Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

15" JP tube on a 16" barrel

Cap

Has anyone tried the 15" JP tube on a 16" barrel. I'm wondering if any of the barrel would be left expossed or if the muzzle brake would be partally recessed into the tube. I want to get my hand out a little farther on my rifle than the current 12" rail allows (and ditch the quad rail) but I'm not sure if this would be too long. My other option would be the TRX Extreme which I know will leave at least an inch of barrel expossed.

Has anyone tried this setup or have any recomendations. I know most are running 18 or 20" barrels but this is a good barrel with plenty of life left and I hate to replace it prematurely.

Doesn't help answer your question 100%, but I have the JP XL on my rifle with an 18" barrel. There's 1 and 13/16ths inches between the end of the handguard and where the compensator meets the barrel when threaded on (not sure if there's a technical term for that part).

I just took off my Daniel Defense 10" Lite Rail and installed the JP 15" rail - it's a world of difference if you're looking to grab the handguard a little farther forward (and IMO much more comfortable than the quad rails regardless of what type of panels are on). I like the length of pull on fixed style stocks (I have a magpul PRS) and the extra couple of inches on the hand guard really let me reach out there and get a good support grip.

Edit: Dcloudy just answered it better than I could have.

Edited by cardiackid

• 6 months later...

I've run 14" and 15" PRI tubes on a bunch of barrel lengths (16"/17"/18"/20"). I would not run a 15" PRI tube with a 16" barrel. The brake is recessed and it'll hurt your hand if you hold around the end of the tube.

I've run 14" and 15" PRI tubes on a bunch of barrel lengths (16"/17"/18"/20"). I would not run a 15" PRI tube with a 16" barrel. The brake is recessed and it'll hurt your hand if you hold around the end of the tube.

I have a 17" barrel. Do you think that a 14" PRI hand guard would cover a PRI adjustable gas block? Will it look good? :unsure:Maybe you or someone have a picture of this setup?

I can’t decide on which to buy the 14” or an ordinary 12”.

I have a 17" barrel. Do you think that a 14" PRI hand guard would cover a PRI adjustable gas block? Will it look good? :unsure:Maybe you or someone have a picture of this setup?

14" will cover a the gas block for sure.

I'd do the 14", you won't have to worry about resting the barrel against barricades so much and your grip won't have to adjust either(provided you are already holding towards the far end of the handguard). I have a 16" Nordic Barrel under a 15" Midwest Ind' on another build and I love the way it looks and handles.

Edited by carbon9