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I have a KJWorks 1911 MEU all metal. Great for drill practice on full size targets in the back yard. Amazingly accurate gun! Way more accurate than a bb gun....the hop up on the airsoft pellets takes away the random spin problem. With heavier 6mm airsoft bbs, I can get groups way smaller than I would have ever guessed possible with a "toy" gun.

I also shoot it in the garage for draw practice dot drills. It runs on propane so it's darned cheap to shoot. You can also practice mag changes. I drop the mags into a pile of towels to protect them.

It's amazing how similar in weight and feel the gun is to my Kimber TLE. The safety isn't as positive as I'd like and the lack of recoil makes follow up shots way too easy, but the practice mechanics and repetition of motion for draws, etc., can be done no problem. I highly recommend a good all-metal airsoft gun as part of a training plan. Cost was around $125. I also use a Laser-lyte on my Kimber, but the airsoft is more "fun".