Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

IPSC reloads

dirtypool40

Guys,

I'm TDY in Boivia again.

I borrowed gear last Saturday and shot Standard. My holster position is the same (I never was a big fan of the crotch draw) but the mags being so far back seems to REALLY slow me down. I break 1.00 in practice regularly from up front with my nice big UPSA magwell, but with IPSC gear and off to the side I'd be surprised if I could break 1.20.

Here's the question; with gear in a the IPSC Standard position, ie point of the hip, how fast are your reloads? To make this about doing things correctly, let's say to an A-zone hit at 10 yards.

I think I remember seeing Strader post something like a .62!!! Is that even possible??? :blink: Wait....it IS Phil. <_<

Thanks in advance...

so wait, you're telling us you can do shot-reload-A at 10 y in 1 sec, every time, when the mag is forward (say, in "Open" position)? :o

I don't think you have anything to worry about...

Reloads in the "behind the hip" position were about .2 sec slower when I switched, but with a bit of practice it became identical (now still 1.3-1.5 sec, though, much worse than you already are, I'm just a lowly M :( )

Would be interesting to hear what Phil's times are... The key is "reproducibly" and "at 10 y"...

--Detlef

I am not sure what you think I was claiming... I am a lowly "M" also.

But, with the mag pouches up front and a larger USPSA style magwell, I can break a second regularly.

In a match anything sub 1.20 is fast for me. On drills like El Prez I am usually in the 1.15 range.

I am hoping to get down to sub 1.2 with some practice from the "hipster" IPSC spot.

I have hit a sub .90 in practice from the second pouch spot on my USPSA rig, but that is still a little forward of the IPSC legal position. (the drill was draw 1, reload 1, reload 1, my best time was a 2.66 which means I was breaking .90 for draw and reloads from the first two pouches).

But again that is a BEST time not an average.

Thanks for the help and times guys....keep them coming.

Hey dirtypool,

I was in Guatemala at the Columbus Cup last year, where JJ, Estuardo Gomez, and I did a small shooting/reloading demo. We showed off some reload catches, and some other tricks. Estuardo and I - with Standard mag positions - then covered off on a couple of steel IPSC chest plates (USPSA style) and did some drills. I managed two hits - reload - two hits with a .62 load, twice. The hits were pretty centered....I guess they would've been A's, or pretty close. Obviously were 10+yds since it was steel.

Actually I've found that I'm exactly as fast from the international mag position as I am from the US. In fact, that silly reload catch video that's floating around of me is from the international mag position. Speed demons like Estuardo, Blake Miguez, and Frank Garcia always keep their mags there. I'll move them back over a couple of months before the World Shoot.

Well gotta go practice! :lol: Yeah, right!

Phil Strader

www.shootersparadise.com

Thanks Phil. That gives me something to shoot for, or rather punish myself for when I reload less than half as fast!! Like I said, if I can get down to sub 1.20 in matches I'll feel that's an accomplishment. Right now that's where I am with everythin gup front and the Big Ice.

My new gear should be in country soon. I'll be settling into my new job down here and with a little luck going to the World Shoot next year.

Only real changes I am making are the higher pf, moving the mag pouches and a smaller mag well. Other than that it's get in and practice.

Keep the times coming...

Racing with the Burner's tapes really helps a lot. With IPSC gear locations a can reliably hit 1.1sec, shoot-reload while side stepping/transitioning-shoot.

Having said that, I've always wondered how it becomes helpful in a match. Except probably when you screw up and have to do a standing reload. Or in some very few stages where you only need to side step between shooting positions. Since most of my reloads are done while running I realized most of them aren't really "done in a hurry." It does give comfort, though, to know you can deliver when you need to.

And to drift the thread a bit, I also realized hitting the button while the gun is recoiling takes a bit of familiarization. But once you do, it cuts a considerable amount of time in the reload process. ;)

dirty,

FYI, I've been using the standard STI magwell since I started. It's plenty big, and fits in the box. No need to use anything smaller. Good luck with everything. Hope to see you at WSXIV.

Phil

FYI, I've been using the standard STI magwell since I started.  It's plenty big, and fits in the box.

Ditto.

Dirtypool,

I shoot an SVI IPSC-box compliant, and switched from SVI to STI magwell for the above reasons.

