Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Grip Tape?

dskinsler83

Some of the tread tape, like the Lowe's deck tread, is only a few inches across across, and is you're trying to make it in the style of the bought/wraparound ones, you'll have to do 2 sets.

I looked on eBay, and they sell full skate tape, i think 9" x 33" something, and was like $9 something last time i looked. If you cut it right might be able to make 2-3 grips from one sheet, but it's not as aggressive as the regular skate tape stuff..

There are a couple of skateboard shops in Knoxville. There's one up on Bearden Hill (the Boardroom?). I'd also look at the mentioned shops - Lowe's, Home Depot, and Ace hardware all should have it. I think I bought the length I have now at a shop in the mall that also sold skateboards. Boy did I feel out of place. :ph34r:

• 3 months later...

You shoulda seen the look on the hippies face at the skateboard shop when I answered his question about what kind of board was I putting the tape on ;)

I prefer the deck tread. It almost feels like it's got a thin rubber coating over the grit. Tends to tear the hands up less. I got a scrap from a skate shop one time that was large enough to do several pistols. The skate tape is really rough, and would tear up my hands at first. I found it works best to take a left over piece of the stuff and buff them together. This seems to take some of the sharp edges off the stuff.

BTW, clean the grip really well before applying this stuff. Rubbing alcohol or some other cleaner that removes oils is a good idea. Once installed, I use a roll of kite string and wrap the grip tightly and leave it for a day or two. This holds the tape in place tightly, and evenly. It might be overkill, but it seems to work well.