And, if they come from HIM, you might give'em a try... ;)

Thanks guys.

I saw Phil's new(er?) gun at the FL Open, looks nice.

I shot that little dinky Krebs platic magwell for my first two or three years, then I went to a Dawson Ice and an Arredondo button and got a lot faster. I know it's no substitute for technique, but it let me get aggressive and took me from a 1.25 best as a "B" shooter to a best of .82 and a stand and shoot average in the .90's with my "M" card. Ok, so there was a little practice in there.

I also agree that moving reloads can be done at a much more leisurely pace. I hated the way I lethargically reloaded at the FGN match last year and have been working on the "blastoff" reload.

I am also swiching back to a regular "no paddle" button. If most of the reloads are moving what's the big rush?

Have you seen how some shooters have their guns cut ala Grauffel to they stand up on a table? I am going to play with this a bit. My buddy from Guat had this done on his S_I. IT didn't seem to hurt reloads and looked kinda like a S&A magwell on a para with the front cut away a a little.

Keep your fingers crossed for me on a WS slot, if I have to I'll go on one from Bolivia!!!

• 6 months later...

well it's been about 7 months since my last post on this thread, several differnt guns, starts stops, and finally I am down at my new job and finally I broke the "1 second barrier".

Yesterday I am practicing with my buddy Mike. We're doing this on an IPSC popper at 10y. I've never been able to go faster than 1.04. I hit some cold in the 1.2 range and then went right into the 1.0's.

Mike came over to try a few and was about the same. When it was my turn again I went .97 the first one! I hit a whole series sub 1.0, going as fast as .92. I was pretty stoked, having worked hard at this for a while.

I don't have a mag button, and I am using an old plastic krebs magwell.

I also did some "blastoff" reloads where I shoot one, start moving, reload and then shoot the next one on the move. I got those into the 1.15 range, with a best of a 1.04.

GOAL MET, now I need to polish and make them look like a xerox machine.

thanks guys. It is encouraging to reach goals. It is tough when you set them high and have trouble reaching them, but they are sweeter when you actually had to work for them.

How good would your GM card feel if you could just "declare" yourself GM whenever you wanted to? Where's the work and accomplishment?

Alas, meeting a goal means setting a tougher one....back to work.

• 4 weeks later...

Couple of weeks later and I continue to work on this. Broke a bunch of personal records yesterday, figured to brag a bit.

for draw and three loads went 3.37.

.84 draw

.82 load (1st pouch)

.84 load (2nd pouch)

.87 load (3rd pouch)

All three loads were new personal bests.

Hoping for a .79 by the end of the month....

I should post a pic of it on here. There have always been those "who practices" pictures, and this one would be a contender. A Gorgeous new custom S_I, fluted barrel, NP# finish, and a magwell that looks like I shaped it with a cheese grater.

When I was trying to learn to go fast with the ICE a couple of years ago, I actually had to change inserts, the thing got so rough it would cut your hand when you seated a mag at speed.

Hey!!! Race Cars need tires.

• 2 months later...
When I was trying to learn to go fast with the ICE a couple of years ago, I actually had to change inserts, the thing got so rough it would cut your hand when you seated a mag at speed.

I regularly take abuse from folks because my magwell is so nice and pristine...right after I change inserts.

Dirtpool40, that are some lightning times, cool and congratz! The best I've had during an el prez is 1.02, I'm lefty and do the mag release with the trigger finger, have to shift the gun too much in my hand to be lightning fast but I'm ok.

However I don't expect too many static reloads at the WS so my practice is more on being smooth while on the move.

-Between positions - what is the minimum distance I need!

- from standing to kneeling to prone to standing ect.

- while running at full throttle.

I just saw the other thread on reloads... Blast-off is a good term..

Dalmas makes some good points. That's kinda where I was headed with the "Blast off" drill.

Well, I broke down and changed out my magwell, I was catching too much ribbing here. Now if I can "fuzz" this one up from too much practice by the FL Open, then I should have put the time in...

Pushed back my personal best by a few hundredths the other day. .76 to an "A". No, that's not the norm yet, but a new PB always feels good. When you slow back down, all of the sudden a .96 at two tenths slower seems pretty do-able.

• 1 month later...